[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard would it be to build a desk like this? It costs a grand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

How hard would it be to build a desk like this? It costs a grand to buy so I'm hoping it would be cheaper to do it myself. Is it a suitable beginners project?
>>
>>1118968
Price out two sheets of plywood. You have your answer
>>
>>1118970
It's under $100. I guess the choice is clear. Thanks
>>
>>1118968
>It costs a grand to buy
rly
>>
>>1118977
http://mgeardesign.ca/workstations.php
>>
>>1118977
So you think it's overpriced?
>>
>>1118970

That looks like MDF, not plywood.

So 50$ MDF, 30$ for some heavy duty slides with detente, 30$ for paint. The black paint can be cheap, but you want good poly for the top coat.
>>
>>1118992
if someone is willing to pay for that, sure, good for the shop, but it doesn't take much to make one
>>
>>1118997
The site says 100% furniture grade 3/4" maple veneer
>>
>>1118999

Maple veneered MDF exists, I'd expect them to say plywood if it's actually plywood. In some ways MDF is better, will not bend as much under light load ... but it will crack under heavy load.

I prefer desks I can stand on, which isn't going to happen with 3/4" of MDF.
>>
>>1118968
It's trivial to make it if you have a facility that cuts and trims particle board according to your blueprints near you. We have a shitload of those in my country, I don't know where you're from. But basically you make a blueprint, give them a list of what you want, and they will even put the trimmings for you etc. so all you have to do is drill holes and put particle board screws in it.
>>
>I prefer desks I can stand on, which isn't going to happen with 3/4" of MDF.

Are you an austistic whale ?
>>
>>1119105

Are you an austenite little girl?

>http://mgeardesign.ca/workstations.php

Look at the datasheet for the contour for instance, rated for 50 lbs.
>>
>>1119127
look at it's shity design for instance. rated for butt fucking your wallet.
>>
>>1119154

3/4 inch of MDF simply won't take much load. Plywood quite a bit more, but standing on it would create far more sag than you'd want.

The only way to make a desktop that thin and capable of taking a lot of weight is using some steel in it.
>>
>>1118992
>Our workstations are completely handcrafted to the highest quality of craftsmanship using 100% premium furniture grade 3/4" Maple veneer wood and joined together using pocket hole screw joints for the best quality possible.

kek
>>
>>1119542

High quality Ikea.. kek.

I have a desk similar to this one but with a hutch over it. Probably spend $50 on the whole thing. That's way too much for a pos desk like that. Even the office stores have better for less.
>>
>>1118968
thats a preaty easy desk its like 15 pices you need to glue/ screw dogether. just make the dimensions on paper and let the guys in your local woodstore or whatever cut tem to size or you can make it your self if you have table or circular saw
>>
>>1118968
Shouldn't be hard to build. But these workstations are built to last. This isn't home consumer walmart shit.
>>
>>1119542
Wow, I thought you were making a joke, but it actually says that.
>>
>>1119542

>pocket holes
oh shit my sides
>>
inbuilt monitor stands are a joke, you should position them behind the desk slightly, even for near fields
>>
How do you get that black plastic finish?
It isn't paint. Is it some type of enamel?
>>
>>1119975
lamin8
>>
>>1119945
I think you're right. I'm gonna get stands instead and try to build something like this
>>
>>1120072
perfect timing, i just reopened this thread.

dont fall for it, keep in mind you need some space in front of the keyboard for ergonomics.

i take it you're starting out as a producer? an angled desk like this minimises space and i find them awkward to work with. while shelves like this may seem cool and neat but once you get into actually serious gear it will seem terrible and if you fizzle out (like most do) you'll also be left with a less functional desk. its not suited to a modular set up producers require when its this small. also no space for a midi keyboard unless you get one of those extremely small pos ones or fall for those button controllers (do no buy one of those ableton things for example), only get an 8 key one for drums perhaps.

also not to diss on you but a desk like this is a pretty serious project, you'll probs not have the cash or the tools to reach this quality. this will sound terrible but honestly buy an interior door (strong one, $50 or so) and develop a leg system for it. perhaps buy some legs from ikea (only decent thing they have imo). and if you really want that angled thing buy some desk organisers from an office shop or build some out of wood.

also as a last note a set up like this wont accommodate a second monitor which is absolutely essential to using daws to their potential
>>
Just build it with Kee Klamps. They come in aluminum and galvanized steel and all you need is a hex key to tighten the set screws to aluminum pipes. You can go on Ebay and find pretty good deals on the fittings and pipes.

Here is a gallery with pictures.
http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/projects/photos/desks/
>>
I don't have any tools but want to make a desk out of wood and whatever else is cheap.

I know I need a sander and a drill and a hand saw, but what else do I need?

Also what material do I use to make a sturdy desk? I'm willing to read about the subject in depth, I just have no idea where to start.
>>
>>1120185

> I know I need a sander and a drill and a hand saw, but what else do I need?

No, you don't. A block, some sandpaper and some effort does it too. Hell, if you really want to shape the wood yourself hand I'd sooner add a circular saw for the desktop.

That said, it's easier to just ask the lumber yard to cut stuff to size (hardware stores do it too, but the quality of the cuts is unpredictable).

What to use to build depends on a few things :

Do you want individual legs or are solid boards on the side/back acceptable? Boards are an easy way to get sturdiness, which is why many cheap desks use it.

Do you mind having skirt on the front of the desk? Limits leg room, but again an easy way to get sturdiness.

Do you want to be able to sit/stand on it?
>>
>>1120077

An actually solid plywood door is a good desktop, but will cost more than 50$ new.

Most doors are not solid plywood and the core structure isn't designed to be mounted horizontally, it will sag over the years.
>>
>>1119542
>joined together using pocket hole screw joints for the best quality possible
kek
This hipster diy faggotry need to stop.
>>
>>1120210
>Do you want individual legs or are solid boards on the side/back acceptable? Boards are an easy way to get sturdiness, which is why many cheap desks use it.

I prefer individual legs but am not diametrically opposed to a board on the back for structural integrity.

>Do you mind having skirt on the front of the desk? Limits leg room, but again an easy way to get sturdiness.

Not sure what a skirt is in terms of desk.

>Do you want to be able to sit/stand on it?

I would like to be able to in terms of sturdiness, but I have no plans on sitting on it. Heaviest thing on it will be a 50 pound computer.

>No, you don't. A block, some sandpaper and some effort does it too.

If it's feasible to make screw holes and stuff without drills and just arm power I am more than willing to do it by hand. I don't want to make a ton of things so I don't mind it taking longer.

Ideally I just want to end up with something like pic related for a very cheap price. I don't care if the legs are made of wood or not either.
>>
>>1120215
gotta find those discounts. it doesnt even need to be new, look through second hand places like craigs, gumtree whatever
>>
File: hand crafted monitor stands.jpg (89KB, 942x556px) Image search: [Google]
hand crafted monitor stands.jpg
89KB, 942x556px
>>1118968
how did you find this company? These prices...
>>
>>1120588
those look dopebtho. Dec's nt price for whay it is
>>
>>1120601
It's plywood and screws. You could literally buy the tools you need to make it at that price.
>>
>>1120625
i have no idea what to do, good price that cant bea bete
>>
>>1120629
Then why are you even on this board? And it's literally
>Make base out of plywood
>Make top out of plywood
>Make middle out of plywood
>Join everything with e.g. glue and screws
>Sand at some point
>Paint/lacquer/stain or something
You could even make it adjustable height really easy and it wouldn't cost more than one of those if you also buy the necessary tools. The plain materials shouldn't exceed 50 bucks, 30/piece if you're making more than two at the same time.
>>
>>1120649
diy is basically the only place to discuss furniture
>>
>>1120659
/g/ and /v/ will talk about furniture if its relevant to their interests (office chairs, computer desks, so on)
/fa/ has interior design threads sometimes
>>
File: 1360800229018.gif (3MB, 190x143px) Image search: [Google]
1360800229018.gif
3MB, 190x143px
>>1119542
>$1000+ desks
>MDF
>Pocket holes
>minimal cross bracing
>>
goto craigslist / kijiji

search "IKEA Jerker" desk. they don't make them anymore, but its arms and legs are steel.

buy used desk for ~$100, infinitely configurable, sturdy as fuck.
>>
>>1121396
Thanks . You saved me 900 $
>>
Just buy some aluminum extrusions cut to size and reinforce plywood with it. It'll cost like 50 bucks for some extrusions to create a desktop frame and you can just lay some plywood on top. It'll hold like 200lb
>>
>>1119542
>pocket holes into MDF
sounds like a bad time
>>
>>1122242
Sounds like it's plywood.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.