[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good advice for someone trying to start a small rooftop garden

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: palletgarden.jpg (116KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
palletgarden.jpg
116KB, 720x720px
Any good advice for someone trying to start a small rooftop garden using pallets? What plants are useful to grow with little space? I live in the Netherlands btw, to give you an idea of the climate

So far I have two pallets I found by dumpster diving.
>>
Have you thought of growing coriander, parsley, mint, basil, or rosemary?
>>
>>1118876
Yeah, I'll probably have those

I was thinking of growing some berries aswell but I think they need more space
>>
>>1118874
kill next door neighbors and use their apt for space
>>
Is the roof your yonly option for location?
>>
>>1118874
Yeah... dont use pallets.
>>
>>1118949
great idea anon, will remember that

>>1118954
yeah, balcony is too small and I don't have a garden

>>1118960
Why not? I'm not doing it for hipster cred, it's useful to me because it's vertical
>>
>>1119012
>Why not?
Pallets are soaked in insecticide so invasive species don't get shipped around the world. Much stronger stuff than what's legal to spray on gardens in most places. They're also used to ship hazardous substances that can leak into the wood.
>>
You can make hanging gardens pretty easy.

Drill a hole into the bottom of a pot and you can probably get a plant on top and on bottom.

If you have pallets you want to use make sure they are not toxic.

Look into a pyramid garden if the pallets are safe. It's a small vertical garden that's space efficient and attractive. There are other ways to turn safe wood into a decent garden
>>
>>1119029
stop interfering with the Hipster Eugenics Program, anon. Just a few years from now, its success shall be visible, the beard-n-beanie plague vanquished, and their offspring immune to Dutch Elm Disease.
>>
>>1119029
>>1119036
>>1119051
I googled it a bit, and my pallets have no stamps or anything and I don't live in a third world country, I'm pretty sure it's safe

I like the pyramid garden idea, but I'm not /diy/ enough to make one, I'll just use them like in the pic I attached to the OP
>>
File: Small-Garden-potato.jpg (168KB, 600x780px) Image search: [Google]
Small-Garden-potato.jpg
168KB, 600x780px
Here is a small thing I saved a while ago. haven't tried it myself yet, but maybe it helps for what you want to do. For maximizing food output it is probably the best way
>>
>>1119072
Logistics manager here.

Unstanped pallets are a bad idea.

We stamp pallets to know what has been done to them. And unstamped pallet could hve had anything done to it, shipped anything, been treated with anything, any you will never know.

If you like the palllet ascetic, but a pallet like shape using new white wood or cedar.

It is a basic design and all you need are a hand saw, and a drill/driver for the screws.
>>
>>1119122
I'm not gonna be sawing up the pallets themselves, just attach wooden boards to form planters

surely it can't be that dangerous?
>>
>>1118874
why not simple shelves with narrow long planters?
You could set it away from a wall so it gets more sun to each level.
>>
>>1119462
the point is the chemicals leech into the soil and the plant soaks them up
if you like dead plants that you are never going to eat its a great idea.
>>
File: P7200246.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P7200246.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>1119082
I did this last year. It's a great beginners project. But watch out that you don't plant to many potato plants. If they are to close to each other they wont produce many (big) potatoes. I'm growing this in Belgium
>>
>>1119476
Damn. Could I put the soil in bags then so that it's not in contact with the wood?
>>
>>1119493
Why do you want to use pallet so
Much? Pines dirt cheap.
>>
>>1119498
I'm fucking shit at DIY stuff so it seemed practical to me to use pallets instead of manufacturing planters myself.
>>
>>1119499
I know literal retards that are carpenters and making pallets is as low as you can go as far as carpentry go. You,ll be nailing 6 or 7 boards together . They dont even have to be cut to the same size.
>>
>>1119519
Alright, buying boards it is then. Thanks for the replies, guess there isn't an easy way out.
>>
>>1119641

Although right about the leeching you must realize that using pallets is simply far too mainstream for /diy/.
>>
>>1119082
I'm keen to try this, how much sunlight would it need? Would the wood need to be treated in any way?
>>
>>1119814
If your eating the the things grown in the planter you do not want treated wiod.

Treat wood is treated with things you do not want to eat.

This isnt an organic freegan crunchy argument. I grow with all the gmo and agro chem i want. But i still dont uae treated wood in planters.
>>
>>1118874
If your pallets sat HT or EUR, they're fine. (Heat Treated / European).

Landscape fabric makes a good liner.
>>
>>1118876
kek
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (265KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
265KB, 1920x1080px
>>1118960
Seriously. This. Look into rain gutters. Perfect for herbs, berries, lettuces all the stuff you'd want to grow on your patio. Can even mount them to your pallets to avoid damage to the walls. Have done this at several apartments in the past.
>>
File: bigsmile.jpg (10KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
bigsmile.jpg
10KB, 235x235px
>>1119972
>mfw I just checked and it does say 'HT'
ayy, seems like I'll be saving effort anyway

I appreciated everyone's expertise nonetheless, I had no idea that fucking wood could be toxic

>>1120194
I like the idea, I'd expect rain gutters to be too shallow to grow stuff
>>
>>1120653
They are not. And you can always just buy farm gutters. Thos suckers are big and still cheap.
>>
>>1120653
Fool
>>
>>1119051

>immune to Dutch elm

Fucking lost it
>>
File: _20161026_214746.jpg (2MB, 3894x2988px) Image search: [Google]
_20161026_214746.jpg
2MB, 3894x2988px
>>1118874
Wiet planten. Je mag er max 3 of 5. Geen idee hoeveel precies. Kies een soort die niet sterk ruikt en niet te groot word. In de Lente kan je ze planten, zodra het vriezen is gestopt.

Als je voedsel wilt kan je simpelweg je wiet verkopen en daarvan eten kopen.
>>
>>1121046
aan wiet heb ik niks in de komende apocalyps, ik wil eten kunnen groeien
>>
>>1118877
Strawberries need just a container, mulch layer on top of soil so they wouldnt dry out quickly, and full sun. I grow like 30 them.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.