[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to make a guitar but I'm having troubles.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: $_32.jpg (25KB, 588x588px) Image search: [Google]
$_32.jpg
25KB, 588x588px
I'm trying to make a guitar but I'm having troubles. How would I cut these cavities without a mill or a plunge router?
>>
>>1118011
With little or no accuracy but personally I'd find a brad point bit or forstner bit to match the extremity of the opening and then use a chisel to break a line between the OD and remove the waste.

If you had one it could also be quicker to use a OST and wood cutting tool.
>>
>>1118011
Some mighty fine chiselling. Then again if you have to ask you probably don't have the skill. No offence. It would probably be cheaper to buy a small router than the specific chisels you need and sharpen them all properly and shit.
Doesn't need to be a plunge router if you start it off with a drill. Lots and lots of sand paper?
>>
If you're dextrous enough you can chop it out with a chisel and a mallet, like you would a mortise. You can work your way with a Forstner bit on a drill press if you're not man enough. You would end up with sharp rectangular holes rather than rounded ones, if that makes any sense.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (15KB, 415x415px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
15KB, 415x415px
Well right now I have something similar to this. I'm gonna cut it out with a friend's band saw.
>>
>>1118015 Samefag
Also, this >>1118014. You might want to check documentation on broader woodworking topics. Luthiers often say you can't do without a router, but learning I've realized that you should not trust luthiers.
>>
I have a fixed table router but not a plunge router, which is what is usually used to make these cavities.
>>
>>1118021
Well, you could build a jig for that, but considering the trouble of making it and the loss of control over the work; I would stick to the old chisel and mallet.
>>
>>1118015
It's not a fucking mortise.
>>
>>1118021
Could you just unbolt it from the table? Drill a hole so you're not plunging it in ?
>>
drill and masking tape.
>>
>>1118011
Forstner bit in a drill press and hand chisles.

I would use a plunge router even better if you have a template
>>
>>1118011
Look up bandsaw boxes and follow that concept. I think it would work in your situation.
>>
>>1118371
Horrible idea
>>
You could get stock that is like 3/8 inch thinner and do it in two halves - just band saw out the shapes. Then glue the two halves together and laminate a 3/8 inch piece across the back.
>>
>>1118011
Cut a pattern out of some plywood

Remove the fixed base router from the table put the plate on it with collar. Top the router into the cut base is until you flatten out. Follow the pattern. Pretty common technique. Also I don't think the cavities need to be real accurate since your pickguard will cover them so probably trace the edge of pg to ensure you don't go outside the lines.
>>
>>1118597
This is literally one of the chief methods for body blocks. They're only single carved pieces on high end ish.
>>
use a dremel
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.