[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How difficult and expensive would it be to build and old

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: maximum comfy.jpg (1MB, 1123x749px) Image search: [Google]
maximum comfy.jpg
1MB, 1123x749px
How difficult and expensive would it be to build and old style library?
>>
Ikea shelving and a lot of bullshit $1 books from the used bookstore.
>>
>>1117447
6/10 difficulty

8/10 cost
>>
>>1117447
The wood working isnt hard.
Cabinets and shelves are cake with pegs and pocket screws.

The wood for nice oak or cherry would be expensive.

The books. If you dont care what they are you can buy books by the yard/meter.
>>
>>1117447
>build and old style library?

I wish you success and urge you to stock it with several English 101 books as your first volumes.
>>
>>1117447
I don't imagine it would be too hard, unless you wanted to do the molding yourself. It would be pretty expensive though if using nice wood. Not sure if by old style you mean old styles of woodworking too. That would increase the cost and difficulty.
>>
You can make cheap wood look great with a stain, varnish,and polish.

It can be dirt cheap but labor intensive
>>
>>1117513
Because a single proofreading 101 tome would leave it looking a bit bare?
>>
Hard depends on your skill.

To build that shelf, panels and all, I'd estimate around 14 hours labor. Materials would be from $200 if you go birch plywood to $1000 if you wanted it authenticate solid hardwood.

The ladder would be another 6 hours and $500 in materials.
>>
>>1117567
Pine never really looks like an expensive wood regardless of labor in my opinion
>>
>>1117575
>14 hours
Paneling
Framing
Shelves
Leveling
Cleaning
Finishing
Installation, which is bound to include:
Correcting framing lumber to build on
Resetting all surrounding aspects so shit don't look tilted.
Cleaning up install mess

You should learn time.
>>
>>1117575
When you say "that shelf, panels and all", what exactly do you include? I'm a carpenter/builder contractor who occasionally accept jobs like this (albeit not quite so refined), and I'd need closer to 140 hours rather than 14 to hope to achieve this. Assuming you are a master cabinet maker, I'll never accept a job like this again if you guys can pull that off I that amount of time.
>>
>>1117704
Guru of wood

Pine is meant to be hidden or burned in an outdoor fire. Period.

Never hath a man of worth said "Thy pithy sap wood is most glorious"
12.3 Book Of Moxon
>>
>>1117713
I'd sub that out to retard-anon on a contract signed in front of your local judge for "14 hours + materials".
6 days later, you'd be entitled to whatever shit anon has.
>>
>>1117720
¿What?
>>
>>1117712
You're right, it could be done in way less time if you didn't have to wait for stain to dry
>>
People online have done it with billy bookcases from ikea.
>>
>>1117892
I think he's saying to hire the "can be done in 14 hours" poster as a sub contractor and bid it at materials and 14 hours of labor. That job is definitely 150-200 hours.
>>
>>1117715
That's bullshit.

It never looks expensive but holy fuck it's fine dude.

I've about 3 coffee tables, a dining table +6 chairs and countless bookcases made of pine.

Guess what, they haven't gotten wobbly after 20years of use.

If you're some snob about wood, then fine, stick to your teak and mahogany. If you have kids thou pine is pretty damn good
>>
>>1117981
Did you cover your pine with a stain or other finish?
>>
>>1117509

why would you not care about which books are on your shelves? do you even read, bro?
>>
>>1118234
It depends. People who like to read already have the books on hand. People who just want the look of a study library wouldn't care what was on the shelves.
>>
>tfw no metal and wood workshop because you can afford anything larger than a 2 bed apartment in shitty London.

>half a million pounds for a tiny bit of airspace 20m above the ground.

Fuck my life.
>>
>>1118357
unless they want to look well educated and cultured.
wouldn't do much good to have the whole collection of 50 shades or twilight.
>>
>>1117509
>>1118234
>>1118357
>>1118398
I actually really like the idea of buying a bunch of random vintage books as decor. Plus I love reading and it would provide hours of fun just grabbing something off the shelf at random and reading it.
>>
>>1117447
>and
an*
>>
>>1119404
I go to charity shops and buy engineering books.

I keep them on my work desk to read, people actually stop to come ask me a out them.
They call me 'old book barry'. I have quite a few friends now.
>>
>>1120036
>doublemint dave 2: the return of old book barry
>>
File: 1364330213876.jpg (168KB, 543x637px) Image search: [Google]
1364330213876.jpg
168KB, 543x637px
>>
>>1117575
General contractor detected
>>
>>1117991
Strangely no. They've been bare save for whatever they came treated with in the factory

On other wooden stuff I use Danish oil or teak oil or something but desu the pine stuff was always considered cheap and not worth the effort. Funny how the stuff we considered disposable lasted the longest
>>
>>1117981
I'm not the guy u were responding to, but it sounds like he was arguing that pine wouldn't be appropriate for OP's old-school library look. I can't imagine all the knots in the furniture would look good at all even if it was structurally sound.
>>
>>1117513
Fuck off autistic whore
>>
File: raised_panel_knotty_pine7[1].jpg (55KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
raised_panel_knotty_pine7[1].jpg
55KB, 533x400px
>>1120443
Some people like it. It is a different look, though. More rustic and less 'old world'.
>>
>>1120477
I never thought the day would come when I would see wood that looks like it has severe acne
>>
>>1117447
5-6$/lin ft
>>
>>1120477
comfy as fuck but not classy
>>
>>1121995
lol try again noob
>>
>>1117509
>If you dont care what they are you can buy books by the yard/meter.
What kind of neanderthal would build a library to fill it with crap?
>>
>>1117575
>500
>a ladder
living in the 3rd world isn´t as bad as i tought
here in Colombia that ladder would cost $250, even overpricing it and covering the wood stain.
>>
>>1120477

That would look better with a darker stain.
>>
>>1120168
Beautiful, I love this style. Do you have any more like this?
>>
>>1117981

>Mahogany is snob wood

>tfw you have to ship pine into your country but Mahogany grows in your backyard
>>
>>1122683

It's what unions do to a country.

Union carpenter has to box up some still for a 12' column? You better be ready to shell out thousands
>>
>>1120036
I go to thrift shop dumpsters and get some from time to time.

They're usually vintage and niche - 1940's college agriculture books talking about drenching livestock in pesticides or textbooks on pediatric surgeries.
>>
Cabinet-maker here.

>Take your measurements
>Take shitons of plywood
>Buy the same shitons of your richfag wood veneer plus few meters "just in case" (veneer fucks up often)
>Make your plywood bookcases and tables and whatever
>Cut and glue the veneer to all the visible plywood parts
>Assemble with dominos, tongue-and-groove joints, dowels, whatever you want except FUCKING POCKET HOLES
>Install all this shit in your room
>
>Enjoy

I suggest you the "broux de noix" (i think it's called simply walnut stain) on your veneer and use patina on all metal parts. Not too much, too much patina ruin all the job.
>>
>>1122949
why not pocket holes? just curious>?
>>
>>1117447
building out of teak like what your image appears to be will be stupidly expensive, even veneer over plywood will cost a mint. Oak stains nicely and will be about an 1/8th of the cost but doesn't have that nice grain.

Either way it will set you back the price of a very nice car if you don't already have a pretty fully equipped wood shop.
>>
File: 20170127_145210.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170127_145210.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1122897
Pls swap

Just fixed pic related mahogany table and chair set and sold for a small fortune. Ancient thing, went for a good price. Could have doubled it if I'd put the time into a full refinish, but the dude who bought it had ideas
>>
>>1122961
Because they are hard to hide and are not very good. They are cheap and fast. That is the only reason anyone uses them.
>>
>>1120040
Kek
>>
>>1123235
well, no, they also allow a slight amount of wood movement, so are a reasonable way to attach a tabletop to an apron.
>>
>>1122681
Some people believe that having a lot of books gives others the impression that they are intelligent.

Some people build large libraries solely for the purpose of impressing other people, and don't actually read that much.

There are some ways to tell. For example, which of these two libraries is owned by somebody who actually reads a lot.

(Keep in mind, somebody with lots of similar looking books COULD potentially be a lawyer or something)
>>
>>1123766
>>
>>1123766
They could be legit books, barnes and nobles sells the leather bound copy of lots of books.

I used to have a shitload of books that i read, but after moving a couple times it got old very fast, not to mention having to keep them clean. All I keep now are textbooks from college or reference material that I might need to go back and read. Fiddler on the roof and moby dick can eat a dick in ebook format.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.