[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I homebrew Evapo Rust? I have no chemical knowledge, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: image_23700.jpg (230KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_23700.jpg
230KB, 1200x1200px
How do I homebrew Evapo Rust? I have no chemical knowledge, but what I do know is that Evaporust is scentless, has no acids, and is probably some small amount of a certain secret sauce that I can probably source for cheap, heavily diluted with water.

I'm thinking it would be handy to have a kiddy pool's worth of Evaporust for dunking entire bike frames and other large rusty objects.
>>
Look at the MDSD?
>>
File: 1484387696012.jpg (141KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484387696012.jpg
141KB, 768x960px
>>1117096
>mdsd
>>
>>1117105

Its not like I'm a dain bramaged dyslexic or anything
>>
>>1117092
>no acids, VOCs, or fumes
>pure fucking garbage

Why would you even bother? Just DIY some heat duty acids and dip it in for 5 seconds
>>
>>1117293
Evaporust cleans rust off more thoroughly than acid. Also it doesn't attack the base metal. It's just way way superior to acid.
>>
>>1117092
electrolysis is cheaper

box of washing soda (few $)
bunch of scrap iron for positive electrode (free?)
battery charger (2-10A? $20)
large enough plastic container
>>
>>1117092

I don't know about that stuff, but vinegar and salt works great. Let sit submerged for a few minutes to a day or two (depending on the job) and hit it with something abrasive. It will come right off.

Wash off the vinegar and immediately apply a coat of WD40. Then, once the metal is protected, go ahead and apply a real lubricant.
>>
>>1117293
>>pure fucking garbage

Sez the guy who's never used Evapo-Rust.
>>
>>1117096
>Did you finish your safety training Tom?
>Yea I learned all about those damn MDSDs, that's why I always wear a condom
>>
>>1117105
MSDS
Material Safety Data Sheet

:) I have to keep these things at work.
>>
>>1117625
>MSDS
I have to keep these things at work.

No you don't. You have to keep SDS now. Formerly known known as MSDS.
>>
I've personally used this stuff and it managed to eat all the rust off a door hinge from my car
>>
>>1117653

step up your game
>just dip whole body panels
>>
>>1117382
Use https://www.amazon.com/CRC-06026-Heavy-Corrosion-Inhibitor/dp/B0000AXYA0

WD40 an utter shit, tho it's wonderful for machining aluminum.
>>
>>1117681
You don't want to use that goop to wash off the vinegar. You want the WD-40 to work its way into all the nooks and trannies and displace the moisture. Then you can spray the real corrosion inhibitor, of which Fluid Film is the best.
>>
>>1117092
These things are all just chelating agents and detergent.

Chelating agents bind to stuff and make them water soluable. The best agent for rust is EDTA since it preferentially binds to heavy metals. The SDS on Evapo Rust lists only a "non-hazardous chelating agent" and "non-hazardous detergent."

EDTA is considered non-hazardous, and I would suspect that the detergent would be something like TSP.

If you wanted to go this route I would start with 100:10:1 water:edta:tsp and see how it works.
>>
>>1117641

Ok we understand you got your first job
>>
File: 1478803228805.jpg (22KB, 480x395px) Image search: [Google]
1478803228805.jpg
22KB, 480x395px
>>1117653
I have some surface rust on my car I want to fix before it becomes an issue. How did you fix yours?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.