[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I want to make a hover bike, but I'm at a bit of a loss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

File: maxresdefault.jpg (787KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
787KB, 3000x1688px
So, I want to make a hover bike, but I'm at a bit of a loss of how to go about it. What kind of rotors can I buy capable of lifting about 50-75kg of weight each? Or half that if I decide to go with four rotors instead of two. Obviously pic related is not me, but it's kind of like what I want to build.
>>
Oh, and I'm totally aware this is an "impractical" project. I don't need any smartasses telling me to do something useful. I'm fully aware that this is a complete waste of time, I don't give a shit. If it works it'll be fun as shit, that's all I care about.
>>
>>1116098
Why is the rotor the thing youre worried about
>>
>>1116101
it's not going to work though.
>>
File: 1468325131677.gif (2MB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1468325131677.gif
2MB, 450x450px
>>1116098
Furz did it. It was bullshit. Don't waste your time and money.

>pic unrelated
>>
Fuck this bike OP. Make something cooler. Why not a unicorn?
>>
I believe the hoverbike guy used a motorcycle engine.

Go for it, dude!

People have built jetpacks. The JP-9 has like 10 minutes of flight time IIRC
>>
Two smaller props in the front and back would probably work better for stability.
>>
>>1116124
>>1116133
Why wouldn't it work?
>>1116123
I don't know, I just never bought rotors before so I don't know how to start looking. Everything I've seen so far just shows me boat motors and shit.
>>1116163
Do you think it would be possible to use an electric motor?
>>
Are you the batman gauntlet guy?
Please stop.
>>
>>1116098
They are not rotors....

They are the prop assembly from an ultra light.
>>
>>1116192
you have a lot of research to be doing before you start asking /diy/ for shit.
this is super simplified but its probably all you could comprehend.
http://www.heli-chair.com/aerodynamics_101.html
your design requirements are that it needs to create a thrust of x lbf. therefore based on what rotor size you choose you'll know what engine you need. this is where all the designs fail. there are very little engines that are light enough (and not ridiculously expensive) to produce the power you're looking for.
you see in your pic how the entire frame is carbon fiber?
yeah somehow i dont think you've got this OP.
>>
>>1116192

Batteries available to the /diy/ laymen aren't as energy dense as gasoline.

Use a motor.

You'll look cool as fuck flying into a gas station.
>>
File: tmp_16069-FlyingBrick1643233238.jpg (26KB, 191x223px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_16069-FlyingBrick1643233238.jpg
26KB, 191x223px
Amazingdiyprojects has a pretty decent breakdown of a homemade gas motor copter. (He is working on an electric version with like ~30 motors+props)
On his first gas engine copter, he used aluminum piping and a flight controller to make it work. On second copter (electric), he also uses aluminum.
Lockheed Martin described their jets like flying bricks. You can make anything fly. But for how long, and how efficient? For amazingdiyprojects, flight time averages 12 minutes before refueling. Which is similar to the flight times of many other electric copter projects.
So dont listen to these fools talking about excessive inefficiencies. Theyll tell you styrofoam gliders are too heavy.
Ive always loved the idea of tiltrotor, and wondered why theyre so unpopular (besides obvious complexity and safety concerns). There are a few drones that feature tilt rotor and tilt wing designs. Maybe take a look?
>>
>>1116220
What about a small rotary engine? The power to weight ratio in those are really good, though they tend to have high emissions (which is one reason they're not really popular in automobiles). There were plans in the works to use 4 wankel motors in a flying car, but the idea never really "took off".
>>
Make triangle frame and use 3 engines/rotars for better stability, and use x+y axis tilt frames on each for control
>>
File: 1466597821212.jpg (31KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1466597821212.jpg
31KB, 600x600px
>>1116245
Fixed wing is its own ball game little dude.
If you have an aggressive enough angle and enough power in your engines you can make anything fly.
Rotary wing requires direct thrust greater than the weight of the thing.
Also
> ~30 motors+props)
>So dont listen to these fools talking about excessive inefficiencies
>>
>>1116254
>Fixed wing is its own ballgame
Well yeah. Wing is providing lift, rotors privide thrust.
>??? ???
Proof of point, bricks can fly. Soon as op tries and fails, op will git gudder at designing better lift/weight ratios.
Got to start somewhere.
>>
>>1116207
No I'm not that faggot.
>>1116220
Right, I get that. But I just need to make the frame extremely light. I know how to do that, and even if I can't make a carbon frame from scratch, I can still assemble something from various parts.

I used to make rubber band powered aircraft as a kid, so I read a lot about flight physics. I know it isn't as easy as turning a lawnmower engine on its side and slapping a propeller on.
>>
>>1116220
Right, so I figured just now that with 2x4ft rotors, 30hp can produce ~380lbs of thrust. Now is it possible to find a motor that produces that much power amd can also carry its own weight + myself? I'm not very heavy, only about 120lbs, so that leaves about 260lbs for the motor + frame. Obviously I would want the motor + frame to weigh some less than that because I want to go up a bit, not just hover in place. Alternatively, using a 35hp motor and a third prop like>>1116249 suggested will produce ~479lbs thrust.

So, yeah, the main problem lies in making the frame and motor light enough to lift. But it really doesn't seem impossible based on what I know so far. I could just be an idiot overlooking some major setback though.
>>
>>1116303
Are you sure you can get 380lb of thrust from those rotors 4ft rotors with 30hp? Is it 30hp per rotor or 30hp total?

Electric drive is the best option but depending on power requirements you will need an IC engine powering a generator with some batteries providing a buffer for short bursts above what the engine can provide.
>>
>>1116332
30hp total, 15hp per rotor.
>>
>>1116340
30 HP is easy even with just batteries. Which rotor is it and what are the RPM/torque requirements? I can check which motor will work.
>>
>>1116303
There's important shit to account for like friction loss.
I would go as conservative as possible on your systems and as light as possible on your structure.
>>
Furze's design was an incredibly dangerous ground effect vehicle which was slower than a chainsaw powered minibike yet able to slice your head clean off given the slightest mishap.

Considering all the shit he's survived, I'm pretty sure at this stage that Furze is a mutant with luck-centric probability manipulation powers.
>>
>>1116542
*to add. If you want to make something a little safer, perhaps look into making an Ekranoplan. Start off by making an air boat then modify the hull to act as a lifting surface (think a catamaran with a central surface which dips into the water at the back) and add some stubby wings. At least if you eat shit on one of those, you're less likely to be pitched into the propeller and you're crashing on water.
>>
>>1116098
Just do something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWlkHELjlo

cant go wrong

very easy

but a bit expensive

maybe order bigger motors and props so you need less
>>
>bike rises 10 feet into the air
>Trim wasn't perfect because DIY project
>tilts very slightly sending OP rolling over upside down, thrusting him upside down into the asphalt

At least it was more exciting than an exit bag
>>
>>1116098
check the catalog. Plenty of anons have already built hoverbikes.
>>
>>1116560
Obviously I'm going to test it many different ways before doing any high altitude manned flights. I'm not just going to slap it together, hop on, and go.
>>
File: Hoverbike BP 1.png (87KB, 533x603px) Image search: [Google]
Hoverbike BP 1.png
87KB, 533x603px
Here's a quick sketch of some of the basic design elements, structure wise. This is by no means a final product. 2 squares = 1 foot. I hope to build the frame out of light weight poles.
>>
>>1116657
Lol
>>
>>1116560

How could you make the props able to rotate at variable speeds to adjust trim?

Not OP, just curious
>>
>>1116661
I would have thought the way to control something like this was tilting yourself.
>>
File: 1475787917009.png (192KB, 613x384px) Image search: [Google]
1475787917009.png
192KB, 613x384px
>>1116657
>those circles
>those lines
>on squared fucking paper
>>
>>1116698
I drew it in paint with a touchpad laptop. Cut me some slack.
>>1116684
Nah, you'd control it by alternating the power to the rotors and perhaps using microcontrollers to tikt the rotors. Obviously you can't easily do this without some serious skill, so I'll try to give it a flight computer that converts the direction you tilt the handlebars into tilt/power. If I fuck up really badly, Darwin wins this round.
>>
File: 20170117_162627.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_162627.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1116659
>>1116698
Here's some better drawn plans for you guys.
>>
>>1116704
> paint
> circle and line tools available

Sorry, remind me again why you're not retarded..?
>>
File: 1476158233055.jpg (41KB, 327x368px) Image search: [Google]
1476158233055.jpg
41KB, 327x368px
>>1116709
This would be cute if you weren't posting this like 5 times a day killing decent threads.
>>
>>1116768
I only made one thread, I can't speak for anybody else. Just posting in a single thread that already exists isn't going to kill anything. If you see other threads that are being posted, they aren't me.
>>
>>1116657
>>1116709
are you 12?
>>
>>1116781
Look I know it's a shitty and autistic drawing but you have to start somewhere.
>>
>>1116783
most people start with calculations to check if it's even possible to lift something off the ground
>>
>>1116800
Read the fucking thread. I already calculated what I would need for liftoff.
>>
>>1116802
good luck getting killed
>>
>>1116802
And so how much lift per blade do you actually need? Including the weight of the frame.

How big will the blades need to be?

How thick can you make the frame without it bending under the stress?

How much will the engine weigh?

+ fuel?

All you have shown so far is a shitty drawing.

Two shitty drawings in fact.
>>
>>1116807
This fag keeps making these threads, has been since Furze did his ground effect mobility scooter. They're either just bait, or he's never going to actually build anything.
>>
>>1116807
I'd like to add the motor power/torque characteristics and propellor thrust in function of the rotational speed
>>
>>1116816
Google translate came back with: "lolz how do I math?"
>>
>>1116816
>>1116817
I was going to ask for a translation, thanks.
>>
>>1116817

Not OP but I have a learning disability and it shouldn't prevent me from building what I wanna build. I shouldn't be a burden on society until I die.

They make artificial limbs and such.... Don't they have tools to help retards like me?
>>
>>1116807
Forget about the fucking drawings, that isn't important. I just drew some shitty sketches to see how much space there was for a human body and if it would actually work because that would take less time than calculating the shape of an entire human body. Just forget about the damn drawings.
>>1116811
This is the first thread I've made about this though, I don't know or care if other people already have.
>>
>>1116822
Yeah, they call it a calculator.
>>
File: 1480305421484.jpg (30KB, 600x503px) Image search: [Google]
1480305421484.jpg
30KB, 600x503px
>>1116824
Absolutely savage.
>>
>>1116824

I mean I suck at applied mathematics.

I've never been trained or learned shit about how math can be used in the real world aside from counting money and counting things that apply to menial jobs.

Things like gear ratios, timing, displacement, etc are over my head
>>
>>1116828
Then don't try and build a flying machine.
>>
>>1116828
sounds like you didn't try. in that case, go fuck yourself
>>
>>1116822
cmon man dont let a learning disability stop you from chasing your dreams in the sky. you can do this. no crutches, only rainbows.
>>
>>1116832

I'm not OP but I'll do it if I want and can.

I'm bored as hell.

>>1116835

Dude public schools suck at teaching you how to apply math in the real world.

>>1116868

Its kinda like telling a hobbled person not to give up on their dream of being a dancer but whatever
>>
>>1116880
>Its kinda like telling a hobbled person not to give up on their dream of being a dancer but whatever

then give up you self pitying retard
>>
>>1116823
>I don't know or care if other people already have.
You should. other people's failures can save you money and plenty of time. Check the catalog, it's all been discussed ad nauseam.
>>
>>1116884

Its my party and I'll cry if I want to.
>>
Wouldn't you be better off just replacing the rotors with skirts and having yourself an edgy hovercraft? At least then you'd have an actually functioning vehicle of sorts.
And if you wanna remain steadfast in a rotorcraft, why not emulate a tandem rotor helicopter? Those also actually function, albeit at a level of complexity probably outside your or any average anon's ability.
>>
>>1116880
then build a kit copter or some shit and stop whining on here
>>
>>1116938

Those are pricey as fuck.

I figure I'd build my own if I want.

Quit raining on my pity parade.
>>
File: flynano-microlight-aircraft-4.jpg (46KB, 769x389px) Image search: [Google]
flynano-microlight-aircraft-4.jpg
46KB, 769x389px
Actually electric might be OK....

Look at this thing
>>
cheaper + possibly safer:
https://youtu.be/c0KzLeCm-Jw?t=47

possible but you might get chopped to death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omv_WdryGRc
>>
>>1117127
Someone could always try a coanda effect type, you can have a radial fan sucking air in from a relatively narrow vent and blowing it over a hemisphere.
>>
>>1117132
This one has axial blades, I don't know what the efficiency is like vs normal props.
>>
>>1116924
Put on a brave face and keep going until you fail.
Then try again.
>>
>>1117132

The coanda effect is limited in application.

Honestly props and a motorcycle engine are the way to go IMO.
>>
File: i_116.jpg (69KB, 650x632px) Image search: [Google]
i_116.jpg
69KB, 650x632px
Id love to know more about building vehicles (like say tanks or spaceships and whatnot) just interested in theory/schematics, im too poor to even dream about building something cool. Absolutely new to this, any engineering manuals/books to recommend?
>>
>>1117546

Just learn basic mechanics.

Its only complicated because its a lot of simple systems. It can get overwhelming.
>>
>>1117600
Thanks! Will do that then <3
Have a great day and a great life!
>>
>>1116098
well im glad i inspired you to build this. if you want we could work together and i can share all i know
>>
>>1116192
>Do you think it would be possible to use an electric motor?
lmao why don't you build a fucking kite before you start running with the big dogs

BARK BARK
>>
>>1116101
>if itt works it'll be fun as shit, that's all I care about.
I feel the diy spirit within you
>>
>>1117546
Pretty sure I could build a light tank
>>
>>1116709
HAI I USED RULER DIS TIME
>>
It's not going to build itself, OP.
>>
>>1118032
>Pretty sure I could build a light tank
Have detailed blueprints for old slav equipment like t-55s or mig-21s ever been posted online?
>>
>>1116303
fan + motor + frame + fuel + motion of your body applying force as you move it around (creating a lever arm and changing the center of mass, putting more force than your mass on one side or the other).
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.