[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't I do this? I just want to learn to fix sweaters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1484545650642998110875.jpg (726KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1484545650642998110875.jpg
726KB, 1440x2560px
Why can't I do this? I just want to learn to fix sweaters and maybe make scarves. Any advice for begginers?
>>
Btw I'm crocheting with an H/5mm hook and using "4" weighted yarn. I have a few more weights of yarn an a G sized hook.
>>
>>1115636
What kind of yarn? Some types are more forgiving than others for a beginner.
>>
>>1115621
Cutting your nails
>>
>>1115643
I've got a few kinds of yarn, the grey I'm using is kind starting to come apart a bit, but I've stitched and undone the ends a few times by now. I keep seeming to get a small chain going then I guess I switch the way I hold the hook or something, and I'll get like a knot and then some more chain but it never quite goes back. I've watched several tutorials on YouTube but everyone seems to do it differently.
>>
>>1115621
From what I can see, you're just pulling too tight on some of the loops, making the chain uneven. Don't worry about the type of yarn at the moment, as it doesn't really make a difference when your learning. Also, as far as hook size goes, as long as it's not too small or too big, you should be fine.

Other than that, it's really mostly just practice. Maybe try going double thick on the yarn and just practicing going back and forth with a double stitch for a while. The thickness of the yarn and the repetetive motion of the double stitch will help build the muscle memory in you wrists and arms. This is what I did.

>>1115675
Also this, please
>>
>>1115621
You don't really want to pull on the yarn much if at all.

get a length of it out of the skein or ball and keep it loose. When you're pulling the loops through come out just enough to chain through it. use the diameter of the hook to 'open' it by going all the way through it while grabbing your working end.

The biggest thing to getting it down is to just practice practice practice.

Also, material choices matter. Using a synthetic yarn on a metal hook is just too damn slipper whether you're knitting or crochet. For synthetics I prefer wood needles and hooks. I have a bamboo set I got from china for what amounts to only shipping that I absolutely love for synthetics.

wool and cottons will work fine on metal hooks since they'll grab more.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.