[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup diy so at work we are getting ready to clean out one of our

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 20170113_090639.jpg (2MB, 2938x2204px) Image search: [Google]
20170113_090639.jpg
2MB, 2938x2204px
sup diy
so at work we are getting ready to clean out one of our bolt barns a half million dollars worth of bolts are going to the scrapper because corporate wants it gone

well my boss said I can have about 20-30 bolts with washer and nuts

its mostly galvanized inch and a half and inch and a quarter bolts I can get anywhere from 3 to 35 inch long bolts

whats a good project for them I hate to pass up this opportunity because they are brand new bolts that are over 50$ a piece to buy them

pic kind of related its what i do at my job
>>
>>1114204
Build a roller coaster in your Mom's back yard.
>>
>>1114204
>its mostly galvanized inch and a half and inch and a quarter bolts I can get anywhere from 3 to 35 inch long bolts

take 15 each of each size (1.25 & 1.5) of the 35" long bolts and a box of nuts and washers for each. set them in a dark corner of your garage and use as needed
>>
Scrap prices are in the shitter so if they go to scrapper and you want more, visit scrapper afterwards and get 'em for pennies per pound.

I'd get the long ones since you can shorten them using a cutoff wheel.
>>
>>1114582
they are getting a certificate of destruction
everything in that building is getting shredded
>>
Nice Kito.

Those bolts are worth a dolla apiece easy. Pack Rat that shit and sell on Craigs, profit.
>>
>>1114615
try 50$ for a 1 1/2" 15" long bolt and 10$ for the nut
>>
>>1114617
Where do you use a 1.5" bolt on a wood barn? The ones in the picture are no where near that size.
>>
File: how about a cup of rage small.png (19KB, 300x309px) Image search: [Google]
how about a cup of rage small.png
19KB, 300x309px
>>1114610

Why the fucking fuck? Literally WHO GIVES A SHIT if it's destroyed? They're FASTENERS, not sensitive corporate data.

Got damn I hate bureaucracy with a passion.
>>
>>1114800
no the bolts are stored in the barn the bolts are for something that does not exist anymore
>>
>>1114807
>Got damn I hate bureaucracy with a passion.

then i'm about to trigger the fuck out of you.

>be in the military
>engineer corps
>engineering units would do periodic training where they'd go out and build a bunch of shit and then tear it down.
>I was in charge of procuring and managing the materials for this training
>the amount of scrap timber i processed bordered the million board foot mark
>we weren't allowed to recycle it, sell it, or donate it.
>we had to burn it
>come to find out, some shady motherfuckers in the 80's were getting kickbacks from contractors to be the sole recipient of all this scrap
>gubmints response was to dictate a burn policy so no potential of ill gotten gain exists.

it was about 2 million dollars over 3 years.
>>
>>1114807
>>1114905

An employee at a company near me told me he alone in his one department wasted $5000 a month minimum.

I was proud he told me about how he was going to approach his superiors with a plan to salvage it.

We all get sick of hearing "starving kids in Africa could eat that" crap but honesty I you can make that much difference in someone's life with stuff you'd throw away and it means nothing anyways there's not much harm in it I guess
>>
Whats the problem here?
You guys know thats all for tax purposes right? Its not really waste.
>>
>>1114905

What the flippity fucking foo

Why not just hold an open auction tot he public?

Someone was probably paid a 100k+ salary to come up with that "burn policy"
>>
>>1114920
Someone in corporate probably has a nephew that runs a surplus business.

I've seen new aircraft parts (you can guess what they cost) cycled through a manufacturer as 'scrap' and slipped to a relatives maintenance business.
>>
>>1114905
Wait, $666k a year and that's triggering? Hahaha, you have no idea.

>Be USAF EOD officer
>Base received new shipment of PC's to replace the decade old Dell's.
>1TB HDD's on them. 260 of them. Enterprise grade HDD's that conform to DoD 5220.22-M
$66,000 each, $17,160,000 total
>HDD's get installed at base's intel squadron
>HDD's get used for three months
>USAF goes with new contractor for HDD's
>Replaces 3 month old HDD's with new ones
$44,000 each
>"Old" HDD's stripped out, shipped under guard to base bombing range and EOD blast pit
>Ordered to destroy HDD's with explosives, ask "Why?"
Because, Lieutenant Anon, they were assigned to the intel squadron and as such can't be wiped and sold as surplus.
>Use 140kg of octol, two boxes of blasting caps, and 1200 feet of detcord to demolish millions of dollars worth of HDDs
>>
File: need.png (17KB, 1050x300px)
need.png
17KB, 1050x300px
>>1114204
How much you want to send me a few? Need some like pic related. If you can accommodate, provide a email.
>>
>>1115326
ill see on monday
>>
>>1115318
>DoD wasteful spending

I got paid to clean and maintain a maintenance hangar for a year even though there wasn't any planes on base because the runway was getting replaced.

>scrub floors twice a week
>learn how to log out tools
This is pointless everything and everyone is at the air national guard base an hour away.
>FOD check/walk!
Does bird shit count that's the only thing happening around here.

Not only that but all the "civilian" aircraft mechanics were there with me just twiddling their thumbs as well.

I was on 1 of 3 shifts so take that waste times 3

The only cool part of the job was being bussed to national guard base with airmen. And sending reports to Boeing telling them their latest revision of the 135 landing gear suck
>these planes are 40 years old why haven't you figured this out yet?
>>
>>1115326
you already check mcmastercarr?
>>
>>1115352
he does not want to pay 50$ per bolt and 10$ per nut
>>
>>1115326

That's a substantial bolt...at that point, why not just use threaded rod?

And what the fuck are you doing that requires both a bolt that huge _and_ of a high grade?
>>
>>1115372
probably to bolt 6x6s or 8x8s together
>>
>>1114610
>certificate of destruction

This has to involve a government contract. And the feds will spend $50K having an auditor track $2K worth of scrap to make sure none gets recycled.
>>
>>1115463
Envy and paranoia are wonderful things.
>>
>>1114204
>>1114617
What makes those bolts so expensive?
>>
>>1115485
any piece of steel 1"+ diam isn't that cheap
then toughening/hardening grade 5 / 8 or whatever adds to the price
>>
>>1114204
Sell them on ebay buy better tools to build shit.
>>
>>1114204
I work at a bolt shop, if they are paying that much for those bolts and nuts they have a rubbish supplier
>>
>>1115366
probably shouldn't have made such a stupid design then.
if you're thinking about fasteners AFTER your design you've already failed.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.