[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I install a lamp here? I tried following a guide I found

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: IMG-20170112-WA0002.jpg (148KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170112-WA0002.jpg
148KB, 1200x1600px
How do I install a lamp here?

I tried following a guide I found on google but the result was that the light worked but I couldn't turn it off and another light didn't turn on anymore.
>>
File: 20170112_175526.jpg (348KB, 998x1399px) Image search: [Google]
20170112_175526.jpg
348KB, 998x1399px
These are the switches that control the lights in the room.
>>
>>1113566
Jesus, that's nasty.
You used the wires going to another light to power that one. You're going to need a tester, and find out which wires lose power when you flip the associated switch. Otherwise, you'll need to run a new wire to the switch, then back to the box. This is unlikely, as that is definitely a light box, but those are typically not used as a junction box like that. Pretty ghetto.
>>
File: 20170112_175809.jpg (2MB, 4128x1854px) Image search: [Google]
20170112_175809.jpg
2MB, 4128x1854px
These are the lights. The third one is is behind a wall not visible here.
>>1113568
The upper switch controls the light on the left and I thought would also control the to be light on the right.
The lower switch controls the 3rd light.
My attempt of installing a light left the top switch working as usual, only controlling the left light, the new light not able to switch off and the third light not working at all.
So yea, I've got no clue how any of this stuff works.
Any help to make this work is appreciated as I don't really want to spend money to hire a professional for a fucking light installation.
>>
>>1113566
you want to take a line from that junction box to another switch+lamp, or just wire a new lamp to the existing switches?

!. Put things back first the way they were originally, if possible.
2. Purple is usually switched live - youve got three switches there, 2 purples - one is already connected to something, presumabaly a light, cant see what the other one is doing - you could disconnect to test (see what doesnt work then, etc)
3. If your lamp has two wire cores? (blue + black or brown) - connect blue to that blue bundle, black/brown to one of the purples, see if that works on one of the switches. If three cores (+yellow/green = earth) -- just add that to the yellow bundle.
4. if you just ned a live line for a new switch, then wire that to lamp, yellow-to-yellow, blut-to-blue, and connect the live to the black bundle - not purple, as your adding a new switch, this should have permanent power.

Theres no way of telling, if your switches are indeed wired to this junction - but, if they are, the (switched) lives are probably the purple.
>>
File: 20170112_183429.jpg (676KB, 1574x1821px) Image search: [Google]
20170112_183429.jpg
676KB, 1574x1821px
>>1113573
>wire a new lamp to the existing switches
I think that's what I'm trying to do.
1. I did that, everything is working as before
2. the 2nd purple isn't connected to anything. I found another black that's also not connected to anything and separate black fell on my face while digging around in there not being connected to anything on either end
See picture for 3.
Can I detach the wires going into the luster terminal (I think it's called?) and stick then into the bundles?
(Things used to be much easier when I could ask my dad to do this stuff)
>>
>>1113579
right - what Im saying is, see if you took that purple thats doing nothing, and connected it to one of your lamp cores [switched live], and the other to the blue bundle [neutral] - youd probably find, youd have a working, switched lamp.

But thats only the theory, in practice, you shouldnt be wiring shit to that junction box - unless, the lamp was supposed to be directly next to it, wall mounted, or something. Anyway, try that, (the spare purple and blue bundle), you can connect and diosconnetc anything from and to anything, just, not aƶlways sensible - need to go, but i'll check later, see if you got any further, or someone else can help.
>>
>>1113566
Disconnect all those green and yellow ones. They're just in the way. Then run a switch from black and blue and attach the other ends to your face and die you stupid piece of shit
>>
>>1113598
Now that's just rude.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.