[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Restoring an old 1972 Yamaha cs5 200 electric and it won't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: P_20170102_142251.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170102_142251.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Restoring an old 1972 Yamaha cs5 200 electric and it won't spark what should I do?
>>
check coils
>>
>>1113326
>what should I do?
a) ask someone other than 4chan
b) clean the brushes or whatever in the magneto
>>
>>1113326
check with a known good plug first
If it's been sitting for a while the points are likely corroded.
Take the cover off for access and use super-fine grit emery paper to clean contact area.
If they're just dirty the edge of a crisp clean dollar will work quite well.
If they're pitted you can file them but it's best to get a new set.

If the points are clean and have the proper gap, look next to the coil(s)
>>
>>1113326
Posting the bikes wiring diagram would be a good start.
>>
i forget where i was reading this but for some reason (other than insulation, i think it had something to do with the air pressure?) sometimes when you test for spark outside of the engine, its ok, but when you put it in, the spark doesnt work
>>
>>1113326
Usually it's the points, the plugs or the coil, sometimes it's the plug cap or the HT lead, work your way through these first before you start looking elsewhere, in 30+ years of bike ownership and being my own mechanic it's always been one of the first five mentioned.

I'm assuming you have a decent battery in there to begin with.
>>
>>1113326
Visit vintage Japanese motorcycle forums. There is plenty of Yam info. That engine is a good one which later morphed into the RD series so getting parts shouldn't be difficult.

http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/manuals.html should get you something close.

http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=cc1bok31dtab08au8joib68ek0&board=26.0

Get into the classic Jap scene. It's fun.

You'll need a simple flywheel puller. Example below, there are a variety.

http://yambits.co.uk/rd200-flywheel-puller-cross-type-p-24073.html

More info:

https://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/17307-75-rd200/

Get familiar with the many vintage Yam resources on the net. If anything happens to the engine an RD 350 "should" bolt in but I've not worked on one since the 1980s.
>>
ZENER DIODE
>>
>>1114643
>ZENER DIODE

wut?
>>
>>1113326
I had a 1968 Suzuki 250cc 2-stroke that looked quite a bit like that Yahama. Reedless design. Wheelbase like a Honda 90. Thing was SCARY FAST (like 0-60 in 2 seconds) when it was running correctly. Real finicky, though, if anything was out of balance, it would burn a hole through one of the pistons.

Bikes that old are stupidly simple. You have a magneto driven directly from the crankshaft to recharge the battery, and a points-and-condenser ignition system with centrifugal spark advance mechanism. Pull the plugs, clamp them to Ground somehow, and crank the engine; you SURE you have no spark? Or is the spark just not timed correctly? If there's no spark on EITHER plug then pull the points and check them, file them if you have to, or better yet replace them and the condensers with new parts, not expensive at all. New spark plugs if you haven't already replaced them. You can spark the coils directly with 12V to see if they're working. Finally check continuity through the system (such as it is). Set the points to the correct gap and try it again. If there still isn't any spark then go back and check everything again; there really isn't anything else in the whole ignition system.

If you have spark but no combustion then check compression with a compression gauge, be sure the carbs aren't fucked up, and the exhaust isn't clogged. These engines are so simple in design yet so high performance for what they are that anything being too far off will keep them from running, including something like exhaust backpressure being wrong for the carburetor settings.
>>
>>1113326
Take the plug off of the spark plug, hold it in your hand and give the crank a small kick.
If you DONT get a shock then the problem lies with either your
A. Coils
B. Magneto
C. Wiring
Get yourself a multimeter and start individually testing the parts until you find the fault.
If you DO get a shock then test the sparkplug again and replace it if you have to.
>>
>>1114643
Zeners as used on oldbikes are voltage regulators. Not required to start, and IIRC without looking at a schematic not used on RD series.
>>
>>1114755
>1968 Suzuki 250cc 2-stroke

S-32? One was my firstbike. Crankcase seals died but I learned a lot.
>>
>>1115151
I'd ground the plug to the engine and observe for spark. With both plugs removed it's easy to do.

OP should read up on the vintage resources in my previous post so he has a more explicit idea what to do. Points and condensers are cheap, and points are often ignored due to access issues.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.