[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought a fairly high-powered drill, a Milwaukee M18 Fuel.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: downloadfile.jpg (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile.jpg
7KB, 300x300px
I just bought a fairly high-powered drill, a Milwaukee M18 Fuel. Now for a few hours today I was drilling into fixed metal sheets with no problem, but when I started drilling through a loose sheet and into the fixed ones (each sheet maybe 1/16" thickness) the drill stopped turning the bit AFTER successfully drilling the hole.

The bit was barely pinched, sure, but it was nothing my old M18 Compact Drill couldn't have done. I had the drill set to 'drill' mode, not screw (so the variable torque setting wouldn't have affected it) and was drilling on speed 1 (it's a two-speed, 1 is slow and 2 is fast.)

Any ideas why? What was I doing wrong, I don't understand why the drill wouldn't just put the full torque into the bit to get it out.
>>
3 thoughts:

1) battery voltage got low and cut out (by design)

2) the motor got hot and the control circuit cut out (by design)

3) summin done got fucked

Is it working since? Try charging it?
>>
File: 1484188819731s.jpg (19KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1484188819731s.jpg
19KB, 250x250px
TWIST HARDER!
>>
>>1113257
On the final moment that the drill punches the hole the bit can cut threads into the last of the steel that still hasn't been chipped out. When this happens with a powerful corded drill it will try to twist your arm off or smack you in the ribs. The bit stops but the drill keeps going. The brains in the milwaukee probably detected a spike in resistance and cut off as a safety feature. Try this; once you've made it through to the other side, but not finished the hole, pull the drill out a little, really get it spinning fast and then jam it through with some force. It should blow out the last remaining metal without binding.
>>
>>1113300
>>1113330
Battery was good, hole was fully drilled. The safety in the new drills might just be so over-the-top that they won't power through things like that.

But it's funny what you say on that topic, because drilling through a couple thin sheets with an M18 Fuel was nothing, but even so I hardly ever felt anything but the lightest feather of kickback from the drill. So maybe that's the 'culprit', just some overzealous anti-kickback tech.
>>
>>1113257
When I drill plate steel. As I'm about to go through the last final bit I slow the drill down. Usually you can feel when you're about to go through.
>>
File: zfzx2.jpg (14KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
zfzx2.jpg
14KB, 600x600px
Do you have rounded drill bits? If so, the bit is slipping in the chuck and you need a 3 sided bit.
>>
>>1113438
Another thing, your clutch might be set to screw not drill
>>
File: aviary-image-1484214169061.jpg (369KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
aviary-image-1484214169061.jpg
369KB, 1440x2560px
>>1113438
>>
File: aviary-image-1484214427414.jpg (403KB, 2183x1100px) Image search: [Google]
aviary-image-1484214427414.jpg
403KB, 2183x1100px
>>1113439
>>
>>1113439
Set to drill, bit wasn't slipping (I'm not that green, but that would have been nice/easy if it were the case). Although some people are saying that setting it to screw might have helped with getting it out?

>>1113346
I'll try that tomorrow, thanks. If you don't slow down, it sticks in the hole after it's fully drilled?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.