[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My parents have a leaky copper pipe vampire compression fitting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: GgtoS.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
GgtoS.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
My parents have a leaky copper pipe vampire compression fitting that goes to their fridge, and humidifier.

I am being tasked with replacing it for a proper fitting. What supplies do I need?

I have a pipe cutter, a propane torch, sand paper, 3.2mm solder wire, and flux.

What else do I need?
cleaning brush
acid etch (or does the flux do the same thing)
pipe fitting
pipe adapter

Will a blue can propane burner work, or does it need to be yellow can stuff?
>>
>>1112671
Blue propane will work.

Cut the old fitting out and sweat a tee in its place. Add a ball valve and what ever fitting you need to go to the humidifier, etc.
>>
>>1112671

Depends on what you call "a proper fitting."

I generally use compression fittings rather than solder. Properly done they are just as good.

You need a reamer or just a decent pocket knife to take off the inner leftovers from using a cutter. Other than that you are there.

If it's anywhere close to something flammable (like wood, insulation, etc) get something to shield that.

Brush up on youtube for how to flow the joint. Lots of good examples there.

Oh.. and turn off the water before cutting the pipe. :) I know that seems stupid to say but I watched someone cut a pipe without turning off the water main.
>>
>>1112671
I've never heard of a vampire compression fitting in my life. If that is pic related, that is janky as fuck. So you drill a hole in the main, clamp that over the hole and it feeds that take-off? Fuck that.

If I envisioned correctly your scenario, here's what I'd need to do that job

Map gas torch
95/5 solder
flux (with acid brush)
sandcloth (sandpaper)
cutter/portaband
fitting brush (for ID of tee and 90)
sweat tee (the size of the main, with reducing bull, or add a reducing fitting)
possibly sweat 90?

I'd need to see a picture to go beyond that.
>>
File: KU8bh.png (471KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
KU8bh.png
471KB, 640x480px
My parents essentially have pic related.

The tee's I've seen at Home Depot might be too short to cover the piece of pipe I have to cut off that's been damaged by the clamp

Can this part work if I cut off the clamped part of the pipe?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Push-to-Connect-x-1-2-in-Push-to-Connect-x-1-4-in-Compression-Service-Stop-Tee-24983A/206356284?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D26P-Plumbing%7c&gclid=Cj0KEQiAqdLDBRDD-b2sv6-i6MsBEiQAkT3wAnJcV_UvKoAZym4pgODX8cDEcKSoeoC5yEuFKgdp7V4aAhLJ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
>>
>>1112761
go for it
>>
>>1112761
That's the easiest way
>>
>>1112841
>>1112867
So how does that stop tee work?
Does it use compression fitting over the existing pipe?
that doenst look like it requires any soldering. just cutting the pipe, cleaning up the edge, and tightening that down?
>>
>>1112991
ok, so I watched this video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCO_AI_j8M

This doesnt require any tools? just push to lock? wow
impressive.

apparently there is a special copper one that home depot doesnt have on their website.

I just hope that the amount of pipe that needs to be cut off isnt too long to use that stop tee.
>>
>>1112996
the item description for what I linked here >>1112761 says that its good for all sorts of pipe types. But the youtube video shows a different product for each type of pipe.

called home depot, and of course no one there knows jack shit.

called a local plumbing store, and they never heard of such a product.
>>
>>1112997
alright, final post. Called Sharkbite. the different color ends are only for the australian product line, the stuff home depot sells works on copper, pex, and others
>>
>>1112698
They are. The really only use is refrigerator ice makers and furnace humidifiers
>>
>>1113035

They are used for cutting into service mains for water and gas quite often, they have a place where the original service cannot be shut off.
>>
>>1113043
I didn't know they used them for gas.
>>
>>1112698

You don't drill a hole.
The lead bit of the valve has a pointy end that makes the penetration.

It's a really easy way to add a tap to an existing copper line without any cutting/solder/etc. But they have a lifetime. Usually the rubber seal hardens and leaks.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.