[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was searching around for a tutorial on how to make your own

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

I was searching around for a tutorial on how to make your own paint far my motorcycle and couldn't find anything.
Is making paint for metals a state secret?
I'm interested in the process of making the paint itself IE substances how to mix..
>>
>>1112212
taking built not bought a little far don't you think?

but if you mean Paint, Reducer, and Hardener, ect. just google body shop supply in your town
>>
Pigment and the chemical levels are company secrets generally.
>>
>>1112218
maybe but still at this point leaving the project alone im weirded out with the secrecy
>>
>>1112221
acrylic polymer emulsion is what they say is the base the coloring levels don't interest me the problem i have they don't even say what the colors are made of ?
>>
>>1112212
Check the msds on the kind of paint you want and MOST of the chemicals will show up. Sometimes it will omit certain chemicals or list them as "company name" substance. Usually though, most important ingredients will show up.
>>
>>1112224
The colors are called pigments I think. Unless it's just white, which is titanium dioxide or something like that.
>>
>>1112227
>unless
Not unless. When used for this purpose, TiO2 is known as "Pigment White 6."
>>
>>1112224
ok
I know a little her, I'm a painter (fine art oil, not cars or houses) but the pigments are the same (sort of).

you have artificial and natural pigments, eg Cobalt Blue is is a natural pigment and exactly what it says it is, cobalt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt

where Prussian blue is artificial, made with potassium ferricyanide and something else (an acid) I think. I don't feel like reading the article to find out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_blue

also some colour has UV brighteners to make the colour pop more.

Metalic fleck is tiny metal chips in the paint
>>
>>1112260
also you can buy powder and liquid pigment but unless you want to paint a few hundred bikes, it is probably cost prohibitive
>>
>>1112212
Dunno about a secret, but its generally heavily copywritten and hidden from most.
When I was making paint at university we'd use pigments and acrylic emulsion for basic acrylics and various gum-emulsifiers for oils, stuff like enamels I don't know too much about but they use a alkyd resin as the basic binder and often a few other thinning additives to assist with drying.

With pigments, metal flake usually comes in a variety of powdered brasses, aluminium and sometimes copper, but you can get gold and silver if you're feeling spectacularly rich. Ground up Mica still gets used quite a bit as well for that candy colour and high reflective qualities, most of the organic pigments tend to be fine for indoor use and general painting, but a lot of them are not UV resistant. Artificial pigments can be a bit of both, some are UV resistant and others aren't.
Have a look around artists supply stores for them, if you pop in to one ask them and they 'should' be able to give you a few pointers if they're worth their money.
>>
Paint is complicated to make. But the basic recipe is linseed oil and a pigment. Here's what I would do:

Buy oil paint pigments, then mix with boiled linseed oil until you get desired color.

Brush on in thin coats. It will take a while to dry.
If you use thick coats, a plastic scum like layer will form on the top and the bottom will never dry.

Once dry, sand any visible brush strokes with fine sandpaper before putting on another coat.
Once you've built up the desired amount of coats you can polish using fine sandpaper and an automotive polish.

Before sandpaper, the powdery surface of flaking weathered limestone was harvested, crushed with a mortar and pestle, and used to polish.

You can speed up the drying time by mixing white or mineral spirits with the paint just before painting.

Linseed oil is glossy by itself when polished. But as a final coat you can probably varnish with shellac.
It's basically a specific tree resin dissolved in alcohol. Lots of recipes online.
I can't help with making pigment.
>>
>>1112370
>shellac.
>It's basically a specific tree resin dissolved in alcohol
It's actually the secretion of the female lac bug.
Japanware lacquer is the resin of a tree in asia.
The fresh resin is full of the same stuff that makes poison ivy a bitch.

Modern shellac and lacquer are now just products of the chemical industry.
>>
OP can't make anything that won't look like ass and promptly deteriorate in motorcycle use.

If want special color, flakes etc just study and buy a combination made to work together. You can get any finish you want.

Then play with mixes and shit on something else until you tire of the experiment.

Making paints for furniture etc would actually be an intelligent experiment and many formulae are found in old books. Check the Internet Archive and google.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.