[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help! My fucking oven broke and I think this is the culprit.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170108_155122.jpg (378KB, 1600x912px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170108_155122.jpg
378KB, 1600x912px
Help! My fucking oven broke and I think this is the culprit. Can I fix it?
>>
>>1111608
no, that is broke, can't be fixed

time for new oven
>>
>>1111608
Hard to tell from pic but looks like it's the electric heating element. Won't be able to fix but you can replace it. Check appliance parts pros.com or repair clinic.com. you will need the model number
>>
File: its fucked.jpg (23KB, 350x328px) Image search: [Google]
its fucked.jpg
23KB, 350x328px
>>1111608
>Can I fix it?

You can replace it. ~$35
Turn off breaker. One side is hot even when oven is off at control switch.
>>
Yup that's dead... if you really need the oven right fucking now and it's got a broil burner on the top of the oven with the same pattern of contacts (i.e. Will go into the same hole in the oven cavity wall) then you could swap that down to get you by... it'll be a different wattage likely... so the oven might act a bit goofy but should still run off the same voltage... and the temperature control will still monitor the cavity temperature and not the specific element temp.. do cover the broil leads so they don't incidentally arc out on you...
>>
>>1111650

Not OP, but that's a ton of mishaps waiting to happen if he really needs to bake a potato.

Just do what another Anon said and replace the element. Youtube is your best friend and you'll wonder why anyone calls a repairman.
>>
you can always get a small appliance oven for around $50 if you cant afford to replace
>>
File: 1482570820789.jpg (113KB, 1010x672px) Image search: [Google]
1482570820789.jpg
113KB, 1010x672px
>>1111621
>Turn off breaker.
why.
do you turn off the breaker to change a light bulb, too?
>>
>>1113122

I would always be OTT when it comes to isolating an oven.

Lighting circuts give you a shock. An oven will kill you
>>
>>1113122
>why.
>do you turn off the breaker to change a light bulb, too?

Because the oven us connected to 240vac (two 'hot' wires)
On some units when the the oven is off the control switch only disconnects one of the 'hot' wires.
One of the terminals on the element is connected to the mains all the time.
The oven box/lining is connected to Neutral/Gnd/earth.

On other units, the selector disconnects one side of the element and the thermostat disconnects the other side.

So as to not have to look up which way the one I'm working on is wired I just flip the 50A breaker and do my job without worry.

You are welcome to proceed in any manner you see fit.
>>
>>1113136
>On some units when the the oven is off the control switch only disconnects one of the 'hot' wires.
til.
in retrospect this makes sense. guess i've just been lucky turning off the knob and replacing elements.
>>
>>1113136
>On some units when the the oven is off the control switch only disconnects one of the 'hot' wires.
This strikes me as being insanely unsafe. Basically the heating element is always "hot and deadly."

>On other units, the selector disconnects one side of the element and the thermostat disconnects the other side.
This seems only slightly safer.

I wonder, do digital ovens have the same design, or do they have a relay contact per phase.
>>
>>1111621
I literally just did this a month ago. Same problem. RepairClinic is great for parts... sometimes pricey but absolutely headache-free.
>>1113122
The question "why" should NEVER be in a conversation of "Turn the breaker off". Turn the bloody thing off. For fucks sake, turn the thing off. It literally takes mere seconds to safeguard yourself from actual death.
>>
>>1113144
>>1113122
If you can't unplug the stove, you turn the breaker off.

>do you turn off the breaker to change a light bulb, too?

Yes, because some person may come along and turn it on while you are working and you need to develop proper habits while working with electricity. For instance, say you have the light on and need to replace the bulb. Putting a new bulb in while the socket is electrified may cause some serious arcing as the two plates are screwed together and seated. This arcing can ruin the socket; especially if it is repeated often. When it does go bad from this type of thing it will start to make popping and crackling sounds like frying bacon and the light will dim and/or flicker. While very rare, it can shoot out sparks of hot metal, which could catch things on fire.

Even if you survive an electric shock that doesn't knock you out or kill you, it can affect your body in some profound ways. Hours later you can become sick and need to go to the hospital.
>>
>>1111608

>all this fear of an oven

Why doesn't everyone get a gas oven. Significantly less chance of electrocuting yourself doing basic repairs. Not that the concern isn't justified, but Jesus Christ we have an alternative.
>>
>>1113273
Woman wanted to kill her husband.
Caused him to fall from their private plane.
As he is falling he sees a woman coming up.
While they are passing in the air they shout -
He, "How did you get up here?"
She, "Gas oven!"
>>
>>1113302

What brand of Slavic is your primary language?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.