[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dad's house has like 30 year old wood framed windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: window_sill_10735066.jpg (250KB, 755x500px) Image search: [Google]
window_sill_10735066.jpg
250KB, 755x500px
My dad's house has like 30 year old wood framed windows all over his house. He isn't going to get new windows ever.... Is there anything that can be done to stop these from leaking cold air into the house?
>>
>>1111189
Temporarily taping is what I was just about to do to my door when I saw this post.
Felt strips all around. Newer windows use rubber. My doors leak like a mofo, I'm going to make a seal with some of the tape AC guys use on the lines to insulate them all around my door jamb.
>>
caulk or foam?
>>
>>1111195
this. do both.

caulk, foam, paint, putty, and shitloads of sanding (unless you are okay with it looking like shit)
>>
>>1111189
Put storm windows on the outside.

Caulk the windows.

I have an arts and craft bungalow with stained glass in every window. There is no chance in hell i am relplacing them.

My solution , as i dont open these windows, is a sheet of 3/8 lexane framed in on the outside if the window, and a high quality caulk.

In effect making them a double pained window . That also wont shatter if something is thrown at it.
>>
File: sealing_plastic.jpg (16KB, 285x225px) Image search: [Google]
sealing_plastic.jpg
16KB, 285x225px
>>
>>1111208
I do this every year for most of the windows in my house. It helps but not as well as i would hope.
>>
>>1111250
it will help with the drafts through the window, but poor insulation in the window construction, around it in the wall, and in the rest of the building will make much more of a problem
>>
>>1111208

Never heard of that for weatherproofing old windows, but it looks pretty convenient for painting walls and trim with a sprayer, I'll have to remember that
>>
>>1111529
It is no easier to install than paper and painters tape. It also requires you have a heat gun and electricity available.
>>
Rope caulk
>>
>>1111189
>Felt strips all around.

If OP's pic is the actual window, they appear to be relatively modern (double pane glazing). They probably already have some weatherstripping which has just worn out and needs to be replaced. If they are older, it might still be possible to fit weatherstripping to them.

If the draft is coming in around the side of the window frame, you might need to pop off the trim and inject foam between the wall frame and window.
>>
>>1111262
Its a larger old house. No insulation, just plaster and lathe, studs, exterior boards and stucco. I will never be able to afford everything i need to do here.
>>
>>1111189
>>
>>1111208
what if your condo has 12ft tall window casings?
>>
>>1111675
single or double glazed?

Post a real pic. The one in OP looks like quality modern construction, not at all what you're now describing.
>>
>>1111892
we do, still works, still a a pain. And after about three months, the double-sided tape doesn't come off anymore without pulling the paint with it.
>>
File: 10530_03082009.jpg (44KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
10530_03082009.jpg
44KB, 370x370px
>>
>>1111903
Im not OP. all my windows are late 1920s wood frame single glaze.
>>
>>1111675
Then be a grownup and admit failure and sell, move to something you can handle.
>>
File: 0687239_L.jpg (13KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
0687239_L.jpg
13KB, 500x500px
>>1111189
zip them
>>
>>1112029
The house has been in the family since it was built. Currently renting it from mom and doing repairs. Next year i plan on changing the furnace for something more efficient. Before that i need to get a quote on repairing sinking foundation from a mid-50s addition.
>>
>>1111892
look for a bigger kit or tape two together
>>
>>1111208
I use this even for my double pane windows and it is awesome.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/17510819

>>1111189
Foam big gaps, caulk cracks. I use ultra clear caulking and a rubber glove to smooth it out. I spent $200 weatherizing my windows and it made my place super warm. Adding the shrink film stuff over the window makes it do even better.
>>
File: 765818.jpg (138KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
765818.jpg
138KB, 800x536px
>>1112095
I forgot to add that I also use insulated window blankets at night.
>>
>>1111905
It just feels like there's no good solution.

On top of mine being so tall, they're also single pane. The fuckin heat just goes right out. I am desperate to get this figured out.
>>
>>1111189
I have 86 year old wooden windows and I just put tape around the edges. Make sure to use something that peels off easily in the spring and doesn't leave residue (i.e. not duct tape). The paint here can handle strapping tape except where it's already cracked. Once you tape up most of it, the remaining drafts get concentrated and are easier to feel. Heavy curtains help a little, too.

Tape is dirt cheap if you only care about closing off drafts. More insulation may or may not be worth it depending on your weather, heating bills, and thermostat use, and whether you care about how plastic sheets affect the view.
>>
>>1111675
i have a house like that. i just turn the heat up. sometimes I have ice on the inside pains. plaster and lathe is actually really think in most places. I have so many windows i couldn't even plastic them all.
>>
>>1111206
Do they fog?
>>
>>1111189
Buy some indoor sealent, and seal any gaps, cracks, or spaces in the wood, or where it attaches to the wall.

In some cases you might want to remove the internal trim, and see whats behind it. Might just be vast open space, fill that with insulation, or Great Stuff.

As for the windows themselfs, if they leak not much you can do without some woodworking.

Plastic window film works great, but looks ugly.

Dont forget to seal on the outiside as well.
post pics of the windows so we can better understand what you're working with
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.