[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you paint furniture? dust settles on top of my paint

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_n68nd2iEoh1r9jzs2o1_1280.jpg (221KB, 955x1440px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n68nd2iEoh1r9jzs2o1_1280.jpg
221KB, 955x1440px
how do you paint furniture?

dust settles on top of my paint and it looks like ass.
>>
>>1110333
Sand and go again.
>>
>>1110336
just take the top coat off?
Also, I am using water based emulsion paint. Will this be waterproof? Will I be able to decoratively paint onto this surface using other water based paints?
>>
>>1110341
>water based
>waterproof
>no

not unless you seal it afterwards.
im not an expert but I'm sure you will have to seal it
to protect it.

where are you painting, why so dusty?
find a clean environment and try to make a tent or something.
maybe spray cans would give you a quick drying base coat before the dust can settle.
also its a much strong paint if you use acrylic sprays.

im not an expert but I hope that helps you a bit.
>>
>>1110364
thanks. I think I am going to sand the emulsion paint surface slightly. Then do a coat of acrylic with a brush. I have painted pictures with acrylic and a brush but not just flat surfaces. Whats the trick?
>>
>>1110333
enclosed area dedicated for finishing
filtered air inlet to area
air removed from area by exhaust fan
no sanding in this area
>>
>>1110333
Wipe down the piece with denatured alcohol to remove static.

Build a small paint booth. One of those metal filing cabinets that are as tall as you make great paint booths. And you can build a shelf with some plastic flap to store other paint supplies too.
>>
>>1110368
all paint should find it level eventually.
dont re-brush any areas you have been over when drying even if you spot some dust etc. its better to sand it when dry.
dont have too much paint on your brush as drips are a nightmare when painting spindles and details on a chair for example.
if you are painting an edge remember that the paint will form a lip on the other side so brush that straight away.
give a light sand after every coat.

shouldn't be too difficult just pay attention to the paint as you work. you'll be good at it by the end of the day :)
>>
>>1110373
>Wipe down the piece with denatured alcohol to remove static.

good advice too

>give a light sand after every coat.

with very fine sandpaper
60 grit will ruin your life.
>>
File: drips.jpg (59KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
drips.jpg
59KB, 620x413px
thankyou for your help. /diy/ has to be the best board round here.

What would be the best way of creating this effect?
>>
File: DIY-Spray-Paint-Booth.jpg (34KB, 397x600px) Image search: [Google]
DIY-Spray-Paint-Booth.jpg
34KB, 397x600px
http://makelyhome.com/50-diy-collapsible-spray-paint-tent/
>>
>>1110386
>lay object so surface to be painted is flat and facing directly upwards
>apply too much paint
>wait for paint to get tacky
>turn object upside down
>wait for paint to sag into drips
>quickly blast it with a can of compressed air
>gas from can cools down the paint very quickly and when it evaporates the outer surface will be dry
>allow 5 months for the solvents trapped underneath the crust to evaporate.
>>
>>1110458
what about using something like tile adhesive or PVA glue?
>>
>>1110458
>>allow 5 months for the solvents trapped underneath the crust to evaporate.

I've got tacky cabinet doors from when the previous owner slopped on paint so thick it never cured 15 fucking years ago. The only way to fix my shit is to use a heat gun and peel it all off and start again.

How the fuck can somebody fuck up that bad? I don't know. Most painters I know are stoned out of their gourd all the time and they don't even fuck up this bad.
>>
>>1110486
>Most painters I know are stoned out of their gourd all the time

f u m e s

Kilz is very good for this.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.