[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have no tools at all, except for a hammer and measuring tape.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: desk.png (12KB, 882x556px) Image search: [Google]
desk.png
12KB, 882x556px
I have no tools at all, except for a hammer and measuring tape. How can I build a simple computer desk like pic related for 40 bucks or less? would it even hold shit or just collapse? I live right next to a Lowe's
>>
>>1109796
Easy, one inch thick plywood, nail the sides to the top, done
>>
>>1109800
okay brb gonna go look at their plywood
>>
U might need a saw of some sort, recommend a circular saw
>>
>>1109796
Its not going to happen without a bigger budget and more tools
>>
a sheet of decent plywood is already over your total budget.

you'll at least need a corded circular saw and some sacrificial plywood ( with factory edge remaining ) in order to make a rip fence.
>>
>>1109800
Im back, I looked at Lowe's plywood and they had some good ones but I'm too r9k to ask them to cut it for me and I don't have any way to cut it at home. Also I didn't see any wood thick enough to be the supporting legs of the desk-- am i supposed to glue/nail pieces of plywood together to make thicker wood for the legs?

>>1109809
are those cheap?
>>
>>1109822
Not really, but you can buy a cheap one and it will get the job done
>>
File: 1239291346519.jpg (80KB, 571x570px) Image search: [Google]
1239291346519.jpg
80KB, 571x570px
>>1109796

>Hi. I have no skills, no tools and no money but I want to build myself a desk. what do?
>>
>>1109822
A cheap circular saw is 40$

If you are going to build a single sheet plywood table, you are going to have to have them cut it for you.
You have to have detailed cuts laid out for them or they wont do it.

You would use the plywood istelf for the legs, no you wouldnt double it up you would box it.

>>1109828
Nice reddit meme
>>
>>1109822

You can make two boxes for the feet (box has to be closed on at least the backside for rigidity).

OSB is cheaper than plywood for the same strength BTW. It just looks a little sketchier.
>>
File: FYD5R8WHE081CLH.MEDIUM[1].jpg (44KB, 620x463px) Image search: [Google]
FYD5R8WHE081CLH.MEDIUM[1].jpg
44KB, 620x463px
>>1109822
Dude, you are starting from a very bad place. No tools and no budget. It's very hard to come up with something for $40 WITH tools and fasteners on hand.

Hit up CL and see if you can find a couple filing cabinets for free or very cheap. Also see if you can get an old door for same. That's about the cheapest you're going to pull off.

That's similar to how I built my first workbench. I found and old door and some scrap 2x4s that someone was throwing out. Turned the 2x4s into a crude frame for the door to sit on. Used that crappy workbench to build a better one. But I had tools and fasteners already.
>>
>>1109835
This isn't a bad idea OP
>>
>>1109796
>How can I build a simple computer desk like pic related for 40 bucks or less?

concrete blocks for supports
prefinished board(s) for the top
>>
Op when you go into Lowe's hhead into the closet and storage section. Buy shelf brackets. 1 for every 2 feet or so.just price checked Lowe's about 4.50 a bracket. Depending on how much weight you expect to apply. Buy 3. Now go and buy the 23 inch deep by 48 inch wide melamine board in the same department for local to me 15. You are now at 29.50. the brackets may come with screws and drywall anchors or not. If they do awesome it will save you money. You didn't say if you had a screw driver. I will assume no and you will need to buy one. At my store there is one for 1 dollar and one for 4 dollars.buy one that you can use to set your drywall anchors. BAM a desk for less than 40 bucks.
>>
>>1109863
damn dude thanks for the advice, I'll head back there later on and see what I can find
>>
>>1109796
How far are you from Ikea?
>>
>>1109796
You need some tools. Go buy a drill and a kreg jig.

Nuild it out of 3/4 ply. Have lowes cut it.

Lowes also sells the kreg jig, get the 2 hole one and a clamp
>>
>>1109796
Cinder blocks and pallet boards
>>
>>1109921
Really after looking up pictures of cinder block desks I am sure you can build one for under 40 bucks
>>
>>1109796
>>1109557
>>
>>1109863
How does OP drill the holes for the drywall anchors? How does OP turn the screws with his hammer or measuring tape?
>>
Target and walmart have folding plastic tables for less than $40
>>
>>1109950
OP would be better off just using stacked cardboard boxes than wasting his time trying to put something shit like that together
>>
>>1109800
This would be fine, just put a piece of plywood on the back between the legs. Like a box with 4 wood sides, and the front and bottom open>>1109802
>>
>>1109954
Did you not read my post? He buys a screwdriver to screw in the screws. My budget allows that. To set in the drywall anchors they must be about the diameter of his screw driver. The technique is take hammer and hit screw driver through drywall. Now there is a perfect circle. Put in drywall anchor. Screw in screw to drywall anchor you just set. No drill required. It does require preplanning g though. If the drywall anchors are to small or to big it doesn't work. A drill with bits makes it way easier. On second thought buy a set of drywall anchors with screws and the drill bit to set the anchor and use it as a punch. The 10 dollars of play should allow for that.
>>
Not DIY but you can go on Craigslist and look at the free stuff in your area. You can find computer desks all the time then you can use DIY to make it better
>>
>>1109822
Lowes employe here.
Draw out the cuts you want.
Goto the panel saw.
Press the button.
Wait.
We will help you.

R9k or not we will help you. Just dont adk us for 50 cuts.
We will even help you get it off the shelf.
And load it to your car.

My advice is have the top cut to size. Then go to the area where we have table legs and buy 4 square ones and the brackets they thread into.

Lastly have use cut strechers ( stips of wood about 4-6" tall) to conect the the back legs together and for the sides.

This will make for a very rigid desk.

You will need to nail or screw the strechers to the legs about 8-12" from the bottom.
So draw everything out. Think it through

Dont ask us to cut on a Saturday durring kids clinic
>>
>>1109796
Overthinking
Buy the desk top out of whatever timber or chip board they have, then get 4 ready made table legs, wood screws and a screwdriver to put them in with
>>
With your budget your best option might be to check out a local thrift store for a decent desk. If you insist on building it yourself filing cabinets / cinder blocks and a door as top will probably work best for you.
>>
>>1109796
15 years ago I just went to a local store and got myself a 78 inch wooden board cut, that was already laminated and shit. They also had 4 wooden legs with a metal base already done so I just took them with me. After 15 years and no maintance, it still holds, doesn't wobble or is loose at all. Cost me like $20.

I don't think you can do anything wrong here, considering I had no carpentry skills as well.
>>
Go buy a fucking table.

Stop trying to build shit with material you cant afford and tools you don't have.
>>
>>1109800
The legs can be the same stuff as the top. But, as you mentioned, it can be a bit unstable.

The solution is to nail a piece of plywood on the back of the desk so that it covers both legs and the top. This will give you all the stability you need.

If you want, you can have that backing go only 3/4 way down to the floor, so you have room for your feet.
>>
>>1109796
OP you need more tools, at least a saw and some sandpaper. I suggest looking at the cutoffs bin at hd to buy materials to get very cheap wood.
>>
>>1109796
Anon just get a fucking linnmon from ikea, and 4 aldis. You can assemble it by hand but a drill makes it go faster
>>
For $40 you could buy a plastic folding table at Lowe's. That's EXACTLY what I did.
>>
>>1109800
Lmao Brilliant. Got it!
>>
File: station_old.jpg (167KB, 2048x1453px) Image search: [Google]
station_old.jpg
167KB, 2048x1453px
Seconding the door-desk idea. That's what I did and it looks great, is super sturdy, and huge.

>posting old pic
You can use sawhorses for maximum cheap
>>
File: PicsArt_01-07-03.30.12.jpg (49KB, 720x823px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_01-07-03.30.12.jpg
49KB, 720x823px
>>1109796
Buy this table from lowes
And a beer from the beer store
Done.
Plus it folds up for easy clean up
Hey I'm a diy guy not a fucking table builder.
>>
>>1110151
>>1110179
yeah this seems like better approach for me, seems easier. I'll go take a look at their legs if they have them

>>1110696
shit really? i might just do this then...
>>
In some situations DIY isn't the cheapest solution. This is one of those cases. Desks are everywhere. Hell just drive around a bit. Maybe someone is throwing one out or selling one in a garage sale.
>>
>>1109796
Look up a book called "How to make furniture without tools" by Clement Meadmore.

It is based on using plywood cut with only straight cuts - most retailers will do this for a minimal cost or for free - and the holding power of modern glues. I have used it build a sofa and a computer desk without problems.
You will need to to be able to get the hardware yshop from wh
>>
>>1111171
>This is one of those cases.
This.

If you're just a poorfag looking for a cheap computer desk, there are smarter alternatives than a plywood box table that is going to flex and warp after minimal use.

I don't know where you live, but in my city, there is a "thrift store" or some sort of Christian donation type center in nearly every part of the city that you can get nice STURDY wood furniture for under $40.

Do a google search for "thrift center" or "assistance ministries". You wouldn't believe what you find in this places... richfags donate some of the craziest stuff and the thrift centers practically give it away.

Just my two cents. Computer desks are a dime a dozen if you know where to look.
>>
>>1109835
Or find a used desk for $40
>>
>>1109796
Some bricks and a board loosely on top.
>>
File: boots 008.jpg (2MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
boots 008.jpg
2MB, 2988x5312px
my standing desk just some brackets and the boards
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.