[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the easiest or best way to smooth down a large rock surface

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

What is the easiest or best way to smooth down a large rock surface so it can be used as a table or counter top? And how to create a shiny finish?
>>
>>1108603
chisels, grinders, and sandpaper till you die. working with stone is time consuming as fuck.
>>
>>1108603
diamond saw cut it as close to flat as possible then a gigantic slow grinder with abrasive slurry then hand finish with buffer
>>
>>1108603
How many square feet are you thinking about doing?
>>
Cover it with epoxy.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1108603
Honestly if it's more than a few square feet just don't...the amount of time, dust and noise isn't worth it. If you're dead set you'll need diamond blades, cup wheels, and grinding stones to get it flat then polishing pads to get it shiny.
Source: granite fabricator
>>
>>1108603
ancient method is to pour sand on it and rub a metal plate over it.
slow as hell but will give you a very even and polished surface.
you need to get it fairly flat first with hand tools though.
>t. ancient aliens
>>
>>1108603
>>1108603
Im a sculptor, just get a small angle cutter and a polishing head, change the head till you get to the point u like, 2 3 days oc work and about 100 bucks totall
>>
>>1108633

Holy shit this.

Stone work is almost entirely done by poor artisans in developing nations or by experts for rich people.

It is time consuming and labor intensive.
>>
We're building a house for this Indian couple that are both doctors (shocking, I know) and they ordered all their tile, marble and stone sinks and countertops from India and shipped here. Some poor bastard over there had to hand carve out 5 vessel sink bowls and two pedestal sinks. Two bowls and one pedestal broke during the shipping, I'm still not entirely sure how he bored out a three inch hole all the way through a 36" X 8" column.
>>
>>1111535
still not entirely sure how he bored out a three inch hole all the way through a 36" X 8" column
> tubular hole cutter with a long shaft
>drill hole balls deep
>remove tool, break off the stone cylinder, pull it out
>repeat until through

or a reaaaally long hole cutter, if they do this shit for a living every day, they can probably afford to invest in the custom tooling
>>
>>1108635
This. My dad uses most of the bits in this pic, and the amount of time he puts in polishing is insane, and thats just for the edges he cut. The slab comes pre polished so that saves a LOT of time.
>>
>>1108603
A really strong laser would work
>>
>>1113604
Doubt it man, the crystals in granite are all over the place. You're more likely to set fire to the curtains than get a smooth surface
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.