[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any one here get into DIY projects just for the sake of it, without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 1480691842821.jpg (396KB, 1570x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1480691842821.jpg
396KB, 1570x1536px
Any one here get into DIY projects just for the sake of it, without any special interest in the end result?

I'm a programmer and I really miss doing things with my hands. Sick of just typing code and seeing numbers and text being generated. I'm thinking of going into woodwork (carving and whittling) but I have no idea where to start.
>>
File: ygciytfjlh.png (7KB, 205x166px) Image search: [Google]
ygciytfjlh.png
7KB, 205x166px
step 1 : buy woods
step 2 : buy hammer and nails
step 3 : do shit with step 1 and step 2
>>
File: ZQO6FTP.jpg (122KB, 669x511px) Image search: [Google]
ZQO6FTP.jpg
122KB, 669x511px
>>1108419
I'm a programmer too. I'm always yearning to something /diy/ after 10 hours of screentime. I do a little bit of 3D printing, gardening, and automotive maintenance. Not interested in major projects with end results - just killing some time
>>
>>1108419
I enjoy mostly the ride. The end result isn't that much fun as making it....
>>
>>1108419
>Any one here get into DIY projects just for the sake of it,

Not anymore
Too many half finished projects sitting around. Too many half assed hobbies I never fully got into.

Im actively trying to throw away or sell stuff and mentally cut "losses" on all sorts of stuff that I just will never truly be able to become proficient at.
Im not really proficient in anything because of my tendency to move onto another thing without finishing.

Now all of my projects are going to be things that build on one another, or help me in another area.
>>
Programmer also. I know exactly how you feel. I have my garage, with a few woodworking projects on the go. Also got my anvil when I feel like fixing my forge.

Tell you what is a good thing to do to get away from programming and feel like a human, gardening. Or gardening-based projects. If you haven't the space, make a window plant box, or an indoor herb garden.

As gay as it sounds, it feels very wholesome.
>>
>>1109191
How about bonsai? I've never done it before. Will I fuck it up? I have no space and would just have it in my room
>>
>>1108419

Start off simple by making a walking pole.

Anyone can strip off bark,, smooth down the knots and varnish.

Then you can elaborate by carving a simple spiral groove around it. By then you'll at least have a feel for your tools, and you'll have a (hopefully) nice walking pole you can use, or gift to an elderly relative or outdoorsy type.
>>
>>1101963
>>
>>1109598
Just in case it wasn't clear, the wood source for this project is a tree branch. Meaning it can be done with nothing more exotic than a knife or axe by way of tools.

Mora make cheap good quality knives and have models designed for whittling and carving.

Green wood is easier to work, but seasoned wood will shrink less and take finer detail. Rigidity also comes with age, keeping wood off the ground, under a tarp for a couple years yields generally good quality wood (depending on the original source) for simple carving, and will be sufficiently rigid and hard enough for use without the ends fraying.

Get a crutch or walking stick ferrule for the end if this happens and slightly taper the pole if it's to be used on concrete or tarmac to prevent fraying and splitting.
>>
>>1109567
If your room has enough natural light a bonsai tree should be fine, Chinese elm does alright inside.

However it's probably not as hand on as you want aside from the occasional trimming and watering there's not much to do
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.