[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dad quit smoking for his job last year, and with that stopped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1591.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1591.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
My dad quit smoking for his job last year, and with that stopped maintaining his humidor of cigars.

Anyone know how to save a bunch of dry cigars?

Would this even be the right board to ask?

If not, where should I ask?
>>
You smoke them

Dry cigars don't effect the taste much. It primarily means it will flake badly when being smoked, so it's a bit of a nuisance but honestly not that bad. Also unless you live in a very dry climate like Arizona or keep them in a heavily air conditioned home you shouldn't ever fun into that problem

For instance i live in SC where the humidity never drops below 60% (and rarely drops below 70%)
>>
Just rehydrate them. It'd take time.

Can tobacco leaf be oxidized?
>>
>>1107593
Btw, that's only around $70-120 worth of cigars so unless you are keeping them to smoke yourself it's not a huge loss
>>
>>1107602
Well, I do plan to smoke them. They're just bone-dry, I smoked one and kept getting wraper stuck to my lips.
>>
Not sure about cigars, but ordinary rolling tobacco can be revitalized by putting it in the fridge.
>>
There was a great story about a guy that found a trunk full of Cuba cigars in his grandfather's attic. He was able to bring them back to an enjoyable level of smokabilty in over a year. These should just take a few months. Get some fluid for the humidifier and keep an eye on them. They may be fragile for a while, so refrain from over handling.
>>
File: IMG_20161214_060822.jpg (2MB, 3558x2832px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161214_060822.jpg
2MB, 3558x2832px
Slowly douse the wood with distilled water.
>>
>>1107601
>>1107603
>>1107629
>>1107636
Sorry guys, but it will never go back to the same quality, thankfully i don't see any expensive ones in that batch, so you can reduce the flaking with some high humidity for long long periods.

The reason you keep a cigar in a high humidity environment has impact on the flavor as well. First some science:

When you burn tobacco, you are just burning standard organic matter, it is converting it's carbon into carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, when you burn pure carbon you have no leftovers, and no ash, no nothing but a room full of carbon dioxide and monoxide. However the startup energy required to burn graphite is very extreme which is why it's easier to burn low purity coal, most organic matter has volatile matter as well, like nitrates and sulfer, that burn more readily and are able to release the startup energy required to burn the carbon. Ash is made up to biproducts of volatiles burning and anything else that can't burn (like calcium carbonate or silica in the case of those shitty charcoal briquettes)

What does this have to do with tobacco? Well, what makes tobacco have such a distinct difference in smoke than charcoal? It is because tobacco contains aromatic oils (which contain the nicotine and flavor) that have a higher smoke point than the smoldering temperature of tobacco (but lower than the burning point which is why we don't smoke tobacco that's on fire)but also have a lower evaporation point than the fire, you breathe in these oils and that's what makes it smell better and taste better. However when you leave tobacco out long enough, eventually the oils will evaporate on their own, so you put them in a high humidity, controlled temp environment so it takes longer for those oils to evaporate (it also improves the consistency of the smoke)

A good way of telling if the cigars are past the point of no return is their smell. When they lose their smell they are shit and can't be recovered.
>>
>>1107829
Btw, this is also why stale cigarettes taste so bad and don't satiate nicotine dependency as well. Cigarettes are sold with the intention to be smoked quickly, not saved, that's why they don't often push humidors for cigarette normies.
>>
>>1107829
Additionally aromatic oils, tanins, and wood spirits are what cause different woods to smell so different when burning, and why smoking meat with different types of wood imparts different tastes into the meats and why you don't use high tannin woods like oak to smoke meats
>>
>>1107593
eh, you can bring back humidity to them to make them more smoke-able than not but the flavor won't be the same.

Honestly though, there isn't much there that I can identify being worth smoking in the first place. No offense to your dad.

Instantly throw out that ACID cigar, those cigars ruin other cigars. Throw out anything that says "Drew Estates" on the band.

I would probably save the Nub and Partagas, the Black Patch cigar miiight be worth smoking, they aren't bad. I could be wrong but I think that is an Arturo Fuente cigar on the left side on the bottom in the center but I'm not positive. If it is, I'd save that.

Get a small plastic sealing container and put the good cigars in there, take out that divider and soak it in purified water and put it in the plastic container but don't have it make contact with any of the cigars. The wood will dry out in a couple days hopefully transferring moisture over to your cigars, so repeat the process for about a month or two.

I've heard of people holding cut cigars over boiling water for a couple minutes and inhaling/sucking steam through the cigars once or twice to get moisture into the tobacco but I never tried it myself.

Personally, I would buy a lot more cigars and stick them in the same humidor for 2-3 months to get a little aroma and moisture transferred to the old cigars - but its kind of the lazy way of doing it.
>>
>>1107862
It's actually an old wives tale that flavored cigars ruin other cigars. Much much older flavored cigars from the 70s were flavored with stuff fruit juice extracts and shit and when you left them sitting without wrapper on your cedar shelves in your humidor the juice would leak out into the Cedar and the next one you put there wild pick up some of that juice, however drew estate uses herbs for all their flavoring, like clove and whatnot, additionally even though they do cognac dip the tip, they individually plastic wrap each one so you would never encounter the issues of the shitty flavored cigars of the past

However you'll find people that just parrot off what they hear about not putting flavored cigars in their humidor without knowing the reasons behind it. And what's worse they'll come up with all these wild fantasies about why that are all just totally bogus.

Additionally you should try some drew estate cigars, some of them are really fucking good. The only people I've known to not like them are the ones that were influenced by elitist cigar retards that think anything that's not Cuban must be shit (despite the fact most Cubans are shit and have been shit for the last 40 years)

I put them on par with Gurkah
>>
>>1107864
I don't believe all flavored cigars affect the natural tobacco flavor of other cigars.

Regarding D.E. stuff, like Undercrown and MUWAT, I pretty much see people divided on D.E. as "I like it" or "I don't like it" - and when it comes to the group of people who say "I don't like their stuff, but I do like this other brand called..." I tend to have the same opinions on flavor and stuff as them. It's not really snobbish.

How I see it is this: Something like Tatuaje Tattoo is a $7 cigar with a $7 price tag. A Camacho Triple Maduro is a $11 cigar with an $11 price tag. Julius Caeser is a $18 cigar that I'd probably spend $20 on. Undercown is a $3 cigar with a $10 price tag, I see a lot of Gurkah's stuff, other than their more pricier cigars, to be overpriced.

Personally, I love finding inexpensive cigars that I feel like are being undersold. I bought a bunch of the John Bull cigars after a sample which shot up in price after I bought them for $2 each.

I don't believe stuff straight out of Cuba is all that great. I don't think anything in my top 5 smokes is made in Cuba. I don't go out of my way to find cubans when I'm in Canada or in Europe.
>>
File: IMG_20160905_212812.jpg (66KB, 451x535px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160905_212812.jpg
66KB, 451x535px
MFW not even one Lewinsky joke
>>
>>1107864
any cigar flavoring is going to be fairly volatile and make its way into anything you leave it in a box with.
>>
>>1107593
>my dad maintained cigars
Why don't you just ask him???
>>
Throw that toxic shit out. Tobacco kills slowly and nastily. It's like having AIDS without the stigma (or pleasure) of being gay.

Medically you'd be healthier rimming hobos.
>>
>>1107829

>this man can burn pure carbon

Someone abduct him and imprison him at NASA.

Force him to divulge this technology.
>>
>>1107600
This is wrong. So wrong I can't even.

>>1107700
This, you can also use a mix of alcohol of your choice (I prefer Beam Rye) and distilled water. If not careful with distilled water it can still cause severe mold issues.

>>1107829
This is true

>>1107864
Ghurkas are good

>>1108066
FDA puts two cigars a day as being the same as not smoking at all. FDA has mild pipe smoking as living longer than not smoking. Studies based on not inhailing

>>1107593
I would suggest putting a shotglass of Whisky in there. It will add a light flavor to the cigars and can make them a little sweet, especially if they are already dry. You also need to determine whether you smoke like an Englishmen (lets call it smoking wrong) or like a Spaniard (correct). The correct way to do it is to maintain your humidity at 70%, you can tell this by feel because the cigars will have some give to them and will not crack. The wrong way is to prefer cigars to have a "rustle", a cigar will rustle but not crack at 60-65 depending on cigars. The thicker the cigar the more difficult for it to maintain proper humidity.

A cigar that is great (diesel unlimited, ghurkas, red dots, serie r, my fathers) will still be good when it dries out. In addition the lingering smell of a great cigar will not become disgusting as it dries out. A cigar that is good when humidified will get significantly worse as it dries out, the smell will linger worse.

When my sons were born my best friend bought a very limited run of cigars. We have enough to smoke two each two years until the boys turn 18, at which point we will smoke the last four. Had them for eight years and still perfect. Getting a dial to read humidity would be a good idea if you doint want to do the feel test.
>>
>>1108194
>FDA puts two cigars a day as being the same as not smoking at all. FDA has mild pipe smoking as living longer than not smoking. Studies based on not inhailing
Source? Just curious.
>>
>>1108194
How olds your info? Because literally the first link on google:

The FDA, which now regulates cigars, has taken the position that “cigar smoking carries many of the same health risks as cigarette smoking.” The agency is requiring cigar packages and ads to display six new warnings, including:
Cigar smoking can cause cancers of the mouth and throat, even if you do not inhale.
Cigar smoking can cause lung cancer and heart disease.
Cigars are not a safe alternative to cigarettes.

dated august 2016.
>>
>>1108279

Buddy pulled this up a few weeks ago, he is a night worker and sleeping now, ill see if I can get that source. We found out about it when reading about the new regulations that classify pipes as tobacco thus making pipes require licensing.
>>
>>1108293

Obama changed a lot of the FDA's stuff about smoking. So I need to go and reread, last time I checked was probably six or so years ago. Personally I don't give a kek because I smoke two or three cigars a week and regardless of risks plan to continue.

I figure I might get lip cancer eventually, maybe esophogas, but whatever.

I apologize my information is dated and I provided inaccurate information.
>>
I used to smoke swisher sweet little cigars because they were just cigarettes that were cheaper than actual smokes.
>>
>>1108108
Apparently you've never used carbon electrodes

Notice how they keep getting shorter and shorter the more you use them?

Carbon doesn't burn easily but it does burn

It's used as ablative shielding because it's easy to change out, cheap, and takes a shit ton of energy to ignite. Especially in the low oxygen upper atmosphere where it matters.

But it does burn
>>
>>1108401
Indeed. Interestingly enough Chernobyl was such a disaster because the graphite in the reactor catched fire and threw a lot of shit out of the containment.
>>
>>1108401
>anthracite coal 80% carbon
>>
>>1108542
>graphite 99.9% carbon
>>
>>1107603
Be sure to use a butane lighter or properly made wooden matches. You can also burn cedar but that's a pain in the ass.
>>
>>1107593
Wet them down in the sink anon.
>>
>>1108108
And you go back to kindergarten, because you seem to think shouting stupid lies is more desirable than learning.
>>
>>1107593
get your finger moist with water, Make the length of the cigar JUST A LITTLE MOIST, A finger width worth at most. Put it in a small ziplock. Wait a day. Whiskey isn't bad choice either.
>>
>>1110367

Carbon has the highest sublimation point of all the elements.

You'd literally need temperatures and pressures associated with cosmic events to burn carbon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon

Burning something turns it from a solid state to a gaseous state.

I'd like to know how this guy can burn carbon. Is he an ayy?
>>
>>1108401
>>1108422
>>1108554

Graphite has a lower sublimation point than carbon.

Notice how science differentiates between carbon and graphite.
>>
>>1110401
You are a retard

Burning carbon isn't sublimation you fucking retard. Burning is oxidation. Burning is a chemical reaction not a phase change.

Go back to middle school level science
>>
>>1110403
Graphite is pure carbon. And sublimation has nothing to do with burning
>>
>>1110401
"All carbon allotropes are solids under normal conditions, with graphite being the most thermodynamically stable form. They are chemically resistant and require high temperature to react even with oxygen."

You might want to read the link you posted. Or maybe learn some of those words you posted.

Sublimation has fuck all to do with burning.
>>
>>1110401
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(phase_transition)

Please go back to school
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.