[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Residential Architecture Deos anyone have any good resources

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

File: iStock_000016523977XSmall-1.jpg (111KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000016523977XSmall-1.jpg
111KB, 425x282px
> Residential Architecture

Deos anyone have any good resources for residential architecture/building your own house (America)? I am looking to build my own house on a plot of land I would like to buy. I want to go this option so I can have a house with a layout that I actually want that doesn't need work to update it. I see houses that are selling for waaaaay too much money that need a lot of updates (roof, windows, ect).
>>
>>1107559
Juat hire an architect.

With out an architecture license or a structural engineering stamp your building wont be approved to be built by your local gov. Nor will a bank finance it.
>>
>>1107561
>/diy/
>"How do I [do thing myself]?"
>Hire someone else to do it :^)
>>
>>1107561
Thanks for the reply.
I was looking into the construction loans aspect of this, and it looks like banks want 'reputable' contractors to give you a loan. I know 'reputable' contractors and have met many more, they're scum 90% of the time. Do you think there is any way to get around this? I'd rather not work with these shit heads in this area.
>>
File: IMG_20170101_131827.jpg (748KB, 1600x912px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170101_131827.jpg
748KB, 1600x912px
Here's my small collection of books.

Currently scoping out my best options.

I'm dirt poor but even if I could buy some dirt cheap shitty land an hour away it'd be cheaper than paying rent.
>>
>>1107565
Those look like books my dad had when I was a kid showing how to do many household remodeling things. Are those older books?
>>
>>1107563

>/diy/
>how do I do this?
>don't, you're not qualified and risk significant time/money/blood
>>
File: PM_006.jpg (55KB, 710x297px) Image search: [Google]
PM_006.jpg
55KB, 710x297px
>>1107564
by 'reputable' they mean the contractor is licensed and bonded. that bond is essentially insurance should the house not get built correctly or the contractor just dips the fuck out.

the only way to get around this is to get your own contractors license. you are going to want to do this anyways so you can have access to contractor supply stores.

unfortunately this does not guarantee that the bank will finance you. the general idea against self build loans is that they want you working to make money so you can pay the loan instead of spending all your time trying to slap your house together.

im a mechanical engineer with a class b contractors license in my state and the banks i've talked to are only willing to finance power/well/septic because they objectively increase the value of the property (aka the collateral they will seize should you not get the house built).

for anyone that is really serious about building their own house, you have at least 6 months of pencil/paper work to do before you even think about breaking ground.

you might not need an engineer to sign off on every section of your prints, check with your municipality to see exactly what kind of engineering documents they are going to require to issue permits.

most people who do what you are doing either save up for years and years, or they "buy as they go" utilizing cheap/free recycled materials. sorry if this is discouraging.
>>
>>1107561
>wont be approved by your local gov.
How the fuck do you know?

Each governing jurisdiction has different laws regarding construction.

My county only has legal requirement. That is that a plan be submitted to the county and a building permit be pulled.

That permit has no inspections attached to it and there's no specification on the contents of the "plans" or how they're approved.

Hell I've seen house plans submitted that were written in pencil on a piece of paper saying "2 bedroom house approksimately 25×35 with kichen and livin room and toilet on slab" on file in the county office.
>>
>>1107578
A lot of the local departments that handle this stuff in America are a PITA to work with.
>>
>>1107566

Time Life. Yea they are older.

https://www.amazon.com/Plumbing-Time-Life-Books/dp/0809423669
>>
>/diy/ architecture

You don't. Unless you studied architecture and knows what the fuck you are doing. Architecture and design is far too complex and big a topic to discuss on 4chan. The most logical answer would be "hire an architect" because that is what they are for. Even if you want to /diy/ a house you are actually going to build ultimately to local laws and regulations, and more often than not, you will hire someone or something to do the construction. A building is almost certainly outside of the scope of /diy/.

If you are talking about the actual architectural design, local codes will be a good starting point. Other than that, local history and historical buildings, traditional construction methods and materials. Study famous architects for actually good designs. Look at Pinterest and the internets for inspo and concepts and copy them.

Unless you are doing niggertectures like underground container builds then you can go ahead and ignore everything.
>>
>>1107577
Great post. Thanks for the information.

>>1107588
Why assume everyone on 4chan is half retarded? Architecture isn't some great mysterious fucking voodoo shit. The hardest part is definitely going to be getting sign off from the local government branches. Designing a small residential house doesn't look that difficult to learn. Also, no, this thread isn't one of those 'bury a shipping container' things.
>>
>>1107645
>Designing a small residential house doesn't look that difficult to learn.

You see, that is exactly why I think you might be one of those half retarded people. If you are so fucking smart about it, you wouldn't be making this thread, cos everyone can figure that shit out, but no, every fucking body assume they know everything a professional knows and try to nigger shit a fucking house on their own and go full retard and put a window on top of a stairwell where you can't reach, for example. You are no different from all those fucking retards that say twisting wires together isn't that hard and goes try to pretend they are a fucking electrician, or try to build a fucking bed out of 2x4s without bracing and fucking kill themselves when the thing collapses and fucking splinters right through their fucking chest. No, it ain't some voodoo shit, but when niggers try to play pretend, people fucking die from it, or some fucking stupid shit happens. People don't fucking know what they don't know. You are clearly one of those niggers.
>>
>>1107645
Gonna side with >>1107658 on this. You seem to expect saving a lot of money by leaving out the architect and doing it yourself. You have watched too much "fabulous homes" or whatever that show is called on BBC. That doesn't work for regular houses. You gonna end up paying at least double if you solo this. But hey, if you can afford it..
>>
>>1107559
Basic design isnt hard, nor is room layout.

But it is the technical and structral shit that you have no idea about.
That is why you higher a architecture firm or structural engineer to do the calculations and stamp thr documents.
>>
>>1107658
Gotta love 4chan

> I'm retarded therefore you must be too

I don't have anything to add, OP, but don't let retards here stop you from doing what you want. Look up the local governing body for your area and then meet with someone to talk about what you want to do and where. They'll point you in a better direction than these people here that are just shitheads.
>>
>>1107684
That is just fucking great, you are one of those people who like to take words and put into people's mouths, go ahead and call me a retard cos you have nothing to say, if you are so fucking smart why do you even need to look things up, you should just do whatever the fuck you want, fuck the retards who does research and things. You are the real retard. Just shut the fuck up next time you don't have anything to add. You are not adding fucking anything. Fuck only a retard would things like "look up local governing body for your area" and some meaningless shit "meet with someone to talk about what you want to do and where". What the fuck. Shut the fuck up.
>>
File: 32.jpg (41KB, 600x477px) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
41KB, 600x477px
>>1107704
>Look up the local governing body for your area and then meet with someone to talk about what you want to do and where. They'll point you in a better direction than these people here that are just shitheads

Looks like this person added more than you ever would >>1107704
>>
File: 1473489117362.jpg (19KB, 280x400px) Image search: [Google]
1473489117362.jpg
19KB, 280x400px
>>1107658
>>1107666
>>1107704

residential construction is piss easy. its just a lot of steps you have to learn because the modern process is so compartmentalized. those ticky tack suburb specials that are going for $200-$300k a pop on less than 1/4 an acre are built to the margins of cheapness in terms of material and labor. they get paid not to design a house that stands up, they get paid to design a house that looks more expensive than it is and barely meets code in every aspect. any retard can thumb through a code book, go one up and one over in the tables, and build an over engineered single family dwelling thats still less than what most modern contract builders are charging.
>>
File: 36c.jpg (84KB, 907x661px) Image search: [Google]
36c.jpg
84KB, 907x661px
>>1107704
>if I say fuck it means I'm cool
>>
http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED224919.pdf
>>
>>1107561
This is maybe BS, I dont know where you are but laws are different everywhere.

I've designed and built 2 of my own houses, the only things needing to be engineered are joists and trusses, and the manufacturer will supply you with those drawings.

Check your local codes office and see what they require, floor plans and elevations rarely need stamps, get a torrent of chief architect and hop to it.
>>
File: 1460223891452.jpg (38KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1460223891452.jpg
38KB, 480x640px
What's with these guys thinking that they can build a decent building without any expertise or consulting from an architect or engineer. You go right ahead. Can't wait until your shit drawings get stalled at city hall, you fuckin dipshits. I see tons of you guys every year and they always end up folding and getting an actual stamped drawing before building whatever shit idea they had.

xoxo
-an architect with a city plans examiner wife

p.s. if you're the kind of guy that thinks building a shitty shack in the woods with fucked up glazing, insulation, and build quality passes as "residential architecture" then go neck yourself. Or better yet, just sit in your structure and wait until it collapses/leaks in a few years.
>>
>>1108383
>what's with these guys thinking they can do what millions of other men have done before
>give me shekels or I'll sick my wife on you

Most of the engineering for a small simple home has already been done and readily available. If you follow building code and use have even a small amount of construction experience you'll be fine.

Like I said above, floor joist and truss drawings stamped, and the manufacturer will do this. Why in the fuck would I have you have stamp simple elevations and floor plans that have no structural details in them?

>hurr durr your house will fall in and leak.

Fuck off with your fear mongering bullshit. There's 80 year old farm houses still standing all over the place here that were thrown together by a bunch of illiterate farmers cutting their own wood on site. Christ when we built my brothers place we didn't even look at the fucking drawings after the subfloor was on.
>>
>>1108503
Where I am, if you do it the old fashioned way with a ridge board and rafters you don't need any engineering stamp; nothing is engineered. Cost isn't that different either, I think time is most of what trusses save.
>>
Structural Engineer here.

When I build my own house I fully intend to hire an architect to do the fiddly shit. I don't know enough about vapour membranes and insulation to deal with that.

OP has no experience in either.

lol. Good luck buddo.
>>
>>1110705
My dude, tell me about your job.

I just got hired as an SE, but more like a tech than anything. It's an architecture firm with about 7 or so SE.

Have a Civil degree, just obtained. I took classes in Masonry, Concrete, and Steel. While I think it's all pretty interesting and worth pursuing I am unsure how the job itself looks.

Also, I am unsure if it's better to get a PE or SE first. (I'm from the Illanoise)
>>
>>1110728
>architecture firm.
Architects are retarded.

I graduated from a UK university (globally within the top 25) with a Civils degree too.
Here we don't elect to take classes (not for engineering subjects anyway - maybe intro to buddhism or whatever for an hour a week or some shit)

Engineering degrees are monitored by a joint board of national moderators that ensure that the same thing is taught to all students regardless of location. Effectively standardised.

All the stuff you described is what we'd just call 'structural design'.

Anyway.

>graduated
>found a job within weeks
>working for 3 years at the same firm in LONDON
>shit pay (36k after 3 years - started on 23k in a city where rent is 800 per month)
>shit hours
>still earning more than my peers

Most of my work is in niche stuff for high end clients. Knobheads who want a glass and aluminium staircase for their house... then a matching one for their Yacht.

Some large scale towers etc too.

Smaller firms offer you much better range of work than larger ones as far as I can tell. My peers are stuck analysing beams or working on a 2 projects over 3 years. I've started and closed out over 30 in that time. Wider range of materials, aluminium, FRP, Glass, etc.

I'm working on getting a research team together at my firm for parametric design. Built a reprap with the help of /3dpg/ and with it, I seem to have convinced my director to buy some professional SLA machines.

Now I just need to find the time to learn rhino and grasshopper.

>Also, I am unsure if it's better to get a PE or SE first. (I'm from the Illanoise)
No idea. I'm in the UK. Don't know what any of that means. Sorry friendo. Here, we get the acreddited degree as stated earlier, then we gain experience. After that, we go through professional interviews, and a 10 hour exam to get the title of Chartered Structural Engineer.

I aim to be chartered by age 27.
>>
>>1110752
>Architects are retarded.
That is what every engineer say, because they are not smart enough to do the shit architects do and they are just jealous.

Architects laugh at you guys every time.
>>
>>1110756
List of questions I've had from qualified architects:

>Can the underfloor heating go UNDER the basement slab - or does that pose a structural problem

>But we removed a storey off the 30 storey building, why has the stability core not reduced in thickness?

>Do we absolutely NEED these columns on the 5th floor? (same building as above) We can have them below and above, but we want open space at this level

>X building (3 storeys) has an 8m cantilever only 350mm deep, why do we need a 1.2m deep one for our building (10 storeys)

>Can we cut the bottom 3/4 of this beam (midspan) to fit a drain through?

>we don't need a beam here, I think you need to take a different 'view' of the situation. (talking about removing a chimney breast at the lower storey of a 5 storey house)

And....... I shit you not:
>What does 'top of wall' mean on your drawings

What else am I supposed to think?
>>
>>1110763
I'd like to hear your answers
>>
>>1110752
Ah, your charter is about the same as a PE (Professional Engineer License). The SE is the Structural Engineers License, some states require it in addition to the PE.

Also, we have ABET accreditation here to ensure that most of our civil engineering programs are similar between schools like your boards.

Another question I have for you, but it might be different in bongistan. Is it typically worthwhile to pursue a master's degree in structural, or can you get by without going that route?
>>
>>1110756
>they are just jealous.
>being jealous of a cake decorator
>>
>>1110901
>Is it typically worthwhile to pursue a master's degree in structural

not him, but a masters in engineering is the best ROI you can get on your education. in general you will command about 20k more a year.

also, theres been quite a bit of rumbling about making a masters degree a requirement for PE licensure.
>>
>>1111091
>in general you will command about 20k more a year

that really depends where you want to work.

Work with a few young PHD's and see how worthless they are. Just because you get more schooling doesn't mean you are a better engineer.

This is why there is such a resistance against ASCE's "Raise the Bar Initiative"
>>
>>1111091
Not all engineering. Masters in a CSE is a huge waste of time and money.
>>
>>1111092
i don't disagree with you. my point was that most MEng programs are only a year to go up one tier in credentialing. the potential gain is enormous compared to what you actually have to do to get it.

if you were talking about a legit thesis based MS degree then i might think twice just because that shit is a ball of stress.
>>
>>1110728
PE first then the SE

Source. PE SE in Illinois.
>>
>>1110728
you never need to take the PE exam if you are only doing SE work.

If you are doing structual work day to day, the PE afternoon should be a cake-walk for you. The morning might be a bit more of a challenge, but buy the CERM (civil engineering reference manual). It will carry you through the first 4 hours of the exam.
>>
>>1110705
>I don't know enough about vapour membranes and insulation to deal with that.

I am genuinely curious to know where you live that this is a requirement to show on drawings. The most retarded of the retards are in charge of insulating and vapour barrier in your house, just so you know.
>>
>>1111137
THANK YOU!

Why though.
>>
My dream is to own some worthless land in the desert and live there. I want to erect a barn or hangar and anchor a mobile home under it. An enclosed steel prefab with roller doors would be nice.

Anyone familiar with zoning laws in general? I've never seen this done but I'm not sure why it can't be unless there is some shithead law saying I can't.
>>
File: 1479083506386.jpg (32KB, 480x405px) Image search: [Google]
1479083506386.jpg
32KB, 480x405px
>mfw I'm a civil engineer and an architect hires us to review their plans
>comic sans leader text
>>
>>1110771
Seconding this.
>>
>>1107564
>Do you think there is any way to get around this?
the only way i think would be if you used one of those groups that "find the contractors for you" kind of thing where you customize with them and then they find the people for you then you approve or tell them to find someone else to do X specific part of the home

or maybe make your version in a 3d model then hire firm to make your version realistic then take that model and use it to hire a separate architect.

if you need to learn this stuff then it would be less time consuming and more safe if you hire someone
>>
>>1107559
depends on the state, city/county/municipal/zoning codes, who it's going to be inhabited by, and what sort of structure it is (relocatable, permanent)
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.