[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ever hiring a plumber vid related. $90,000 in damages.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

File: funny-image-1.jpg (44KB, 600x556px) Image search: [Google]
funny-image-1.jpg
44KB, 600x556px
>ever hiring a plumber

vid related. $90,000 in damages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBVWp7MfQaU
>>
>>1107292
Can someone explain whats going on here?

Im no plumber, but ive put in a few faucets and ive replaced bad shutoff valves before.
Why didnt they shut the houses water off?
>>
Plumber is clearly fucking up badly, better whip out the iphone and take video. Someone else can make a pile of rags and wetvac the water while he attempts to work on a pressurized pipe.

Seriously, that plumber is shit, but the homeowners or whoever are taking video are equally retarded for not shutting off water to the house. This unfortunately is really common; a lot of homeowners have no fucking idea how plumbing or electric works, let alone simple shutoff valves or breaker switches work. I don't feel bad for these idiots.
>>
>>1107313
At least he filmed in landscape mode instead of portrait.
>>
>>1107313
But if you watch a little more into it, he says the water is off and even checks. Something else is clearly wrong
>>
>>1107336
praise kek

>>1107308
>Can someone explain whats going on here?
Insurance fraud.
>>
>>1107340
Well, when he goes outside it's clearly not a house but an apartment building. They're probably californians.
>>
>>1107345
Not californians, they have a drought kek
>>
Plumber here

Any backstory to this?

Did it break on him or did he fuck up and cut a pressurized line?

Why are people trying to wetvac the hall with that going on? Holy fuck, either turn off the main or call the fire dept and have them come do it.

>>1107340

Well, water is obviously not off. All he had to do was open the faucet after turning the main off to check it.
>>
>>1107355
Towards the end, it looks like the water is literally shooting out of the wall, so you do the math
>>
>>1107356

Judging by the fact that it looks like a crack house and everyone is speaking Spanish, I'd say it's cheap cpvc pipe that broke off when he was trying to tighten the supply. That stuff gets so brittle when it ages.

No way that's 90k in damages. That entire apartment isn't even worth that
>>
>>1107359
>cheap pvc
I think my landlord's plumber tried to install the cheap crappy pvc until his boss told him to get higher quality stuff.

>90k
Gotta get someone to click on it somehow
>>
>>1107355
Found original video on liveleak
Here is the description

>Landlord calls plumber who foolishly tries to repair a leak without first turning the water off. He did not want to pay the $150 water shut-off fee and instead causes over $10,000 in damage to two apartments.
>>
>>1107365
If he paid 150, then how would he profit?
>>
>>1107367
Forward the cost to the landlord. Just like permits.
>>
>>1107292
At least he saved his Minion slippers
>>
>>1107365

What do they mean "$150 shut off fee"?

As in the plumber has a charge to turn the water off for a repair? That makes no sense and no one would have a fee like that.
>>
>>1107372
If you want the water company to send a man and shut the main water off at the street, its a fee.
Im guessing the apartments didnt have indoor shutoffs?

Though maybe he is just a huge retard who doesnt know what he is doing. You can buy shutoff keys at home depot for 50$ and do it yourself. And real plumber has one in the van
>>
>>1107374
Every place I've ever lived in had two main shutoffs: One for the owner and one for the water company. Even then, the one for the water company was just a handless valve inside a little concrete box. You could still work it with a standard box wrench of the correct size. Whoever this tard is he has no business selling his services to anyone.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPlJX6FeQQ
>>
>>1107292
I think you mean $90.00 in damages.
>>
I never understood the plumber meme. Unless you're dealing with sewer lines, it's easy to just cut and replace the shit yourself.
>>
>>1107387

Sewer line is easy as shit to work on too. You literally just dig it up, cut it out with a sawzall, and reattach the new section with two inexpensive no-hub clamps that only requires a screwdriver to tighten.

As a plumber, it still amazes me how many people don't realize that they can fix 90% of their own car/plumbing/health/electrical/whatever problems with just YouTube videos.

I'd say that less than 10% of situations couldn't be done with just online guided and videos.

Hardest part is having the right tools and the intelligence to adapt to your situation.

This isn't justboomers either, the self proclaimed tech savy Millennials don't even realize they can use the Internet to learn instead of just Facebook.

We live in the golden age of DIY with so many detailed Internet guides.
>>
>>1107393
>Facebook
But muh Farmville
>>
>>1107393

I do simple sewer repairs, but I've got a weak stomach, so after 5 minutes the smell gets to be too much.

My mother and father literally DIY an entire new house when I was growing up. It's amazing thinking back on it because it was before the internet. The only thing they didn't do was the foundation and they had a plumber and electrician look over their work after they finished. It's a great house, but they chose a mundane suburban house blueprint.
>>
>>1107393
The amount of knowledge and the ease of getting it on youtube and the internet as a whole right now is mind boggling.
Ive always like to tinker and play around, im in my mid 20s. Ten years ago the internet was great and all, but its nothing like we have now.

Not everyone growing up will care, but for the tinkerers or hobbyists just growing up its got to be amazing.
Little things, like using youtube to figure out something in a video game is conditioning them that they can easily find and learn.
Even that huge fucking faggot KipKay is overall doing good for us.
>>
>>1107399
What's wrong with KipKay?
>>
>>1107400
Hes a faggot and his projects are garbage.
But he makes 8 years olds happy, even little projects can give them confidence they need to be less of a buyfag
>>
>>1107387
The hardest part about it is to calculate the lines in the first place.
>>
>>1107396
>After 5 minutes the smell is too much

Weak lol. I used to work labor for a plumbing company that replaced a lot of septic tanks. One day I'm digging up a lid so we can pump the tank. I dig 'till I'm about 4 or 5 inches of dirt away from the lid. Turns out I'm standing right on it with my left leg and this old metal tank is swiss cheese so I fall right in like a trap door outta no where and my entire left leg gets covered in sewage. Still spent the whole day digging and shit lol.
>>
>>1107393
Whats funny is a LOT of plumbers I know will refuse to do electrical work, or drywall work. When you finally get it out of them, its because they want someone else to fuck it up, or pay someone with the knowledge and expertise to get it right the first time.
>>
>$90,000

How is that even possible?
>>
>>1107374
He's probably not legally allowed to shut the water off at the street without city approval, which will most likely require that fee. If he's smart enough to know that, though, he'd be smart enough to not do work with pressurized pipes and be liable for damages (unless he's working for a company and they told him to do that, but why?). Unless he has it in writing that he wanted to shut the water off to the building to do the work, and that it could result in damages that he's not liable for, and that the owner signed it in triplicate with a separate witness with initials on each of the itemized risks stating "do it anyway", in which case that owner can get fucked.
>>
>>1107739

But who the hell builds a home/flat without an extra valve where the water enters the home?
>>
>>1107740
A lot of duplexes, condos, and apartments do not have valves to shut off for individual units. It is usually a shutoff for an entire building.

Why the city utility has to do it is beyond me; its usually an HOA or management company that doesn't want to inconvenience people for a couple hours while a plumber does something in one unit.

It is also beyond me why there isn't a shutoff valve for each unit to avoid inconvenience.
>>
its so fucking easy to shut the water off at the curb. i doubt this guy was really a plumber.
>>
My mother's condo charges something like $300 to shut off the water to the entire 14-story building, which is usually set to 12am-3am. Often, several residents with plumbing needs will chip in so they can split the cost if possible. If some residents think they may need to do this often, they will have a personal shutoff also installed in their condo so they can shut off their own water supply.
>>
>>1107399
Fuck that guy is the worst, it made me want to simultaneously kill him and myself when his shit used to get suggested to me on YouTube.
>>
>>1107393
I trust my own handy work to do sewer lines and the lines from a shutoff to fixture (ie the screw on lines) but I don't touch pipes behind the fixture shutoff. To much they don't show you can happen and my insurance will just say "enjoy your ruined original hardwood floors. Should have hired a licensed plumber!"

Fortunately, the only plumbing I need is a cold water line to my fridge. Shouldn't cost more than an hour of labor and $15 in parts since I have a pipe right next to the fridge.
>>
>>1107953

>Original hard wood floors
>Ruined

How can they be? By original I am sure you mean the good stuff. Which means solid wood. How would a little water give those any problems?
>>
>>1107750
>It is also beyond me why there isn't a shutoff valve for each unit to avoid inconvenience.
>>1107365
>$150 water shut-off fee
>>1107374
>buy shutoff keys at home depot for 50$

what a fucking racket.
guy that built out house built all the houses in our street. by himself. there are only 4. we have a mains water supply comes in the bathroom with a shutoff. pretty sure its mandatory to have a gate valve so the water company can isolate you when you fuck up bad enough that someone calls them or they notice.
we have a second supply in the utility room which is actually the old site supply from when the houses were being built. there is no other shutoff except the main street supply which turns off everyone in the streets supply.
we asked a plumber to come in and fit a supply for a washing machine. he refused to touch the site supply and then left.
uncle turned up after hearing about it. found some old scrap metal in the garage and built a key for the street isolator. waited until night time when all the lights went off and turned off the supply in the street, fitted a valve, turned it back on. took him 10 minutes cost him i don't know how much for the valve nothing for the key which we kept just for emergencies.
i was a kid then but i'm grown up now and i taught myself the basics after new house had shitty plastic and it all leaked constantly.
i used to like doing electrics and wiring and was always afraid of leaks and fucking up but its a piece of cake.
i begrudge paying someone to solder or screw some copper together and i would absolutely lose my head if anyone suggested i had to pay 150$ for turning off the fucking water. unbelievable.
>>
>>1108602
Saturating a wood floor causes the wood to swell and buckle.

I had to replace a whole gym floor a few years back because there was a roof leak coming down inside a wall and pooling under the floor.

Finally noticed when the gym teacher walked in one day after a long weekend that rained non-stop and the whole center of the floor had buckled and had standing water in there.

Insurance paid for it all except a new waterproof membrane that we didn't have before, but fuck are gym floors expensive.
>>
>>1107345
>spanish
it checks out.
>>
He probably didn't shut off the water heater tank valve and just the cold/apartment shutoff and let the huge tank of water spray out... Or do you not have water tanks over there?
>>
>>1109277
>That pressure
>That much water
Nigga u dum
He was panicking because the main shutoff failed or broke at the incoming water, and he can't get to the main shut off while that's happening. He probably also has no clue where it's at.

I feel bad for him. Ultimately, it probably wasn't his fault. No plumber cuts a live pipe where it matters. Outside? Cool, go for it.

He'll get fired, though. Poor guy.
>>
>>1107292
Not bad, not bad. I'll see your Mexican plumber and raise you a Polish plumber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQrX8LQM7K0
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.