[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to build a sailboat that basically flies whenever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: AK_AC34SepD7_5317.jpg (326KB, 1300x775px) Image search: [Google]
AK_AC34SepD7_5317.jpg
326KB, 1300x775px
Is it possible to build a sailboat that basically flies whenever its not floating?

A ton of sail and such. How could it work?

Also, could you put a sail on a hang glider and basically never have to land?
>>
>>1107269
No
>>
>>1107274

(._.)
>>
File: Jasper_Whistle_ID_by_IncB.jpg (745KB, 2318x3091px) Image search: [Google]
Jasper_Whistle_ID_by_IncB.jpg
745KB, 2318x3091px
>>1107269
Speak to me human, what makes you think that this is possible? what are your limits for making this? money? time?
>>
File: PERLAN 2 Glider 7-14.jpg (139KB, 600x329px) Image search: [Google]
PERLAN 2 Glider 7-14.jpg
139KB, 600x329px
It's possible in theory but not realistically.

The first isn't hard to achieve at all. But what you probably want is a boat that flies most of the time and that's very hard and dangerous.
>hang glider with sail
If you had a very good way of inspecting air flow you could automate sails to hinder you very little while gliding and assist you where possible. But no it's not particularly feasible.

Gliding on air currents in a proper glider plane can get you really far in most places of the world. They're really impressive craft.
>>
>>1107269
Possible? Yes. But doing it? Oh, that's something Lockheed would have trouble puling off.

>How could it work?
A sailboat uses both wind and a keel/fins to push against both water and air to produce net forces that move it where desired. A flying sailboat would only be able to push against the air, which tends to move in one direction. And it would tend to push the sailboat along with it like a balloon, further reducing its ability to push against it (which is normally addressed with an engine to move the craft around while it pushes against the air). This would prevent sails from helping hang gliders.

So what can be done? The answer relies on wind shear. Wind speed is slowest at the surface, and it rises quickly with height in open areas. This means that it's possible to push against two wind conditions in a relatively close area if they can be bridged somehow. This is how albatrosses fly for days without flapping their wings - they soar in the faster higher wind until they move along with it, then dive into the slower lower wind, and use the (to them) fast-moving lower air to extract energy that lets them soar back up into the higher air, where they extract more height from the reversed speed transition. A flying sailboat would either use this kind of dynamic soaring or have air foils in both fast high air and slow surface air. In either case, it would have to be extremely light for its size - more like a human-powered aircraft then a sailboat, which would make it unsuited for sailing on water.
>>
>>1107269

Hydroptère :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdifNI354yE
>>
File: floating boat.jpg (293KB, 900x630px) Image search: [Google]
floating boat.jpg
293KB, 900x630px
>>1107269
Yes. There are many of these out there.
Germany makes the best.
>>
>>1107269
so you want a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofoil
or you want somthing like a ekranoplan ?
>>
>>1107446
This Anon has it.
OP's basically asking about a glider.
Even with a more sailboat-y design, you need winds going upwards (thermals) to have your sail push you upwards.
You can't tack against the wind unless you have something like water to push against.

>>1107478
They stopped making commercial airships for a reason. Even without the dangers of hydrogen fire, they have a really poor safety record.

OP, are you looking for a free-energy.solution?
You might think more about solar cells and less about sails.
>>
>>1107436

>what makes you think this is possible
Curiosity.
>my limits and money
I have 3 dollars to my name, no property, and in particular no property with river/sea access.

I just think it'd be cool as fuck. Sails are already wings and if your boat can fly with the wind, not being able to fly upwind wouldn't matter because it'd be fast as hell and awesome as fuck.

>>1107446

Good point, gliders are cool
>>
>>1107537
>Sails are already wings
what's wrong with you
>>
>>1107570
but they are
>>
>>1107269
>could you put a sail on a hang glider and basically never have to land?

google for sailplane
>>
>>1107570

OP here.

For upwind sailing, sailboats use their sails as wings.

Upright wings made from cloth, but allegedly they use the same fundamentals.
>>
Kite powered hydrofoil may be the closest you can get without space magic.
>>
>>1107469
55km/hr, holy fuck
>>
>>1108385
Do you mean knots?
>>
>>1108424
I mean 55 kilometers per hour. Or 30 knots.
>>
File: Centzon.jpg (58KB, 896x840px) Image search: [Google]
Centzon.jpg
58KB, 896x840px
Ergo proxy had one of those
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle

Comes close
>>
>>1108440
Do you mean the 30 knots it did on its way up to 55 knots?
>>
>>1108464
Maybe?. At 5:13 when the boat is fully lifted out of the water(afaik). Them cruising around. Not the record speed. Also, that's wild they got up to that speed!
>>
>>1108469
It is and it's not even the fastest sailboat. Sailrocket has that honour at over 120km/h.
>>
>>1107469
Thanks for reminding me how much I detest the french.
>>
>>1108584
Maybe you should go out more often.
>>
>>1107269
No.

However, you can do this thing called dynamic soaring to take advantage of wind shear. In addition, one can take advantage of thermals and what not to stay in the air for a very long time with minimal power consumption.

Frigatebirds have been found to stay in the air for MONTHS on end using such techniques.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/frigate-birds-fly-nonstop-months

UAVs are getting better at doing this than birds:
http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2013/03/dynamic-soaring-and-riding-rising.html?m=1
>>
>>1107269
>Is it possible to build a sailboat that basically flies whenever its not floating?
Yes, as long as either A) you leave a daggerboard or some sort of hydrofoil ine water to provide the lateral resistance necessary for wind propulsion to work, or B) can catch an updraft and be carried aloft by mother nature like this sorry fellow did here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUGqqMc5mNk

>Also, could you put a sail on a hang glider and basically never have to land?
No. But again, with updrafts to exploit, you can remain aloft in a hang glider without needing a sail at all.

You see, the thing about sail propulsion is that, in order for it to work, you NEED the lateral resistance of a board in the water (or a wheel on the ground, or a blade on the ice). Without lateral resistance, the wind cannot provide any additional power to the system, and your "boat" will simply drift downwind and settle back into the water. Want a demonstration? Go fly a kite, then let go of it and see what happens.

>A ton of sail and such. How could it work?
Well, Hydroptere is an example of a hydrofoiling sailboat that "flies" on hydrodynamic lift from the foils. Sail Rocket is an example of an experimental sailboat that flies using aerodynamic lift from it's inclined, massive kite of a mainsail, anchored to the water's surface by it's single L-shaped hydrofoil. Kiteboarders regularly make tremendous jumps by sharply steering their kites overhead to briefly lift them into the air (until they begin to drift downwind and must glide back to the water again as the kite loses airspeed).

So I suppose the most extreme example of a "flying" "sailboat" would look something like this:
>A massively oversized parafoil/parasail, with a harness or a basket hanging from it for you to ride in
>A length of cable running down to the water
>A sea anchor or, better yet, a massive sea kite to provide lateral resistance and keep the rig aloft
Is that close enough to what you had in mind?
>>
File: Sail Rocket foce diagram.jpg (42KB, 630x459px) Image search: [Google]
Sail Rocket foce diagram.jpg
42KB, 630x459px
>>1108990
>4got pickchur
>>
>>1107274
Fpbp
>>
You could put a collapsible sail on a seaplane.
>>
>>1107269
You mean an hidrofoil sailboat? That can be done.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.