[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>find 4 benchtop motors in a estate sale and get them for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: GE motor.jpg (83KB, 560x461px) Image search: [Google]
GE motor.jpg
83KB, 560x461px
>find 4 benchtop motors in a estate sale and get them for $2 a pop
>have fixed 2 of them
>the 3rd runs ok so im using it for now
>working on the 4th currently
>its an old GE washing machine motor
>like pic related
>take it apart for cleaning
>swap out the power cord because exposed metal on power cord wires are something i dont like
>clean out all the gunk
>put it back together
>fire it up and it runs fine
>check online and see what i should use for lube on the bearings
>interwebs and /diy/ says 10w-30 motor oil is fine
>dribble some in
>go to eat supper
>come back down and put the mounting legs on
>test it one more time
>motor hums but dose not spin
>can turn it without a load on but can not turn it by hand under load

Da fug happened to my $2 motor?

Got a soild 1/2 HP (pre WW2 as best i can tell) emmerson, 1/3 HP 1950's - 1960's craftsman and a 1910(ish) 1/4 hp westinghouse motor out of the estate sale.

I rewired the emmerson because it had a suicide special wiring job. the i put a new power cord on the craftsman because the old one was cracking. The westinghouse is the next one im gonna work on.

Not really ticked about being out $2. but i had to have done something to screw up the GE motor and my pride demands i unscrew it.

The only thing that i did to it aside from clean the gunk and give it some fresh paint was put the 10w-30 for bearing lube. but i had several people tell me thats what they use all the time on their benchmotors.
>>
>>1106860
Just sounds like your motor windings shorted out and died.. Probably was already shorted. Did you smell a horrible plastic smell?
>>
>>1106915

it hums and there is some smoke that comes up. I thought it was the oil. smells like the stuff model train guys use for the engines that put out puffs of smoke.

If i had gotten a drop on the windings could that have cause the issue?
>>
>>1106918
Why would a drop get on the windings? Motors that are meant to be oiled have oil pots. You shouldn't get oil anywhere near the windings. Are you saying you have been manually adding oil to standard ball bearings?
>>
>>1107038

No there are little ports that i dribbled some oil in. However during the process of taking it apart for cleaning i had been fliping it around and moving it to get access to the gubbins i needed too.

Looking at the inside of the motor i could see how some could have possibly spilled out though. it is not fully encased on the older motor.

Its not ball bearings. there is a well with a wick that goes up to where the shaft is. the wick picks up the lube and lubes the shaft.
>>
it's not the oil's fault.

insulation is burning off the starter winding as it overheats. it smells like an old train set, right?

stop frying your starter winding and go find out why the motor isn't spinning up. is it jammed on the spindle or is there no power to the primary winding?
>>
>>1107067

I doubt the spindle was jammed. i could turn it by hand without a load on it. but when i pluged it in it would not budge. Though maybe something was getting moved when i put power to it.

Being at a loss for what to do i just took it apart again. decided since i had it apart that i would just snip off and rewire as much of the crappy old wiring as i could. Found some of the wiring to be shoddy.

Maybe it had a bad connection somewhere?

Not sure but i put it all back together again and it fired right up.
>>
>>1107594
What kind of starting mechanism does this motor have? A starting capacitor? Repulsion start, induction run? It's quite possible something there has failed and that is keeping it from coming up to speed. Your symptoms are exactly like a failed starting capacitor or start windings that aren't being engaged properly.
>>
>>1107616

Has a capacitor. i replaced both wires running to it.

One looked ok but i changed it out anyways. the other had a lot of cracks and breaks in the line with bare metal exposed and some of the old wire broken.

I can take solder well enough to take old wires off and put new wires onto things but thats the extent of my know how with electronics.

Could the shoddy wire to the capacitor i replaced been the source of the issue?

Like i said its running fine now.
>>
>>1107594
>i could turn it by hand without a load on it. but when i pluged it in it would not budge

Sounds like bad bearing (bushing) or poor alignment.
When power is applied the winding pulls the rotor against the stator laminations and the magnetic field holds it there.
Test for side-play in the shaft.
Take it back apart and look for evidence of contact between rotor and stator metal.
>>
>>1107715
Start caps fail. Do you have a multimeter? Check the fucker. Plenty of videos on YouTube. All the ones I could find on short notice were long winded as fuck. It's a super simple procedure. It is likely that the cap was on its last legs, worked a few times, and then died. Happens all the time.
>>
>>1106860
>motor hums, no movement or reduced torque, or smells hot quickly or popping noise them just hums

Usually capacitor, rarely a shorted winding.

>motor won't turn on or runs but smells hot quickly

Motor isn't grounded properly and/or centrifugal switch isn't engaging and the starter coil is overheating.
>>
>>1106860
It's misaligned bearings.

When the fields turn on, there is enough bearing play to pull the stator to one side and seize it to the side, I've seen it very often.

If it ran fine before disassembly, loosen all of the bolts holding the rear and front face of the motor together. Try moving it around and retighten it until it runs good and there is no sign of bearing stress. Also, don't over torque the nuts.

It is not the starting method of the motor, don't dick around with that.
>>
File: Untitled.png (24KB, 835x840px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
24KB, 835x840px
>>1106860
>>1107798
>>
>>1107798
>When the fields turn on, there is enough bearing play to pull the stator to one side and seize it to the side

I think you mean the rotor is pulled to one side as I said here >>1107723
>When power is applied the winding pulls the rotor against the stator laminations and the magnetic field holds it there.

The field is the stator in this motor.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.