[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you /diy/ aluminum sheets? Do you need rollers or can you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

Can you /diy/ aluminum sheets?

Do you need rollers or can you cast it?

Does cast aluminum have the same strength as rolled?
>>
>>1106707
>cast
beware the bubbles. gove up on this.
>strength
rolling is stronger, atleast that would be logical.
>>
>>1106707
yeah you can cast a sheet you can, 99.9% chance you fuck it up an you will fuck it up
its bether to make a block and roll it to needet size, its imposible to cast perfect sheets of metal just buy it or get it somwhere
>>
>>1106718

>bubbles

From what? Not getting the aluminum hot enough?

>>1106727

>buy aluminum and roll it myself

If I have to buy rollers I might as well make a furnace and roll my own sheets.

And then I might as well throw recycled cans into the furnace instead of buying aluminum.
>>
Honesty I'm used to thinking in terms of steel

Steel heat, steel grain, can't cast steel, etc

But aluminum is different and almost all of commercial aluminum products are made from aluminum sheets
I just don't know about aluminum casts
>>
>>1106732
Too hot and you generate bubbles, defending how you cast the leidenfrost effect could be a factor
>>
I doubt you could make it cheaper than you could buy it
>>
>>1106757

What about pressure forging?

Squeeze slag out and make plates
>>
>>1106757

I'm in a position where aluminum cans are everywhere.

I've got a dream involving sheet aluminum.

So that is why I made this thread
>>
>>1106707
Aluminum fag here. No, no you can't.

Just buy it, it's not expensive.
>>
>>1106875
from what I've seen about things involving using cans, the short answer would be no

any product you would get would likely be pretty low quality
>>
>>1106880
google cold rolled steel

apply theory to alumimiminum

great suckcess
>>
>>1106882
the processing is not the problem

aluminum cans are not going to yield a very good result considering the composition
>>
>>1106707
cast ingot
Roll
Heat threat to O state
roll again
Repeat until reaching desired thinckness
>>
>>1106898

Explain pls
>>
>buy aluminum foil from grocery store
>cut into sheets
>glue sheets together until you have desired thickness

Wa la!
>>
I have the same dream op, shouldn't be too hard if you scale it down.

https://youtu.be/f4OTj9yNOak 3:45
>>
>>1106910
Just use a roller to reduce the thickness 20 percent each pass. When material hardens due cold working, heat threat to soften it again. Then keep rolling it till you reach desired thickness.
A roller is a good investment if you have a lot of aluminum
>>
>>1106732
Any liquid in contact with a gas will move their partial pressures towards equilibrium. Your aluminium will suck in gas and as it solidifies the gas will fall out of it, creating bubbles.
In a steel factory they put a gas tight lid on the crucible with the molten steel in it. Then one can control the amounts of gasses in the steel to keep it's properties correct. And then it is cast and rolled to beams. Or whatever, depending on the factory.
One should assume that there is a similar exchange of gasses in the aluminium casting process and do some research. I'd say that the zero hypothesis would be "there is similar gas exchange in molten Al as there is in molten Fe".
>>
>>1106750

OK...

Assuming I don't BOIL the aluminum, will cast sheets be as strong as rolled sheets?
>>
>>1106732
no, retard, buy finished sheets
>>
>>1106944
>In a steel factory they put a gas tight lid on the crucible with the molten steel in it

Hard to believe that, source?
>>
>>1106945
No.
>>
>>1106945
Not even close. DIY casting would introduce impurities that are removed in the processing of rolled aluminum, and the rolling itself work-hardens and strengthens the metal. And that's assuming the same alloy. The alloys used in cans (different ones for the top and bottom/sides) are not as suited to structural use in sheets as the alloys actually used in sheets.
>>
>>1106875
>I'm in a position where aluminum cans are everywhere
Sell cans use money to buy aluminum sheet
>>
>>1106965

http://www.gdnash.com/steeldegas/
>>
>>1106965
>>1106985

In the process mentioned in the link they seem to have a separate chamber for the vacuum treatment.
In the only steel factory I have been they had this lid thingie. I have some memory if controlled oxygen in the chamber but can't recall. They made this special steel that is easy to machine in that factory and it was crucial to this process to control the size of some kind of deposits in it. It was a while ago and can't really remember.
>>
>>1106943
The secret for a good, defect free, cast bar or ingot is rapid cooling.
Molds are water cooled so the metal solidifies from bottom to top, and sides to center. This allows the impurities to float to the surface and the grain of the metal compacts in the bar shape, giving you no bubbles and no defects.
If done correctly after you fill the mold you will see that the metal "sucks itself" and leave a cone in the top. You can see it in the video that other anon published here
>>
>>1106875
>I've got a dream involving sheet aluminum.

Good. Now study sheet aluminum grades, manufacturing and use cases for different alloys.

If you try to make it yourself it won't work, and aluminum is cheap. You have your dream but it must be a very recent dream for you to have skipped Google and gone straight to a spoonfeed thread.

Many people crave to recycle then never built anything because their autistic resentment of an intelligent MIX of buy and make wrecks their decision-making skills.

Of course OPs dream is a secret so no one can give skilled advice on how to build his dream because 4chan mongoloid posting custom requires interrogating mongoloids too lazy to post details.

You could read then heed the fucking sticky.
>>
File: 63274238.jpg (194KB, 500x598px) Image search: [Google]
63274238.jpg
194KB, 500x598px
>>1106923
I'm going to kill you and then myself.
>>
OP here

Basically I'm poor as fuck but have a dream and I need to cut costs insanely to make it happen.

I have tons of free time but very little cash.

So I know metal shops buy rolls and cut them for you, or they resell sheets.

What kind of markup is there?

Would I save a ridiculous amount by buying rolls and cutting them myself?
>>
>>1106985
You can't "air tight" a furnace chamber you numb nuts. The steel is meted from ore or scrap in big furnaces. Then the molten steel is refined and chemically modify to order in smaller furnaces or ladles injecting argon from the bottom to removed impurities and it also makes a layer of gas on top of the molten steel to keep the gas the cause bubbles out.
>>
>>1107572
Also, it doesn't take a genius to come up with all kinds of problems that you could run into trying to make diy aluminum sheets
>>
>>1107575

I'm poor.

Would it be cheaper to buy entire rolls of aluminum and cut it myself?
>>
>>1107605
no you dumb fuck how you going to handle a 5000lbs roll of aluminum?
>>
So, what's this "dream" you're on about?
>>
>>1106707

Except for specific casting alloys, no, you can't just make sheets. The rolling is part of the forging process; it's not just forming, in most cases.

Casting sheets, in particular, is also a pain in the ass, because it's difficult to get uniform thickness, prevent warping, and deal with the host of issues inherent to casting in general.
>>
>>1106707
Do you need aluminium? I know a few people who believed ali was cheaper than steel because its lighter thinner shitter. So do you actually need aluminum or just cheap shit metal?
Go to a scrap yard and buy offcuts close to cost.
If you don't have money building a fucking refinery is pretty much the definition of retarded. What next? Oh diy I need a loaf of bread but I can't afford it, how can I build a tractor to grow grain? I'll be back next week for windmill plans. Grow a fucking brain.
You have more chance just fucking begging for the money than all this cloak and dagger secret project shite. Here is a pro tip op, the reason you don't want to tell anyone what the project is is because you know in your heart it's doomed to fail and you don't want to commit to other people and let them down. Free psychology you don't get that every day but you said you were poor and i feel sorry for you so no charge consider it a new year gift.
>>
>>1107610

No idea.

>>1107612

I really really really hate moving. Lose all my friends, leave everything I know, go into a scary new place that's totally different with different rules and such, so..

I wanna build a trailer able pop up camper, boat, etc.

That way I'll at least always have the comfort of the same home and won't have to pack.
>>
File: 1452293681999.jpg (43KB, 570x587px) Image search: [Google]
1452293681999.jpg
43KB, 570x587px
>>1107630
>>
>>1107631

If you're the type that loves moving, you've never lived somewhere you were happy.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.