[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've made a shitty earbud repair like pic related. Would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: 55-23512-08___spliced[1].jpg (15KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
55-23512-08___spliced[1].jpg
15KB, 600x398px
I've made a shitty earbud repair like pic related. Would it be a good idea to melt some plastic and dip the ends in it to "encase" the joints? What kind of plastic do you think would work best? I'm thinking bottle caps

I've done this repair before with just tape around the joints and after a few months it starts loosing connection and needs to be redone.

I don't have solder or shrinktubes, and I'm not getting it for 10$ earbuds.
>>
>>1106631
Why don't you just get a new pair, it's $10.
>>
>>1106635
Because I can fix these for free in 20 minutes and the new ones will break in 6-12 months anyways
>>
>>1106640
Plastics don't melt they burn.

You are thinking of silicone i.e. in bathrooms etc.
>>
Do this and cover with tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPrwUVEUPfc
>>
>>1106631
>and I'm not getting it for 10$ earbuds.

>I've done this repair before

You are fucking stupid arent you?
If you would have spent the less than 10$ for an iron, solder, and shrinkwrap at walmart in the first place, you wouldnt be in this predicament. And since you seem to love cheap heaphones, youll be in this same exact spot a few months from now.
>>
File: 220px-Western_Union_splice.jpg (13KB, 220x391px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Western_Union_splice.jpg
13KB, 220x391px
>not using lineman's splice
There's your problem right there.
Do this when you solder, wrap in electrical tape.
>>
>>1106642
>Plastics don't melt
What do people like you even do on /diy/?
>>1106659
Well, now I'm already done with the molten plastic thing, and it cost me 0$ and took less time than even driving to walmart.
>predicament
It's not a predicament it's a shitty 20 minute fix while I watch TV. If I was actually bothered by this i would obviously buy earbuds with replaceable cables instead retard
>>
>>1106656
>>1106670
>earbud wires
You guys are basically recommending cutting a toothpick in half with an angle grinder
>>
>>1106671
>What do people like you even do on /diy/?

The real question is, what do people like YOU do on /diy/?
You nigger rig some shit instead of buying the proper (and cheap) tools that you can fix anything with. Not just your cheap garbage headphones.

The only person out of place and being retarded is you.
>>
File: Untitled.png (8KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
8KB, 500x400px
you should keep some plasti-dip or liquid leccy tape in the house, would be good for this repair and many other things throughout the year. it's good schidt!

Also heat shrink tubing costs pennies so at *some point* in your life your oughta get some.

But because you don't have any of this shit I suggest twist ties and tape.
>>
>>1106675
The thickness of the wire has absolutely nothing to do with the structural integrity of the splice.
They are trying to help you out. If you dont want to properly secure it with solder, you could at least put effort into making a strong mechanical connection.

I am scared to see what other type of /diy/ work youve done
>>
>>1106678
>Also heat shrink tubing costs pennies so at *some point* in your life your oughta get some.

Why?
He has a surplus of mountain dew bottle caps to melt onto his projects!
>>
>>1106676
At least I have literally grade school level knowledge about plastics.
>>1106679
>structural integrity
If you try to cut a toothpick in half with an angle grinder "structural integrity" isn't the problem.
>I am scared to see what other type of /diy/ work youve done
When I was really new to /diy/ stuff I would have taken a shitty earbud repair seriously too. Then you re-wire your house and you just don't care about doing earbuds like an autist any more
>>
>>1106689
Where the hell are you getting this toothpick and angle grinder idea from? Nobody is suggest you carve anything.
You strip the wire, linesman splice, e-tape the sucker, and you're done.
>>
>>1106693
Its a very very poor analogy of saying that his wires dont need a strong splice because they are earbuds.
Then again he also believes that melting a bottlecap onto them is an acceptable solution. Why would you question someone so far gone?

>>1106689
>When I was really new to /diy/ stuff I would have taken a shitty earbud repair seriously too

Your experience and wealth of knowledge shows.
>>
>>1106693
Because a linesman requires a certain thickness of the wire to work properly obviously.
>>1106694
Trust me, once you start doing "real" stuff, you're gonna start half-assing the stuff that doesn't matter.
Ask your car mechanic how he fixes his own car. Sounds like you'd be really surprised.
>>
>>1106697
>Because a linesman requires a certain thickness of the wire to work properly obviously.

Its funny you talk about "properly" anything.
Binding the wires in a way such as the linesman knot would work amazing for you because of how you are rigging your wires you retard
Melting plastic onto it is a really shit idea, but you at least have a chance of it not failing 10 minutes later of you overwrap the fuck out of it like that.

>Trust me, once you start doing "real" stuff, you're gonna start half-assing the stuff that doesn't matter.

Absolutely
Once you start getting into "real" work, you do twice the amount of work with the wrong tools and the wrong materials for some arbitrary reason.

>Ask your car mechanic how he fixes his own car. Sounds like you'd be really surprised.

Kek
Who takes their car to a mechanic?
You think anyone who actually works on cars half asses things? Its all about basic maintenance and knowing when things can be left go and when things truly need replaced.

You are digging yourself into this "im clueless" hole that you cant dig yourself out of.
>>
>>1106701
>the linesman knot would work amazing for you
>still 10$ earbud wires
lel
>twice the amount of work
see >>1106640 >>1106671
>You think anyone who actually works on cars half asses things
My first job was in a car shop. We also built trailers. Customer jobs are of course done properly by the book. I told you to ask a mechanic how he fixes his OWN car, dummy. I.E. how I fix my own shitty earbuds that I don't even care about
>>
>>1106711
>>still 10$ earbud wires

So doing no extra work during the repair to make it last twice as long is somehow a dumb thing to do?

Oh I forgot, you like to "half ass" things when you dont deem the repair worthy. Yet you actually waste time repairing it in the first place and get undesirable results.

Your logic is astounding.

>My first job was in a car shop
You worked in a "car shop" but you dont own a soldering iron?
Very interesting.

Someone who is a mechanic and an electrician who doesnt own a tool so cheap and essential to both of those jobs.

Also id like to hear about this "half assed" work a mechanic does.
It only looks like "half assed" work to people who dont know shit about cars. Like I said, its about being able to diagnose and know what needs replaced when.

Then again there are actually retards who rig everything up. You keep your rusty exhaust hanging up with chains?
Those are the toothless methhead shadetree mechanics who follow the same logic you do.

Dont value your time and do a poor repair several times.
Im guessing you grew up and learned this work ethic from your poor father?

You may have convinced yourself this was a cool and great way to repair something, but nobody else on the board thinks this. Its something a 13 year old would do and feel proud of.
As long as you are deluded its all ok though
>>
>>1106717
>make it last twice as long
I've been saying a linesman doesn't work for wire this thin like three times now.
>Someone who is a mechanic and an electrician
Don't know why you think that.
>doesnt own a tool so cheap and essential to both of those jobs.
Have you ever had a job? Why would I have a walmart soldering iron at home when I have professional grade tools at work?
>Also id like to hear about this "half assed" work a mechanic does.
Well, for example the guy I was an apprentice under had two loose wires hanging from his lock, rigged so that you can short a 9v battery against them to thaw a frozen lock in seconds. Rusty fenders with the rust cut out and replaced with pieces of whatever body panels/sheet metal was in the recycling that day.
>Dont value your time
see >>1106640 >>1106671 for a third time.
>the rest of it
You're getting awfully emotional about an earbud splice. Like I said. I took everything seriously when I was new to DIY too. This isn't just DIY, anyone with any kind of job tends to be really unenthusiastic about it when they're at home. It's funny that you live in this imagination that having a hobby and a job is the same thing.
>>
>>1106631
Do it properly. Solder and heatshrink. Anything else is amateurish and a waste of time.
>>
>>1106734
>I've been saying a linesman doesn't work for wire this thin like three times now.

Too bad its absolutely not true. Its almost like youve never worked with wiring anything before.

>Don't know why you think that.
Oh I absolutely dont think that at all, its just what you have been implying as justification for your work

>Have you ever had a job?
Do you skills stay at work?
When you suddenly know how to work on something do you refuse to do it at home?

>You're getting awfully emotional about an earbud splice.

Not really, just sort of dumbfounded at you. Its pretty entertaining to hear you go down these rabbit holes.

> Like I said. I took everything seriously when I was new to DIY too.

Youve done nothing but project this image of being very young and new to any sort of /diy/ work

> This isn't just DIY, anyone with any kind of job tends to be really unenthusiastic about it when they're at home

Of course
Most people will buy new earbuds instead of fucking around with shit ones. But if they have the skills to do it themselves they may deem it worthy to fix them.

> It's funny that you live in this imagination that having a hobby and a job is the same thing.

I find it funny you imply that you have all this experience, yet as soon as you come home you would throw it all out of the window.
Your experience and skill stays at work. You shit on these "cheap earbuds" over and over , you are so unenthusiastic about them because of work. Yet you still end up fucking around with them.

Im guessing this thread didnt go as planned. Did you expect people to be impressed with your brilliance?
>>
>>1106734
You're obviously pretty enthused about your purposefully shitty earbud fix seeing as you made an entire thread pretending to ask for advice. We can tell you only wanted to show off your amazing knowledge of melting mountain dew bottle caps and how DIY xD you are.
>>
>>1106740
>Its almost like youve never worked with wiring anything before.
lol irony
>what you have been implying
no
>Do you skills stay at work?
no, but the tools do retard
>Yet you still end up fucking around with them.
because it was the least effort retard see >>1106640 >>1106671 for a fourth time
>Did you expect people to be impressed with your brilliance?
I was mainly wondering if someone had any recommendations for plastics. I don't know why anyone would make threads on 4chan of all places to impress people, but hey maybe that's your thing.
>>1106741
see above
>>
>OP makes fake thread on simpleton-tier issue
>Tried flexing intelligence and acts as if everyone else is inferior
>>1106631
When you get out of highschool you're going to hate your previous
self so much bud.
>>
>>1106742
>no, but the tools do retard

In the USA, you have to buy your own tools to work
But seeing how you have never worked you wouldnt know this
>>
File: flat,800x800,070,f[1].jpg (70KB, 800x610px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,070,f[1].jpg
70KB, 800x610px
>>1106749
>mentiones that it's only in the USA (and third world countries I'd imagine)
>still thinks it has to apply to everyone
>>
>>1106678
>heat shrink tubing
that should have been a no brainer
>>
>>1106749
>>1106751
And of course even if I did by tools for work, they stay at work retard. That was the entire point.
>>
>>1106742
>>what you have been implying
>no
You absolutely have been implying you're some super pro that's good enough to halfass things out of work. Any decent professional upholds himself to a high personal standard of work and this generally carries into life outside of work because it is a personality trait.

>Trust me, once you start doing "real" stuff, you're gonna start half-assing the stuff that doesn't matter.
>My first job was in a car shop. We also built trailers.
>Well, for example the guy I was an apprentice under
>Then you re-wire your house and you just don't care about doing earbuds like an autist any more

Nope, you absolutely didn't imply that you were a mechanic and electrician.

btw please post your melted bottle cap abomination so we can make fun of it while you continue to justify it
>>
>>1106751
>>still thinks it has to apply to everyone

Well you did use $USD and Talk about Walmart (which is only under the walmart name in USA and Canada)
Not that hard to figure out.

>>1106756
>And of course even if I did by tools for work, they stay at work retard

This nigga has REALLY never worked before.
Your tools grow feet when you leave them at work
>>
>>1106756
If I ever bought a tool with my own money as an employee, it would most definitely come home with me. It's a different matter if it's with company assets, then the tool is owned by the company and stays at work.

If you have all the fancy tools at work, why don't you just wait it out a day, take it into work the next day and do a proper fix that will last forever. This is the second time you've attempted to fix your shitty $10 earbuds.
>>
>>1106761
>This nigga has REALLY never worked before.
Nah, he's just never owned tools before.
>>
>>1106742
>I was mainly wondering if someone had any recommendations for plastics
I would recommend a dark bottle cap such as Coca-Cola Zero because the black would hide any burn marks. A lighter color such as white, yellow, blue, or red would show burn marks easier. Plus darker colors will melt faster.

hope this helps ;^)
>>
>>1106766
Whats the type of plastic that heatshrink tubing is made out of?
I would recommend that stuff
>>
>>1106631
I solder them then use hot glue, if I don't have any heat shrink tubing. If you must use plastic, any plastic will work but some are easier to melt than others.
>>
>>1106767
that's polyolefin my friend

it's a very good recommendation

I would also suggest getting it in sleeve form, with an inner diameter just greater than the earbud insulation. Polyolefin resin pellets are rather finicky to deal with ;^)
>>
>>1106769
>soldering iron
>hot glue gun

Hey hey Rich Uncle Pennybags, stop flaunting how rich you are.
Some of us cant afford these things
>>
>>1106758
>btw please post your melted bottle cap abomination so we can make fun of it while you continue to justify it
Not possible. My camera is at my professional photo studio.
>>
>>1106769
my hot glue gun is at work retard
>>
File: bottle cap splice.gif (10KB, 465x233px) Image search: [Google]
bottle cap splice.gif
10KB, 465x233px
this is actually a pretty solid way to make a splice for a noob with no tools: 2 bottle caps, something to drill or burn a hole, fill it with hot glue, and press together for 30 secs.
>>
>>1106776
>calling OP a noob

Read the thread, this is an experienced and cultured man.
He was asking a scientific plastic question.
>>
Just get some heat shrink butt connectors..or even better, put an eyelit on one end and screw on the other and wingnut those bitches together
>>
All you need to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmeubmXyTug
Also putting some paracord around the wires will make them extra reinforced.
>>
>>1106736
While this fix isn't a waste of time for decent earbuds it's definitely amateurish. Best practice would be to completely replace the cable and jack. I've yet to find decent cheap Y cables with a TR(R?)S connector though.
>>
>>1106631
Use some fucking butt splices Jesus Christ... melted bottle caps?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.