[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to replace the mini usb port on my Wii U pro controller

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
I want to replace the mini usb port on my Wii U pro controller with a micro usb port so I can more easily charge it. The mini usb port is power only since the controller is fully wireless and just uses the port for charging. Is this a feasible? I figure I'd have to solder the micro usb port in and then the power delivery pins. This would be my first diy related project, along with this being my first time on this board. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Pic related is the port on the inside of the controller. Don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd include it just in case.
>>
File: 2.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
Here's a picture of the back of the port in case it's needed.
>>
Have you ever soldered before? It might be a little tricky. The holes on the circuit board probably won't fit another kind of port, and you'll probably have to modify the case too.

If it's only power than the electrical bit shouldn't be that tough; only two connections you need to care about. The problem will be that if you attach the new port with small wires or something to get around the footprint difference, you'll have a lot of trouble securing it so that you can plug something in.

Idk actually if micro and mini-usb necessarily have different footprints (same pinout ofc). If they're the same it should be very straightforward. If not, this might not be worth the time.
>>
Might be easier to piggyback the micro usb ontop of the existing port
That way you have the option of charging it with the original cable or with a micro
Will have to carve a little grove on the case though
>>
Thank me never.
>>
>>1106511
Here is (You)r dotted line you piece of shit.
>>
>>1106533
Why go full retard? His solution is best and easiest

To OP, you have no skill no knowledge no experience no tools to do the soldering and modding job, you can't, don't be a nigger and get one of these >>1106511
>>
>>1106324
you could use one of those UV plastic soldering things to build up the case plastic around the port
>>
>>1106115
You cannot be serious. Im supposed to assess if its possible with that tiny image?
Youll probably need to drill some of the plastic away if the new port doesnt fit in the case because different shape. Furthermore it looks like its only using three pins that Id guess were power ground and D+ but your tiny ass image makes it hard for me to really tell you something that wont fry your controller. Essentially just resolder the connections you see.
>>
>>1107009
That's still a 5 pin mini usb connector. 3 pins are on top and 2 are tucked underneath. I can't think of any reason to use just the D+ for charging. They might have both D+ and D- both tied to voltage dividers similar to an ios charger. They may also use the ID line. In USB OTG devices it's common to tie it to ground.
>>
>>1106511
IKR? Talk about doing things the pointless way
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.