[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY home security system. Interested in cost-effective surveillance.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 1471466432138.jpg (388KB, 1260x1621px) Image search: [Google]
1471466432138.jpg
388KB, 1260x1621px
DIY home security system. Interested in cost-effective surveillance. Is it possible for under $500? Single country bungalow with one floor..
>>
>>1106113
any of the basic dvr systems from amazon.
>>
>>1106123
Cameras are good for nothing. Burglars wear masks and that's it for your security system. OP, what you need is a motion detecting system that emits a deafening alarm and sends a text to you. Easily and cheaply done even with arduinos.
>>
>>1106113
the dog is pretty effective
>>
Surveillance is useless.

Most bang for your buck.

1. Make them think someone is home.
2. Get a dog.
3. Start a neighborhood watch
4. Don't give them anywhere to hide to case your place
5. Make your doors hard to kick in
6. Fake a security system
>>
>>1106113
Yes. DX.com
Network cameras

Any site that sells reed switches for doors, 10$ tops

An Arduino to set off an alarm sound if switch is disconnected

Generally a really good door lock will keep people out, but glass break sensors are good to have. Easily within budget.
>>
Private-eye pi. Gotta use that raspberry pi for something right.
:^)
>>
>>1106262
No network cameras. People like me use those as security vulnerabilities to break into your networks and watch you masturbate. They're pretty much all vulnerable in some way.
>>
I've been wanting to put in a security system too, but like >>1106158 said, as soon as they wear a mask it's useless as heck. Although, I still think it'd be a good idea so you have at least some deets on their height and maybe their getaway vehicle type.

How expensive and involved would it be to set up some cameras outside so I'm able to turn on a "wifi switch" when I'm away from home, but have it turned off and still be able to view it locally when I'm at home? What would I have to buy and set up?

In addition, what I've been wondering, but want to be sure of since I've heard you're not allowed to do this from what I've understood -- what if you electrified entrance points or something? Like, maybe if there's an attempt at a forced entry after a certain amount of pressure is applied it'll be a nice painful jolt to whoever's breaking in, and if that's too complicated, a steady flow of electricity that I'd be able to shut off and turn on whenever?
>>
>>1106113
Arduino to set off alarms when doors and windows are opened.
Gun, for de-burgaling.
>>
>>1106302
Do you mind elaborating? I have a few Trendnet IP cameras on my property and I'm worried about exactly this.
To protect against it, I have my cameras on an isolated network. They communicate only with my server, and only the server has a route to the internet.
How do you usually exploit these network cameras?
>>
>>1106531
Most network cameras are running off of whitelabel boards from shitty chinese manufacturers that build in backdoors and never update known security holes. Lately this has been used to make fuck off massive botnets, like the one used to take down dyn a couple weeks back.
Sources:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/hacked-cameras-dvrs-powered-todays-massive-internet-outage/
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/12/researchers-find-fresh-fodder-for-iot-attack-cannons/
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/iot-device-maker-vows-product-recall-legal-action-against-western-accusers/
>>
>>1106113
OP you should set up a remote smoke machine so you can smoke them out.
>>
>>1106599
I second this
>>
>>1106563

Firewall them and only allow access through a VPN, problem solved.
>>
Avoid any of the Nest products and anything that uses wifi.
>>
>>1106313
That's considered booby trapping and is a felony.

If youever have a house fire, you can enjoy the view of the firemen just standing outside your door doing nothing because your fuckin' door shocks people.
>>
>>1106113

If you really want to secure your shit:

-replace your hinge and strike plate screws with 3" screws
-install security film on your windows
-install wide strike plates and reinforced hinges on your doors
-buy those cheap alarms for your doors and windows that alert you when they're opened
-motion sensor lights round your doors and windows
-alarm company and beware of dog signs

The best you can do is to delay entry while making the burglar think the police are coming. Most home burglars are junkies looking for an easy score. The last thing they want is to think the police are coming when they haven't even made it into the house yet. They'll run away and look for a softer target.

You can do the above for 200 dollars at most. Honestly, if you're really worried, pay the alarmjew and do the reinforcements I listed above. $20 dollars a month isn't much for piece of mind.
>>
>>1106302
>network cameras
>immediately means you have to connect to the internet

Dumbass
>>
>>1106113
build a motion detecting system that would blare 200db 2000hz noise all over your house with many 100w LED floodlights blinking in every room in your house while also cut any regular lights. Also it would run on battery bank hidden in your attic.

for the extra, it would text you, your mother, your neighbors, your mayor, your local tranny, and the police.
>>
>>1107464

Thanks for the new pi project idea.
>>
>Ctrl-f Dog, 3 found

Get a dog. If you get the right dog then you wont need "beware of dog"signs which burglers will laugh at anyways. If you have the right dog, you dont need a sign because as soon as a thief shows up he will KNOW you have a big fucking dog and go try someplace safer.
>>
>>1106531
Trendnet are awful, in terms of security track-record. IIRC they don't even need authentication if you know the correct web address. Just search shodan if you want to see how secure internet-enabled ip cameras with web interfaces are. A scan with nmap and nikto will usually give you everything you need to spy on someone. Additionally, cover your webcam. Chances are you have an active 0day on your computer and won't hear about it until years later, when the cow has been milked and the exploit is disclosed by the community. Hell, even cellphones go years with RCE vulns (stagefreight) and the only way to be certain you're not impacted is to have logging on all network traffic in every network you encounter, but I digress...There is a relatively large community of people that make it their business to hack into these computers and record people getting naked, masturbating, fucking, or just doing weird shit. Some models even allow you to put in your email address and password to upload your images and video whenever there's motion detection, and everything is stored in plaintext. Also network keys, so if you flash custom firmware you can set up processes that can intercept unencrypted network traffic, probably log into the router, set custom certs, decrypt ssl, etc. It's not a small vulnerability.

>>1107444
Has it right, though. As long as they're on an isolated intranet, you're good.
>>
>>1106113
Here's a good quality 8-zone panel for just $85 on Amazon. A compatible keypad is $60, then you can fit 8 devices like door contacts, motion detectors, and glass breaks for around $20-$50 each, and then a siren would be $20. Professionals will charge you thousands to install this (though they would get it monitored - I have doubt that a monitoring company would monitor a system installed by an amateur).

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Security-Controls-PC1832NK-CONTROL/dp/B003S1PT4A
>>
>large dog
>firearm

Be aware that the dog is likely to require significant expenses worth of food and medical care.
>>
Tripwires attached to a net thatll catch them like in movies
While not legal, same system but a gun
>>
>>1107745
I do tape my webcam, always have.
The trendnet cameras (IP310) have authentication, but the only way it can be changed from admin:admin is to use their own software, not the web interface. It sucks, but I already had the cameras by the time I discovered it.
That's part of the reason I put them on an isolated network.
It's my understanding that many Trendnet products are rebranded Hikvision, with different firmware. Maybe the Hikvision software is better.
>>
>>1106113
250 fake security cameras for $2
>>
>>1106113
Just tie a bucket of KFC to a lever that sounds an alarm. Alternatively a watermelon will work.
>>
>>1106113
If I were going DIY I'd do the following:
- Buy a gun
- Move to a state where you can shoot trespassers
- Make jokes about most bang for your buck

Or do what these other anons said:
- get fake cameras, real ones are somewhat worthless
- Get beware of dog signs, and fake "protected by etc.." signs
- Reinforce your doors
- Magnetic switches on entry points
- additionally what >>1107464 said

Most times the illusion of security is a deterrent because there's literally hundreds of other houses where they don't have to take that risk.
>>
File: pcc30hp-1-190.png (75KB, 190x290px) Image search: [Google]
pcc30hp-1-190.png
75KB, 190x290px
>>1107464
This is an ultrasonic pain field generator. Welcome to the future anon.
Amazing1 is a mad scientists dream toy box.
>>
>>1107767

Yeah but their hearing is second to none. They're also light sleepers and far more intimidating than a human (short of a human owning a gun).

The correct answer, and by extension the correct answer for OP, is a multilayered approach. A dog and firearms. The dog buys you time to grab your shit and take aim. The dogs gonna wake your ass up and is more apt to go from sleep to full out fight far faster than you ever will.

The autist that discussed reinforcing the strike and hinges and all that shit was spot on.

t. physical security consultant
>>
>>1106258
This, exactly. Good neighbors. Don't have any, make some or move.
>>
>>1108326
Exactly.

Old neighbors are the best because they're home all day and are nosy as fuck.

Also a gun does fuck-all to prevent a burglary, people. Again, the #1 best prevention against burglary is being home. Some nignog or crack head isn't going to risk an armed invasion because the chances of being caught go up by a huge amount.

Sure a gun is a comfort item to have, were an armed home invasion to take place, but it does fuck-all if you're not home to use it other than give Jamal something to rob Subway with or to sell.

I'm not saying you shouldn't own a gun, but thinking it will ever help you not be burglarized is stupid.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.