[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /diy/nos, i got some HDD's lying around, and i wanted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: usedrackserver.jpg (202KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
usedrackserver.jpg
202KB, 800x600px
Hello /diy/nos,

i got some HDD's lying around, and i wanted to build a rack, wire them together and connect it to my PC over a patchcable.

But how to wire them together?
The rack ain't no problem, but the wiring of the HDD's.

Thanks in advance!
>>
mr. trump, give me a bump
>>
>>1106027
that doesn't exist, you need to build a server to do that, you can buy the components separately, even if you build the rack by yourself
>>
>>1106048

so there is no possibility of creating a "cluster" without any server?
>>
You're better off going to /g/.
>>
>>1106050
the only way you could do that is but using a fuckton of sata cables, but it's way too hard

I really recommend you to search about what you want to do:

NAS

server

hard drive

motherboard

sata
>>
>>1106052

Yeah the NAS was my first idea, but all in all i just wanted to combine the diskspace of the HDD's.

Seems like i have no choice.

But thanks anyways!
>>
>>1106027
Wire them in parallel with SATA cables and run them as one large HDD.
May require proper formatting.
>>
SAS expander. Only one external cable to expander chassis. You can get HP expander chassis for $100 on ebay, 12 3.5 slot each (or 24 2.5").
>>
File: MBI.jpg (2MB, 2284x3636px) Image search: [Google]
MBI.jpg
2MB, 2284x3636px
>>1106027
I have some memory cards lying about. Can I built a SSD with them?
>>
>>1106104
This works.
But realistically if your HDDs are old or have limited size it's not really cost effective. Plus the power supply..
>>
>>1106027
Modern hard drives don't work like that. You can't just wire them up externally, without a bunch of extra hardware. There are external disk arrays, but the parts cost a fortune, even used. Your best bet is one of the cheap sheet metal rack cases, a lack table, and whatever bargain basement or reused mobo and CPU you can get.

Even a hot swap bay costs more than those cases. They are cheap shit. Don't spend more than $80

A setup like that with freenas/nas4free should uou
>>
>>1106054
You can combine the space with RAID 0
>>
>>1108244
You can...but it's not a good idea. Hard drives have something like a 2% chance of failing every year, and if you're looking at a group of hard drives, the odds of one of them failing in any given year gets significant. With a RAID 0 setup, if any of the drives fails, the whole thing is lost. So RAID 0 is really living on the edge. RAID 5 is my personal RAIDfu, as it can survive the failure of one disk while distributing the parity load across all disks.

OP: it sounds like you're looking for a RAID enclosure
>>
>>1106381
dont _need_ a hot swap bay, or a bunch of extra hardware - drivebay make life admittedly easier tho. He said, rack aint the problem, just the wiring - get a multi-channel SATA/RAID card (eg 4 channel ca $20 to 40 channel ca. $500) - rest is just a mess of SATA, power cables and screwing the drives to something.

Thats asuming, they are SATA drives - IDE or sub 320GB SCSI or some shit, it aint worth the bother. As others have said, when you get 8TB drives for a few hundred dollars, stringing 32 x 250 GB drives together just for the sake of the same storage space, its not especially economical (power costs) or sensible. Multi bay hot swap drive racks are 10 x fuck more expensive than simple USB drivecase in terms of TB storage costs, the advantage is in redundancy (RAID), ease of swapping, etc.

If it was 8 x 500GB SATA drives otherwise spare for example, easiest/cheapest, split them over a couple of HP Microservers (4 bay NAS/lo-power PC) - about $100 apiece, tidy, lo-juice usage. Anything smaller capacity (sub 500GB), prob. aint worth the hassle.
>>
I doubt you have more sata ports than there are harddrive slots in a full-atx case, but nas is really the best way to go. Use freenas and make a zfs pool.

>>1108244
Raid 0 shouldn't be used for that purpose since first you multiple the chances for failure by the number of drives and second all raid0 partitions must be the same size so it limits your volume to the size of the smallest drive multiplied vy the number of drives. spanned volume is safer.
>>
>>1106104
>Buy $100 chassis
>Need $1000 raid controller for it to be useful
>>
>>1106051
>You're better off going to /g/

This. It's as if people don't know computer forums exist.
>>
>>1108938
Its not a video card question, or a question about what phone to buy. It has no place on /g/
>>
>>1106027
This is why I loved SCSI back in the day. You can make SCSI HDD Racks all day long. You can do the same with IDE Drives back in the day but you were limited.

With SATA drives, I haven't found anything worth to diy.You can make a shitty USB Hub to USB to SATA setup, but it sucks. There are better DIY setups but you are going to spend a bit on it.
>>
>>1108922
>$1000

Wat? I got my LSI controller for like £80. There's no need to be aad anon.
>>
>>1106027
what you are describing, disks without a server is called "SAN"
you can buy second hand san enclosure that will show up on your computer as a drive.
usually they connect together with fibre and so most of the enclosures will be setup like that. good fucking luck.
SAS is essentially SCSI SATA and its ok.
of course its expensive its all very expensive
hth

oh, yeah, if you aren't running at a minimum raid6 hardware computed arrays mirrored on redundant systems at multiple locations then you are a gaylord.
raid is not a substitute for backup.
>>
>>1108938
Nigger I have a NAS question up in their sqt right now and it has had nothing but shitposts in response. The talent left when the gaymur kids arrived.
>>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=0VN-0003-00065
>>
>>1108267
Raid is shit, raid 5 is painted shit. A failing drive can spit out garbige and the raid will take that garbige and pripigate it to all your drives.

Use ZFS or StorageSpace (tm)

>>1106027
Go on flebay and google something called a sas controller, they will work with sas drives and sata drives. I would recommend getting an LSI one that can be reflashed to a dumb controller dont need no fucking shitty ass raid. Just do it all in software its better in every way and there is no real performance hit on modern systems.

I found one for $9 a second ago, you may actually spend more on cables than the controller. 8 and 16 drive controllers are common, more than 16 is hard to find but dooable if needed.

Make sure its pci express not pcix or some gay ass proprietary server slot, big difference there. Dont worry about the connectors too much, they all adapt to sata with squid adapters. Also look up the specks on your card or you may be limited to 2tb maximum hdd sizes if you use ones too old, but maybe that's not a concern for you.

I've used freenas/zfs and storage space from micro$$, and honestly storage space kicks the pants off zfs. Add drives of any size and create volues of any redundancy level you want, you want double or triple mirror you got it, you want parity or double parity you got it. You want no redundancy for some low value shit, that's fine too. It all just works like a dream. ZFS waists your drive space if you don't have symmetrically sized drives, storage space uses everything while maintaing your desired level of redundancy. It can even do compression, deduplication and can make a monster hybrid drive by throwing in an ssd.
>>
>>1113342
>storage space from micro$$

does not google
>>
File: ss.png (83KB, 794x1150px) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
83KB, 794x1150px
>>1113354
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPJ7N4sdwTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF1VoIftDMs
>>
>>1113342
>storage space from micro$
does not google

>>1113364
>storage spaces from micro$
googles just fine
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.