[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody own one? I'm looking for an entry level CNC mill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: download (2).jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
11KB, 275x183px
Anybody own one? I'm looking for an entry level CNC mill for assorted projects. Would I be better off buying a more advanced one used on craigslist/kijiji?
>>
>>1105545
This looks like meme garbage and is not a mill.
>>
>>1105545
An entry level mill is a $600 hobo fright mini mill or an old $1200 Bridgeport on Craigslist

Add some stepper motors and some drivers/brain box and you've got a fully functional cnc for under $2000
>>
>>1105570
the guys who laud the HF mills/lathes are right in that if you rebuild the whole thing and replace all the plastic parts, you get a dope little machine.

but the amount of money/time you spend doing it, you would have been better off with that 50 year old bridgeport.
>>
>>1105574
(Not everyone has the room or triple phase required for a Bridgeport or it would have been my only recommendation)

The harbor freight mini mill is made in the same factory exactly as the seig and the little machine mini mills

Even little machine admits this here:

http://littlemachineshop.com/info/minimill_compare.php
>>
>>1105577
>>1105574
"All the mini mills listed on this page are made in the same factory in China. Except where they have different features, the parts are interchangeable. In our experience there is not a noticeable quality difference between the brands."
>>
>>1105577
people who want a legit benchtop set up get a tormach or a sherline.

i don't care where they are made. if you want to hold any kind of tolerance on a HF machine, you are stripping that fucker down and replacing factory parts. you are going to spend your first 10-20 hours out of the crate taking out slop and shimming things true.

or if you are a beginner and don't know that you need to do that, that neat piston you make for your steam engine project is going to look like a cone and you are going to get thoroughly discouraged with the hobby in general.
>>
>>1105577
>>1105619
The g0704 seems to be extremely popular for CNC, though its bigger than your typical benchtop ones
>>
>>1105619
You should look up the in use videos for the harbor freight one, it's pretty true. Don't expect it to mill SS but it will eat through aluminum and brass like a champ

The main complaint people have for the harbor freight mill is the noise it produces. It uses a straight gear system instead of beveled helical or pully. But it is definitely to the same tolerances as the seig x2 and the little machine shop ones.

On top of that those ones all have significant documentation &kits for cnc conversion and all the parts on those ones are all compatible with each other so replacement parts are easy
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.