[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>have ceiling fan >bulbs keep burning out >can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: kitchen-ceiling-fans.jpg (102KB, 1900x1099px) Image search: [Google]
kitchen-ceiling-fans.jpg
102KB, 1900x1099px
>have ceiling fan
>bulbs keep burning out
>can't figure out why

I've tried everything from changing the voltage to loosening/tightening the bulbs, but my bulbs STILL burn out. What's going on? You guys ever have any trouble with this kind of stuff?
>>
Open it
>>
>>1105460
Ceiling fan bulbs are shit and do this constantly. Get some LED bulbs and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1105460
how old is your wiring?
>>
>bulbs keep burning out
Usually this is caused by a bad light switch.
Any flickering, expecially when flipping on?

With a ceiling fan it could also be a bad wiring connection.

Bulbs use more power when they're cold, so a flickering switch (or poor wiring connection) burns them out quicker
>>
>>1105460
Burns out with or without the fan on? Sometimes the vibration of the fan kills incandescent bulbs quickly, other times the socket is getting old and slightly corroded, leading to arcing between the bulb and socket and killing the bulb quickly. Try cleaning out the bulb receptacle and getting a bulb that is specifically labeled as 'for ceiling fans'
>>
>>1105486

Will LED make any difference?

>>1105499

Hard to say. My condo is in a building that was built in 2001, but it's been through a couple of difference owners since then.

>>1105507

Interestingly, I didn't have any problems with the bulbs until I replaced them (figured if I was replacing one old bulb, I'd replace the rest)
>>
>>1105460
>>have ceiling fan
>>bulbs keep burning out
vibration. Use LEDs.
>>
>>1106620

I'll give it a shot.

Why the fuck are LEDs so expensive?
>>
File: l0g1k.gif (106KB, 269x169px) Image search: [Google]
l0g1k.gif
106KB, 269x169px
>>1105460
Vibrations. Get LED.
but first make sure they are dimmable LED if you have a dimmer.
Pic unrelated but oddly on topic.
>>
>>1106623
LED's aren't in high enough production yet and "market dynamics". I've found LED bulbs for 75 burgerlandcents. but they are not dimmable. Just shop around.
>>
>>1106666

Nice quads.

Also, I managed to pick some up at CostCo. About $20 for a pack of six, but they should last me a while, so I'm cool with it.
>>
>>1106666
Beware of chink LED lamps, since they sometimes have a little to intense of a blue spectrum that makes your eyes feel tired, or even fuck them up slightly long term. You'd need an spectrometer, but you get the idea
>>
>>1105460
I have the same problem with my ceiling fan using typical "ceiling fan" incandescent bulbs. I don't even use the fan so it's not vibration from that in my case. There is a dimmer though and that makes the filaments vibrate/buzz a bit, but in my experience dimmers usually extend bulb life significantly rather than reduce it. I think the bulbs are just junk.

I have much better luck with the general purpose medium base A19 type halogen bulbs, particularly the Sylvania ones made in USA, and they're way cheaper. If you want to stick with incandescent you can just get some base adapters (cheap as can be on eBay) and use standard bulbs rather than ceiling fan bulbs, but they might not do well if subjected to vibrations of actually running the fan. Still might be cheaper anyway.
>>
you guys can still buy incandescent bulbs? that shit is highly illegal here
>>
>>1107130
>highly illegal
I hope by "highly" you don't mean people getting thrown in jail just for possession of incandescent light bulbs for personal-use.

I really want to embrace LED but I don't feel like trying to find bulbs that aren't severely flawed. The technology is great but the products offered are often terrible. The fact that 100/120 Hz flicker is commonplace just disgusts me. Completely unacceptable.
>>
>>1107134
i'm not sure with the possession penalty is but trying to import them is smuggling and can get jail time just like trying to import anything else that's banned

i don't mind LED now that the price is lower and they also work far better in cold weather. only real issue i've had is some of my older ones tend to get dim over time so really that long life span they always brag about actually isn't much longer
>>
File: Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg (56KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg
56KB, 320x240px
>>1107124
ya and beware of cancer causing food preservatives now present in all foods.

also chem trails
>>
>>1106618
> Will LED make any difference?

It'll save you energy costs by a few pennies
>>
>>1107146
They got dimmer because they were shitty bulbs.

Typically cheap manufacturers just line up as many LEDs needed to reach 120-220V, no current limiting resistors. So when something goes wonky, the LEDs get over driven and blow. This exasperates the problem as now more LEDs will get overdriven.
>>
>>1106618
>My condo is in a building that was built in 2001, but it's been through a couple of difference owners since then.

somebody fucked some shit up
>>
>>1105460
I am just like OP and I am having some serious bulb issues

Incandescents burning out very quickly.
Its not vibrations, I never run the fan.

I bought LED bulbs, but they dimly glow at night even with the switch off. I googled it and its not an uncommon phenomenon

Does anyone have ideas?
Its getting expensive
>>
>>1107147
Its your circadian rhythm you retard. Actual science.

A lot of food preservatives are absolutely garbage for you too. How you could equate either to chem trails is beyond me.
>>
>>1107146
>smuggling light bulbs
These are strange times we live in.

>>1107171
Did you read my post here?
>>1107129
If it's just ceiling fan bulbs you're having trouble with, get some adapters if necessary (e.g. candelabra to medium base) and use general purpose halogen bulbs instead because they're far better and cheaper.
>>
>>1107189
My ceiling fan uses regular sized bulbs, and it burnt out cheap incandescent and its burning out high quality GE reveal incandescent Ive burnt out 4 of the 8 Ive bought, and ive only lived here maybe 6 months.

I may try a halogen bulb and see what happens.
>>
>>1107195
I think the Reveal lamps might be made in China whereas the standard GE bulbs are USA-made. Might be some quality difference. Some GEs are made in Hungary also and those have a good reputation.

If you're in the US, just go to Walmart and get the Great Value brand halogens. They're just rebranded USA-made Sylvania sold for less money. I have a couple of the 2000 hour "Double Life" 72W halogen Great Value bulbs in my living room fixture that are going on upwards of 3000 hours now and haven't failed. That's partially due to being on a dimmer, but most of the time it's at/near max anyway, so it's definitely good bulb quality too.

I've had some duds over the years with the USA-made Sylvanias, but most have met their rated lifespan for me.

If you haven't already, check your voltage. A little bit of over-voltage will significantly reduce lifespan of incandescent lamps. On the plus side, it increases their efficiency. If what your electric company gives you is a little high, there's not much you can do about it aside from using dimmers.
>>
>>1107195

>My ceiling fan uses regular sized bulbs

Seriously?
>>
>>1107171
>I bought LED bulbs, but they dimly glow at night even with the switch off. I googled it and its not an uncommon phenomenon
dimmer switch?
>>
>>1107222
Yeah, it's in a bedroom.

>>1107230
There is no dimmer on it, just a single switch.
>>
>>1107241
Do you have a lighted switch somewhere? That's usually the cause. A dimmer couldn't cause it unless it were electronic and not completely cutting the power when off.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.