[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Woke up last night to a pool of water under the carpet spanning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (767KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
767KB, 2448x2448px
Woke up last night to a pool of water under the carpet spanning the length of my windowed wall. The largest pool of water was beneath the windows and thinned along the length of the trim to each corner of the wall. I live in Northern BC, so temperatures swing regularly from +30 in summer to -30 in winter. Had a -28 cold snap for about two weeks and a few warmer -4 days with snow. My instinct was that it was caused by pretty significant ice dam building on the windows from condensation, and I would like to think that the runoff melted and trapped itself behind the wall. I didn't notice and ice dams building underneath shingles or water stains on the ceiling so I ruled out roof problems. As for the window, it's a double pane wooden framed window that is no doubt in need of replacing, however, that will have to possibly wait until early spring. There's currently no condensation build-up as I placed some plastic sheet.

TL:DR Version
Any tips on pinpointing if this is due to an improperly sealed window or from a large window ice dam melt?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Photo of window

Also, apologies for my shit terminology and overall lack of knowledge. I'm a young first time home owner trying not to die via mold exposure.
>>
>>1105424
>ice dam building on the windows from condensation
what do you mean?

>I didn't notice and ice dams building underneath shingles or water stains on the ceiling so I ruled out roof problems.
did you get up there and look?

>improperly sealed window
that's my thought; if there was enough ice buildup on the edge of the roof above the window, and it started melting and dripping right against the side of the building above the window, a bad seal could let water in....but it doesn't seem like it would have happened all of the sudden, rather over time
>>
>>1105424
Dry it up.

Sprinkle some flour or sawdust around it.

Next time it rains, follow the moisture trails.
>>
Hi there, I'm a window installer from Winnipeg, Manitoba. The problem is the plastic you've put up to "insulate" the window. if there's enough of a draft coming through, chances are good that your frame is already compromised significantly. Putting up the plastic is allowing condensation to build up between the plastic and the glass, and in turn the wooden frame is absorbing it. You can see in the photo that the bottom corners of each sealed unit are rotting away. either seal the window from the outside or take off the plastic. I've had to re-frame way too many walls because of idiots putting plastic up and having the heat cranked.
>>
>>1105829
Me again, just noticed that you put the plastic up after this problem. Is the house radiator heat? Is there a heat vent near the window? do you leave the curtains/blinds covering the window? The glass needs airflow and low humidity to prevent condensation buildup, and the wooden frame needs to be painted/sealed to prevent water from permeating it and going into the wall.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.