[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come 70 degrees in summer is cold af and 70 degrees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: RTH6580WF-c1-3.jpg (244KB, 900x570px) Image search: [Google]
RTH6580WF-c1-3.jpg
244KB, 900x570px
How come 70 degrees in summer is cold af and 70 degrees in winter is hot af?
>>
Magnets.
>>
Adaption
>>
>>1104769
How do they work yo?
>>
>>1104772
Miracles.
>>
>>1104760
Because people don't go out side enough.
>>
>>1104760
Because hot air rises. You live in the bottom 2/3rds of your space. Heat likes to be as elevated as possible. So your legs and shit are in 60 degree air while your thermostat is in 70 degree air.
>>
>>1104760
The Humidity in the air.
>>
70 degrees is hot af anywhere and anytime
>>
>>1104810

Don't be a stupid idiot.
>>
>>1104760
I heat to 68 and cool to 78.
Having worked in the food industry (think big fucking warehouse sized ice box). It's all about the temperature delta. Stand outside in freezing weather, 68 feels like shorts and sunscreen time. Work in 110 heat, 78 feels like your balls are going to freeze off.
>>
my god are you using your entire house to boil water what the fuck my house is at like 16 degrees
>>
>>1104930

Ha ha!
>>
>>1104930
ITT celsius fags vs Fahrenheit fags
>>
>>1104760
I'm pretty sure it's psychosomatic.
My wife goes the other way around.
In the summer, she'll set the A/C to 68, and that's fine, but in the winter, 72 is too cold for her.
>>
>>1104760
Relativity
>>/sci/
>>
I set my house to 80 in the summer and 55 in the winter. I am in a constant state of suffering.
>>
>>1104760
The brain perceives changes in temperature, but normalizes and tunes out steady states. If the temp is 70 and going down, it will feel cold. If the temp is 70 and going up, it will feel warm. If it's 70 and staying at 70, it will feel like 70. That never happens though. Remember that air conditioning is not 100% stable, it varies within a couple degrees as it cycles on and off.

Also, there's the radiation effect. If everything is warm and toasty, the walls, grass, w/e, will emit infrared radiation that you feel, faintly, on your skin, just enough to give your brain the impression of "hey, it's a warm day.". When it's cold, you don't have that.
>>
Winter = Low Humidity
Summer = High Humidity

They typical home has no control over humidity. Your humidity levels will inline with outside humidity levels.

What you truly feel is wet bulb temperatures. This takes into account both dry bulb, the temp your thermostat indicates, and humidity. Wet bulb temps would be higher at a higher humidity and lower at a lower humidity, even though the temperature has stayed the same. In this case 70 F.
>>
>>1105146
>Winter = Low Humidity
>Summer = High Humidity
Where I live it's the opposite. Dry as fuck in the summers and the concrete sweating bullets in the winter.
>>
>>1105149
Certain parts of the world are like that. What temps do you see in the winter? Do you have more precipitation during the winter months?
>>
>>1105151
Not him but in the UK our "mild" winter temperatures of a few degrees C feel much colder than the continents "cold" winters of -10c.

When I was in Poland their -15c feels like our 5c an its all down to how humid the air is.
>>
>>1104760
>in winter is hot af?
>hot af
>af

Oh yeah, I forgot you kids get a long winter break.
>>
>>1105151
>What temps do you see in the winter?
On average it's 20s-30's Fahrenheit overnight and 50's during the day.

>Do you have more precipitation during the winter months?
Oh yeah. Summers are dry, fall is mixed, winter and spring are wet.
>>
>>1104794
If there is a 10 degree temp difference between knee height and chest height, you're doing something terribly wrong.
>>
>>1104760
Idk man both sound like dead valley tier temps

I like it around comfy 24°
>>
stop asking questions op
>>
Simple answer, radiation...
Your body doesn't feel temperature, but rather the rate of change of temperature. This is known as temperature flux. This is also why a cloth couch feels warm and metal feels cold even though they were in the same room for weeks and are the same temperature. The metal conducts heat away from your body faster ie feels colder.
So in the summer radiation from the Windows doors and walls keep you warm and in the winter you radiate heat and the Windows doors and walls absorb your radiant heat quicker therefore you feel a large negative heat flux (get cold).

So to sum it up, your thermostat measures temperature and you feel heat flux. In the winters it's like your walls are like metal, and in the summer your walls are insulative like cloth.
>>
Similar to daylight savings, the US moves the Fahrenheit scale up 10 degrees in the winter and down 10 degrees in the summer to save power
>>
>>1105149
this isnt possible.
the issue here is a matter of psychrometrics.
higher temperature air is capable of holding more humidity than cooler air so in the warmer months the humidity is higher. this is just a matter of physics. dont confuse relative humidity and absolute humidity.

if you have 35% relative humidity at 21C thats .006 kg/m3 moisture. if you have 85% RH at 5C its the same amount of moisture in the air.

since your body uses moisture and evaporation to cool itself, there needs to be a temperature difference to allow for evaporation to take place. this is why wind makes your skin feel cold. the increased airflow increases the rate of evaporation which cools your skin. this is also why in the summer, when its hot and humid, you feel like you cant sweat. the air is nearly saturated with moisture already and there isnt enough temperature differential between your skin and the air to cause much evaporation.

tl;dr its because of humidity. control your humidity and temperatures will feel the same regardless of the season
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.