[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, I need some advice on making a grappling hook (something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20161223_235822.png (340KB, 1080x1008px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161223_235822.png
340KB, 1080x1008px
Hey /diy/, I need some advice on making a grappling hook (something like pic.) and I also need advice on what materials to use and some filling on the process of welding all of the spikes and the ring part together. (I'm rather new to welding) My plan is to use 12 inch nails as the spikes of the hook, are they usable for this kind of a project or should I use something else?
>>
>>1103409
What's the application?
>>
>>1103419
he's obviously going bowling
>>
>>1103409
>12 inch nails
functionally theyd have to be able to support twice your weight, much more if say youre rock climbing then you slip and fall 2 feet. A falling body gains inertia quick.

Our site has a policy on fall protection, i believe it just mirrors osha standards, but basically any part of the harness as well as the anchor point has to be able to withstand a shock of at least 5000 lbs.

5000 lbs is a little excessive i believe, but id do research on what kind of loads this hook will need to withstand. Youd hate to almost be on top of that 3 story house about to look in the bed room windows for your 16 year olf neighbor and have it give out.
>>
>>1103426
What I mean is will OP use it as a life safety device or just some trivial rigging?
>>
>>1103433
I'd mostly just make the hook as a project to randomly mess around with, I'll probaply use it for small climbing and other things that the hook can be utilized for.
>>
I think you should just buy a real grappling hook and not risk killing yourself with some garbage you niggerrigged together but whatever.
>>
>>1103641
>I'll probaply use it for small climbing
If you're going to use it to support your weight at all there are a few factors to keep in mind:
>Your hook and rope should be tested to hold 15 times your weight. OSHA standards dictate that life-safety riggings must adhere to a ratio of 15:1 in order to account for the inertia of a falling body. A human body accelerates at about 9.8m/s/s.
>Your best bet for a strong, cost-effective metal is cold-rolled steel.
>Welding often results in weaker stress points at each weld. You're better off buying a large bar of metal and cutting your hook from it so that it's all one solid piece.
>Do not use static rope for climbing. Your rope should have some elasticity to it in order to account for the inertia of a falling body. A static rope may snap under extreme and sudden stress, and if it doesn't there's a chance you could become injured from the sudden stop. Your rope should also be thicker than 5mm; the human hand cannot firmly grasp any rope or cord thinner than 5mm.
>Read up on the Capstan Equation and use it whenever it's applicable. Coupling the Capstan Equation with your weight-bearing hook drastically reduces your chances of injury.
Good luck, have fun, and be safe.
>>
>>1103711
Thanks for the information.
>>
>>1103711
>A human body accelerates at about 9.8m/s/s.
wow, just like every other body on the surface of Earth
>>
>>1103711
>buying large bar of metal and cut out hook

Do not listen to this guy. Buy three o 1cm rods of low carbon high strength steel, bend them into a hook and weld them together.
t. materials science and engineering
>>
>>1103714
helium balloon
>>
>>1103409
Keep in mind that real grappling hooks are not used like you see them in most entertainment media. You use them for stabilizing and they are made so that they open up when they fail instead of just snapping.
>>
>>1103409
Is it for climbing or for dredging a lake?
>>
>>1104033
You would not do well on /sci./ The balloon is still experiencing a 9.8 m/s^2 acceleration due to gravity, but the helium being lighter than air is counteracting that acceleration with a greater acceleration of its own in the opposite direction. Dumbass.
>>
>>1104811
You wouln't either. The balloon experiences forces, not acceleration. Acceleration is the result of these forces acting on the balloon.
>>
>>1104821
You're right, but the biggest reason I wouldn't do well on /sci/ is because I still think of it as 32 ft/s^2, like I learned in high school. That's why I'm here on the old guy board.

OP, do not use 12" spike nails as part of a diy grappling hook. They aren't tough enough for that, they're basically slightly strengthened malleable iron.
>>
>>1104833
Hi I'm here from B and balloons are slow
>>
>>1103731
>buy low carbon steel rods and weld
Do not listen to this guy. Buy a large shipping container and fill it with pallets and imitation crab meat.
t. doctorate in metallurgy
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.