[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I see this type of axe/hammer in antique stores a lot but never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 10

File: yw_5.jpg (31KB, 465x555px) Image search: [Google]
yw_5.jpg
31KB, 465x555px
I see this type of axe/hammer in antique stores a lot but never on store shelves or talked about these days.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the pros and cons of this type of hatchet?

The way I see it it looks practical but the trend among outdoor enthusiasts these days seems to be mainly scandinavian-style hatchets.
>>
>>1103292
The knob on the back isn't for hammering. And they are more along the lines of carpenter axes then anything. Still too fat to be carving. The v notch is for vine cutting or rope. Hardly works like that tho.
>>
They're more a craftsmans hatchet, you can shape timber, bang in nails, pull them out and in a pinch, make some kindling. They're maybe less adept as an 'axe' I guess than the scandi ones which are more of a woodsmans tool for carving, bit better at handling thicker timber and bashing in tent pegs, whittling etc.
>>
File: 27746237070_2a9630b8a6_c[1].jpg (205KB, 622x800px) Image search: [Google]
27746237070_2a9630b8a6_c[1].jpg
205KB, 622x800px
>>1103295
Ignorance.

>>1103296
Closer, but still off.

>it looks practical but the trend among outdoor enthusiasts
No.

It's a roofer's hatchet. Could also be a lath hatchet or a box hatchet, etc. Depends on the maker. Either way, each part had a use. The notch is for pulling and prying out nails. Some had them, some didn't. A claw hatchet, for example, had a claw and left off the notch. The edge was for working with small bits of wood. Splitting wood shingles for roofing, opening crates, etc. The "knob", as this turd >>1103295 speculates, was absolutely for hammering. It was intended for small nails, though. Roofing nails, lath nails, etc. You wouldn't frame with one of these.
>>
File: vaughancarp.png (531KB, 774x516px) Image search: [Google]
vaughancarp.png
531KB, 774x516px
I have one. Everything this anon says >>1103311
is true.

It's crap for processing firewood/bushcraft/chopping because the straight edge and concave bevel. It's excellent for fine work, shaping, carving, sculpting wood, and light splitting. The back is a tempered to be a striking surface which is cool beans as well.

For camping and working out in the woods I bring a proper camping hatchet.

In conclusion the "carpenter's" hatchet is a great lightweight tool with many uses of contrast.
>>
>>1103311
What the fuck is a roofers hatchet you faggot??? You sound like some kindergartener who makes up words to sound smart to his class mates.

>speculates, was absolutely for hammering.

Nope. You missed a fucking word you retard.

Also the bullshit in the rear is for weight. That is fucking it, not a god damn hammer.

Also you don't use an axe to splint wood shingles or siding... You use a froe, I worked on restoring old wood shingle roofs in florida for 3 years. Every piece of cypress was split using a froe... Never used an axe once. The only axe like tool ever used was an adze for cutting gutters.
>>
Sorry
>>1103311
But
>>1103362
Is way more alpha so I trust him
>>
>>1103362

It's obvious you never did roofing.
>>
The hammer is meant for punching through the armour of your foe, the blade is for processing the meat.
>>
>>1103362
>florida
Well that explains a lot
>>
File: r_shinglers_hatchet.jpg (43KB, 960x325px) Image search: [Google]
r_shinglers_hatchet.jpg
43KB, 960x325px
>>1103362
>>
>>1103292
lathing hatchet
>>
File: oh_stoppit.png (20KB, 546x436px) Image search: [Google]
oh_stoppit.png
20KB, 546x436px
>>1103396
what a half-adzed post
>>
>>1103397
Stop it, they'll just keep shitposting to and froe.
>>
>>1103400
Dumb froeposter
>>
File: latest.jpg (16KB, 235x212px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
16KB, 235x212px
>>1103400
>>1103401
I've adze just about enough of the both of you.
>>
>>1103405
I'm axing you to stop. Please.
>>
File: Bat-Silhouette.png (5KB, 406x310px) Image search: [Google]
Bat-Silhouette.png
5KB, 406x310px
>>1103408
Can't help it friend, I've gone hatchet crazy!
>>
>>1103361
How heavy is the head?
>>
>>1103434
Had to look it up. 22 ounces apparently.
>>
>>1103311
>>1103361

Why would you use a hammer with a sharp blade facing towards you while striking?
>>
File: 17.png (8KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
17.png
8KB, 493x402px
>>1105239
how often do you hit yourself about the head and torso with a claw hammer anon? never once in a lifetime? ok then.
>>
>>1105239
oh shit, someone could hurt themselves. maybe california will do something about it
>>
>>1105310
You mean the California Lathe Hatchet?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.