[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My first time tinning/soldering to a pcb, second time soldering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20161222_005725.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161222_005725.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
My first time tinning/soldering to a pcb, second time soldering anything.
Am I getting the general gist?

Sometimes it blobs up and doesn't want to stick and other times it will flow onto the board fine, is this me not heating the board enough? It seems to get gooey and that seems to make the solder stick even less.
This is all new to me.
>>
>>1102493

You need to flux your work area and heat it appropriately.
>>
>>1102493

If the solder doesn't want to wick onto the board/joint, it's usually because of contamination by oxides or insufficient heat. Flux takes care of cleaning the joint, and, obviously, turning the iron up gets you more heat.

Other than that, I'm not sure if there's anything under those blobs, but, if there is, you're using too much solder. That's not really a bad thing, but still.
>>
Any reason you're not just soldering to the button pads?
>>
>>1102506
Remember sometimes the extra heat causes the flux to burn off too quickly and makes it more difficult. Our company switched to lead free solder and lower temperatures sometimes works better
>>
File: copper perfboard.jpg (126KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
copper perfboard.jpg
126KB, 800x587px
>>1102493
too much solder anon.
But at least they aren't "cold".

Make sure the work is clean and the copper is "bright". That might take a small piece of very fine sandpaper or as I use some 0000 steel wool on a hemostat. Then wipe clean, flux, and solder. You might want to buy a (pic related) to practice on.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>1102493
Yall newfags, sit the fuck down and finish this video.

https://youtu.be/vIT4ra6Mo0s
>>
>>1102805
I have that HP calculator!
Thanks for the flashback anon
>>
>>1102502
>>1102506
>>1102802
I haven't looked at flux at all, I will do.
>>1102608
It is going inside a gameboy case with the rubber contact pads, I don't think they will like wires being in the way.
>>1102802
I always seem to end up using too much solder, I have very unsteady hands and end up wobbling things about too much.
>>1102805
This is very helpful, if a bit outdated, thanks.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.