[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ bros. I'm a very amateur wood worker, aiming to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: download.jpg (3KB, 194x146px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3KB, 194x146px
Hey /diy/ bros. I'm a very amateur wood worker, aiming to be a luthier as an end goal. My question is, can you make a box, using only box/finger joint? Not only the sides but also the top and bottom. I am wondering because I am having some redwood sent to me in slabs and I lack the proper tools to make a real guitar body, so I want to make a simple box. My problem is lack of experience so I decided to turn to you guys for help. Pic not very related.
>>
>>1102437
If the intent is to make a strait up box, you would be better of making it with an inset top and bottom. You could do box joints but you don't really gain anything from it. They are harder to do then more traditional methods and no stronger.

That said, yeah, you can do it.
>>
>>1102437
You could, but it's not the most effective. Using a dado, rabbet or groove joint for the top and bottom is a lot easier to do at no cost in strength. Finger/box joints just aren't needed when you have that much surface area to work with.

It would probably look cool though.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-01-20-44-32.png (218KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-01-20-44-32.png
218KB, 1440x2560px
Hey guys. Op here. These are the plans I have right now. They are very early of course and still doing some theory crafting but any tips?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-01-20-39-42.jpg (507KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-01-20-39-42.jpg
507KB, 1440x2560px
>>1102446
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-01-20-44-36.png (242KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-01-20-44-36.png
242KB, 1440x2560px
>>1102447
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-01-20-44-34.png (239KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-01-20-44-34.png
239KB, 1440x2560px
>>1102448
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-21-15-46-46.png (260KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-21-15-46-46.png
260KB, 1440x2560px
>>1102450
Please forgive my terrible plans. I am still just startinh
>>
>>1102455
>chisels, mallet
Add a hand saw to that list and you have everything you need.

>I'm only 17
4chan's minimum age is 18.
>>
>>1102461
You definitely aren't going to believe me and that's fine. I understand I wouldn't believe me either but my birthday is in February so I'm pretty much already there. Anyhow it's not like I'm on NSFW boards. I think it'd be pretty hard to find another 17 year old on /diy/ for advice and not trolling.
>>
>>1102437
>can you make a box, using only box/finger joint?
probably, but simpler joints would probably work fine
>>
you're trying to build a fingerbox?
>>
>>1102574
What kind of joints do you recommend?
>>
>>1102806
what's wrong with a plain face joint?
properly glued it should be fine for the intended purpose

someone else not that long ago was try to use finger joint made with a jig and a table saw, and was having problems because even the slightest difference screws the whole alignment off

even dovetails or keyed miter joints might be less problematic and less cutting
>>
>>1102837
Well the problem that I am encountering lies with the top and bottom of the box. I can join the sides together no problem, but what do I do once I get to the top and bottom? The pieces I had them, with them being a farm that is cutting and sending me wood, cut for me are wrong. My top and bottom pieces are the same size as how big my box is. I didn't compensate for the thickness of the sides and I lack the proper tools to cut pieces of wood at that lenght. How should I joint the top and bottom pieces of wood together with the sides? Sorry if I'm not very clear. I'm still just starting and it is only my third project, the first two were cookie tin ukuleles that don't sound terrible but is still belown satisfactory.
>>
>>1102839
I can't picture what you're trying to describe

if the top and bottom are the same length and width as the outer dimensions, why can't you glue them on to the edge faces of the sides?
>>
>>1102857
I can it's just that I don't think it will hold very well for a guitar body. As a box it might hold pretty well but this box is gonna be put under a large amount of pressure. Over 100lb. It basically needs to be strong enough for me to stand on.
>>
>>1102864
pretty sure regular guitars are just glued together...

your best bet would probably be to cut grooves in the sides to hold the top and bottom

you could also glue it flush and use dowels going through for extra strength...look neat too
>>
>>1102871
Guitars are held together with hide glue and supported on the inside with bracing. Thanks for the idea and I will try that as well as doing the inside support. I will post pics when I'm done with it and post progress. Thanks for the help
>>
>>1102875
Hide glue is traditional but a lot of folks just use PVA wood glue these days.
>>
>>1102892
Since we're getting onto the topic of glue. What kind of glue should I use to bond metal and wood together?
>>
>>1102893
I'd say epoxy
>>
>>1102900
How can I keep epoxy clean and easier to use? I've worked with it before and it was a little messy and took quite a bit of sanding to take care of left over squeeze out
>>
Test post
>>
>>1102901
try and be as neat as possible to cut down on the cleanup....and certainly wear gloves

you might have better control if you use a pastry hint and fold a little piping cone with some paper, pour in a little epoxy and squeeze it out like icing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-rb4BR_dgI
(obviously make it smaller)
>>
>>1102910
also might want to use one with a longer cure time, that way if you do get some leakage you can have a chance to wipe it off before it hardens
>>
>>1102607
D O
N O T
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.