[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've always been interested in woodworking, but I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: woodworking.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
woodworking.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
I've always been interested in woodworking, but I don't really know how to get into it. I want to be able to build my own furniture, and have hobby that's useful and fulfilling. Anyone here have any advice, or maybe could give me some book recommendations on how to get started? Maybe some links?
>>
>>1101209
watch a lot of youtube videos, and make stuff yourself until you're good.

>I don't know which videos/books
any will do. If you've watched/read enough, you'll better understand which were shit and which weren't.

>what tools should I buy?
whichever you need. Buy cheap stuff until you have enough experience to see where you need quality and where you don't

>but what should I build?
Whatever you need. Alternatively, google "beginner woodworking projects"

Come back if you have specific questions to a project you already had some thoughts about and formulated a concrete plan.
Also, fyi, there's a stupid questions thread on /diy/ (if not, make one), where you can ask simple questions. I'm sure you'll be there a lot.
>>
get ready to spend on tools, and spend on wood
>>
Get:
1) Pencil
2) Straight edge
3) a) Rough and b) fine hand saw (e.g. fatmax or irwin) or flea market 2$ saws
Then go to the store and buy some 2x4s and 2x6s and build some outdoor furniture. You don't need many.
If you need plans or ideas this is where you search internets or go to the bookstore. Try some mortise and tenon joinery with screws and glue with aforementioned furniture.

IF you hate it up to here. Stop. You've probably invested maybe 15$ for the chisel set and another 30$ for the handsaws and whatever for the 2x's so give up now.
If you have power tools, fine but you're better off with hand tools for now anyway.
>>
I am also an aspiring wood worker. Luthier specifically, but I got all of my basic tool at harbor freight. It's a small hardware store for hobbiests and semi professionals looking for tools to use to only get a feel for. They're very inexpensive, however you do get what you pay for. If you plan on wood working everyday I think you should commit more money. If you only want to try to see if you like it go to harbor freight. You can order online and use their bomb ass coupons.
>>
It is not a cheap undertaking.

There are four essential machines that you need to turn lumber into furniture:

1. Table saw
2. Jointer
3. Planer
4. Router table

If you don't have the space for these, then don't bother.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (54KB, 800x621px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
54KB, 800x621px
>>1101516
And yet, people managed to make quality furniture for thousands of years before any of these items were invented. If space and money are an issue then use hand tools.

>1. Table saw
Hand saws. A rip cut saw and a crosscut saw if you want to cover the basics. A backsaw if you really want to get fancy.

>2. Jointer
Hand planes. Stanley made hundreds of types. You can probably manage to get rough cut timber babies-ass smooth with 3-4 different types.

>3. Planer
See above but at 1-3 more types of hand plane.

>4. Router table
Router planes are a thing. You can even DIY them if you want to be super cheap. Really, though, you can't beat a router. They are small, common and cheap enough that they can be had used for a song. I bought a very nice B&D router from the early 70's (when B&D was still good, picture related) for $10 the other day. The things a fucking champ. Every hobbyist has one and they tend to go cheap on CL and garage/estate sales. They really haven't changed much in 50 years so feel free to buy one of any vintage as long as it' a solid design and works well.
>>
File: cdnc[1].jpg (322KB, 700x1467px) Image search: [Google]
cdnc[1].jpg
322KB, 700x1467px
>>1101543
>for $10 the other day
>Sold for $47.95 in 1978
That's $177.50 in today's money.
>>
>>1101543
>And yet, people managed to make quality furniture for thousands of years before any of these items were invented

Sure they did.
Its just took 10 times the skill and 100 times longer
>>
>>1101965
People used to live in caves and didn't need furniture. I think OP should just not make furniture since people used to not make furniture.
>>
>>1101970
That would be a much more traditional way to live his life, getting back to the roots of humanity.
I like the way you think.
>>
>>1101543
You can go the hand tool route, but youtube videos featuring Rob Cosman and Paul Sellars and the like make it deceptively easy looking for noobs. I've tried been down that path before but even making a straight, square cut with a hand saw takes real practice. Plus I would argue that getting the hand tools necessary is more expensive than buying used power tools, a couple saw blades, and some router bit profiles.
>>
>>1101516
>those things
>not cheap

you can get everything but the planer for less than 300$ off craigslist. thats cheaper than a playstation.
>>
>>1102533
If you want to go used you can't beat the prices of used hand tools. I've picked up good quality chisels for a dollar a pop. Spend an afternoon sharpening them and they are good as new. Good quality Disston saws can go for $5-$10 a pop. Hand planes are a mixed bag. Sometimes people want stupid prices ($50+), sometimes they are $5-$20 a pop. As I said above I got a 1.5 HP router for $10. I bought a set of Craftsman Kromedge bits for $15. It was a box of bits still in the shrink wrap.
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 194x260px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 194x260px
The technique of furniture making - Ernest Joyce.
A fully comprehensive manual and encyclopedia for cabinetmaking.
>>
Pallets my good man. Pallets.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.