[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are these used so often when they are so easily removed without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0792.jpg (20KB, 245x246px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0792.jpg
20KB, 245x246px
Why are these used so often when they are so easily removed without the proper driver? Are there any screw types that are actually truly tamper proof?
>>
>>1101080
breakaway heads
>>
>>1101080
>Why are these used so often when they are so easily removed without the proper driver?

No good reason

>Are there any screw types that are actually truly tamper proof?

One way screws
>>
>>1101084
One way screws don't usually work either. Most I've seen still have the head exposed enough to grab with vice grips
>>
>>1101080

If they are as you suggest easily removed without the proper driver they're not being used in a suitable application or you're not being entirely honest.

They are difficult to remove in applictions they're suited for without the proper tools. I very recently worked on a custody suite/jail and these were used on every fixture and fitting to stop inmates tampering with them and believe me, there was no way of removing them without the proper driver.

There are a number of anti-tamper screws that work. You have to decide which best suits the application.
>>
Just like all security it's just what a matter of how incontinent you want to make it. In East St Louis they had a street light that was constantly being busted by someone. So they used security screws to lock the access panel on. The criminal just started using a pickaxe to break the panel. So they got a panel that could I get be busted. So the criminal roped the post down. So they secured it more structurally by burying the support real deep. The criminal, busted the concrete the post was buried in, cut the wires and half tipped it. Not sure what the city did after that but sounded like a cop assigned to watch that light pole would have been cheaper.
>>
>>1101080
>Are there any screw types
consider not a screw but a rivet, can still be drilled out.
so no. nothing is safe.
>>
>>1101111
That doesn't sound real, but nice quads either way.
>>
>>1101106
Not him, but I see them occasionally in electronics. The Xbox 360 used them on the controller, and I think the six long screws on the console itself may have been "tamper proof". In reality, I never bothered to buy the correct bit, as I found a small flathead screwdriver can wedge against the center pin, making it easier to remove than a normal torx screw.

Of course, inmates are going to find them difficult to remove, but without any tools whatsoever, you could probably just use a small phillips screw for the same result.
>>
>>1101111
Just for mental exercise, what would an indestructible street lamp look like
>>
>>1101111
Would have been cheaper to shoot the nigger.
>>
File: 61-357.jpg (44KB, 538x538px) Image search: [Google]
61-357.jpg
44KB, 538x538px
I work for a museum and we use screws like pic related in exhibit cases. The stupid bits break constantly and I don't think they're really that much of a deterrent other than that they take some know how and time to get out, which I suppose is all you really want. It keeps a kid with a Leatherman from randomly taking shit apart, and delays a thief long enough to hopefully be detected.
>>
>>1101098
All it really takes is making them slightly recessed or countersunk, they're a thorn in the ass to get out. Breakaway heads are also good.
>>
>>1101113
Welded. Filled filled with explosives rigged to go off if drilled in to.

Wouldn't be a fun welding job though.
>>
>>1101150
A twig stuck in the ground with an army around it told to shoot on sight.
>>
>>1101106
Security torx and really most tamper proof screws can easily be removed with a flat screw driver
>>
>>1101173
I could have that thing out in about 2 seconds
>>
File: 943000-034-2.jpg (43KB, 452x404px) Image search: [Google]
943000-034-2.jpg
43KB, 452x404px
>>1101080
you'll go to hell for doing this, but you'll be laughing the whole way down.
>>
File: anonymous.jpg (41KB, 1013x1079px) Image search: [Google]
anonymous.jpg
41KB, 1013x1079px
>>1101080
I know why...
>>
>>1101378
I really really like that pic.
Especially if it's countersunk flush with some lock-tite red.
>>
>>1101173
My $9.99 bit set from harbor fright came with those bits. I still like Robertson.
>>
>>1101080
Use a spot weld or a rivet.
>>
>>1101173
A dremel would turn that into a flathead in about 2 seconds flat.
>>
Left hand twist drill can unscrew any "tamper proof" fastener
>>
Let's face it, it's fucking easy to get out any 'security screw' in under a minute if you put any thought into it.

The reason they exist is to stop Tyrone trying to ooga booga his way into shit with a flathead.
>>
>>1101173
I always wondered what the fuck those 2 prong security bits were for
>>
>>1101400
yeah, but most security guards are smart enough to know that the sound of a dremel at 2AM is suspicious.
>>
>>1101150
A low cone with sides at 45 degrees that sits in the middle of the intersection, each side has a led light sunk into it with a thick plexiglass cover. It shines the light at oncoming traffic with either green for go, yellow for caution, or red to stop. Drivers in a line rely on the first car in line reacting to cue them in. Won't work well on multi lane roads... but for 4 way intersections if anyone hits it they'll likely ride over it....

Or just rip out the whole mess and put in a fucking roundabout...... I hate them but they do work fairly well...
>>
File: images.jpg (24KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
24KB, 512x288px
>>1101492
>Mfw roundabouts are the superior design every time

Burgers get rid of those retarded 4 way intersections and embrace the round meme lord.
>>
>>1101471
This. Why do people use cheap gun safes when a good criminal can get through it with a torch? Because 99% of criminals are lazy and going for the easy score.
>>
>>1101150

>indestructible

There is no such thing. I have a saying: "The only thing that can stop a suitably determined human is another, equally-determined human."

A far as physical barriers go, it's not so much "level of security" as "level of inconvenience".
>>
>>1101111
Jesus why did that guy hate that street light so fucking much?
>>
>>1101588
Possibly it was shining into his bedroom window. I had one of those a while back and I kept taking it out with an air rifle until the council stopped fixing it and I could have a comfy sleep.
>>
>>1101378
my sides
good one
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.