[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I realized today I'm only using half of my room (10 1/2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

I realized today I'm only using half of my room (10 1/2 foot ceiling).

My girlfriend and I are living together and I want to make a loft bed. The mattress is 9 inches thick and I figure I can do with 3 feet of headroom between the mattress and the ceiling in a 10 1/2 ceiling. I want to make a loft mattress but want some tips on wear to start. I'm in a college apartment and so have little tools, but I can draw up the designs and have lowes cut the wood for me. How thick should the boards be to hold the two of us (let's say around 500 lbs to be safe), what kind of wood is the strongest for this kind of thing, what kind of nails ought I use, and how thick should the legs of the loft be? I've also got my dad to ask these things but I want to be discrete because he doesn't know we've moved in together yet
>>
>>1100419
>no skills
>no experience
>no tools
>no knowledge
>wants to build a loft bed for 2

you are way out of your league son

if you value your safety dont even try

you dont even know what you are getting into

just buy one
>>
>>1100421
$2,200 dude. Wood is like $4 for 10 feet at Lowes.
>>
>>1100419
>3ft between bed and ceiling
>you can only have sex in the missionary position otherwise you bash you're head against the ceiling

anon think this through
>>
>>1100424
you are out of your league

go ahead and buy some woods and nail them together and tell us how it went
>>
File: S-1228080-www.kaifineart.com-3.jpg (124KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
S-1228080-www.kaifineart.com-3.jpg
124KB, 700x913px
>>1100426
that number is negotiable. I'll try different heights. As far as I can tell, a loft bed is a pretty simple design; you put a dozen or so planks across the bed of the loft to distribute the pressure of the mattress (which in itself will distribute the pressure of the two people). 4 legs with some kind of support (I'll just put 2x4s across each side to serve as the ladder to climb up into the bed. My dad is good at this stuff too so he can help me. I've got plenty of tools, minus a table saw. I think I'm just lost on the details, like what kind of nails/screws/bolt do I use, what kind of wood, how thick the wood needs to be (most people I see online are just using 2x4s)
>>
>>1100419
Hardware stores don't make those sorts of cuts
. They cut it down so you can fit it in your car. They don't cut to final length. Their blades are shit and the guy running it doesnt give a fuck and there's a sticker on the machine that says +/- 1" cuts only.
>>
>>1100427
Queen sized lofts are hard to find and expensive, especially since I've got a 10 1/2 foot ceiling
>>
>>1100435
Well my dad's got all that hardware. I'd prefer to leave him out of it, but if I need to I can enlist his help (and borrow his tools)
>>
What kind of mattress do you have?
A boxmatress with legs?
>>
>>1100419
Hi op
Love loft beds and loft bed threads.
I have an alcove in my living room that is about the size of a double mattress.
All of the walls are brick.
I bought some expanding wall anchor bolts and 7 lengths of 6x2.
I'm in the UK so they were 2.4m long, I think that's 8ft? Ish?
Bolted a length to head and foot wall using 5 or 6 anchors following manufacturers instructions for spacing and load capacity.
Cut some notches in the header and footer and the ends of the lengths so they would fit snug. Boarded over with 18mm ply (3/4 inch). The ' joists' are less than 1ft apart.
Ceiling is 3m (10ft?) there is enough space for me to walk under cleanly 1930mm (6'3~). Fine for sleeping but there is no way anyone would be shagging in it although it is absolutely solid, when building it I had myself and my friend who is like fat as fuck on it and another guy showing off doing pull-ups and it was rock solid. Used the off cuts for a ladder.
Built it for a friend as a joke. He refuses to use it.
>>
File: queen-size-loft-bed-plans-12.jpg (28KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
queen-size-loft-bed-plans-12.jpg
28KB, 512x384px
Something like pic related is what I was thinking for you. just measure your bed and the height you want, I would trust Lowe's to make good cuts though so I would recommend a circular saw at least. Could use 2x4s for pretty much everything but I would use 4x4s for the posts maybe. as far as screws and stuff, maybe use bolts for most of it just to make sure it doesn't collapses when your fatass bride climbs up in.
>>
>>1100444
No, the box spring is separate from the mattress. Box spring is 9in (without legs) and mattress is 9in

>>1100450
So you mounted yours from a wall? My walls are plaster so that's not really an option (plus I shouldn't do too much work on the walls in this apartment). I'm looking more for a free standing structure. I figure the design for a queen loft is just a twin loft x2

Come to think of it, I think this is a full size and not even a queen
>>
>>1100452
>bolts
Right, Re-reading OP, nails sound like a deathwish unless I'm using railroad spikes. I've got a drill I can use to bore the holes for the bolts or screws. I've also got my dad's saw I can use for the wood. I was also thinking square dimensions for the posts

>fatass bride
How dare you. I am the only fatass in this household
>>
>>1100435
They do if you tip them.

When I worked as a lumber jockey in college I based it all off of: how nice you were, how much time you gave me, and most importantly, if you paid me.

Dick who needed it right away? Purposely make a shitty cut.

Nice person who only needed a single cut? You got it within 1/16" (which is really all the better you can get with their shitty tools).

Person who needed a big list of cuts who offered me beer or cash and gave me time to complete it? I'd make sure everything was damn near perfect and not even charge you for the cuts.
>>
>>1100419
honestly, you could do it with just a hand saw and a drill if you needed to, but a power saw would help a lot

I'd be happy to draw up some things if you really need a design, but using 4x4s for the posts, 2x8s for the ends/sides, and 2x4s and OSB to hold up the mattress, it should be plenty strong

and no, definitely do not use nails....you will need carriage bolts to hold the main pieces together and 1.5-2" screws for the rest of it....no gluing necessary

honestly the people who run this board should have come up with a sticky with links for these things by now, but who knows what they're doing....
>>
File: Sequence-with-Shelves-537x356.jpg (32KB, 537x356px) Image search: [Google]
Sequence-with-Shelves-537x356.jpg
32KB, 537x356px
>>1100419

loft beds are for babbies, try out some thinner foam mattresses and think about making a fold away bed
>>
>>1100440
Yeah they are expensive because they are hard too make, and even harder to make safe. Different anon, but I also do not recommend building your own.

If you did manage to make one, it might hold for a little, but it would be dangerous after long term use, especially with two people rolling g around in it.

And you can forget about sex.

There's simply too many considerations to take into account to teach you in a few posts. Bracing, shear forces, moments of mass, wood strength, etc.

Just buy one, or simply get over the fact you aren't using 100% of the space available.
>>
>>1100501
Look at all this extra space.... That you can't fucking use because it needs to be tidy by bed time every night.

Trust me nothing gets a pussy dripping wet as quickly as a loft bed with a slide at the end. Chicks love it.
Just make sure you have a sofa or something in case you come home to drunk to make it up safely. It happens.
>>
>>1100495
Does it heing like 7 feet tall make a difference?
>>
>>1100528
no?
in what context?

made with the proper materials and fasteners, it should be very solid
>>
Ignore all the faggots in this thread telling you that you can't make a simple loft bed safely. It really is not that hard they just like to shit up this board with their sophomore physics class language without ever actually have done any diy themselves.
>>
File: 1443983081834.jpg (14KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1443983081834.jpg
14KB, 251x242px
>>1100523

>nothing gets a pussy wet like having to fuck a guy while not hitting your head on the ceiling that is 3ft above the mattress

ftfy
>>
>>1100553

>Here's my idea, I have no experience, no plan, and no idea how to Google the fundamentals.

Yeah, OP is a faggot.
>>
Keep in mind you are talking about static loads.

If your sex is more intensive than her lying still and thinking of the Queen, you better look at stress in all directions of force.

Just walking quickly can create a ground force of more than double weight.

You have to consider not only the possible point vertical load, but horizontal forces and twisting against joint in the structure, allowing it to absorb strain without failing, yet rigid enough to not wear out from large flex.

And don't forget you could end up in some weird harmonic with the whole structure and experience a Gallopin Gertie bridge failure model.
>>
Why not just build scaffold/shelving over the bed? you could use maybe a 1 or 1.5 feet of storage with bins.

Otherwise accept that it's just like your bathroom: It's usually a shitload of wasted space, but it's still not enough when you're actually using it for that small fraction of the time.

Besides, airflow would suck, the ceiling would absorb odors and sweat/fluid vapors/mists.

Use some really giant crown molding with LED strips for mood lighting if you are really desperate to use that space for something.
>>
Jesus this thread is full of civil engineer wimps. You sound like he wants to build a king sized loft waterbed for 30 nymphos over a daycare center.
>>
>>1100626

Great schematic.
>>
>>1100419
>I realized today I'm only using half of my room (10 1/2 foot ceiling).
5'3" manlet detected
>>
>>1100452
If you can, have collapsible STAIRS to the lofted bed, much easier/better than stairs/ladder.
Just do like in the pic but add sliders to pull out to have steps. Your back/legs/coordination will thank you. And you can carry your girlfriend up to the top in the heat of the moment.

4x4 usually come in eight foot or ten foot lengths. The rest you can get cut at the store for a little extra. 6 or 7 high weight rails to put steps on so you can slide steps out with wont be hard. Just make that section into storage facing your desk/couch. Large handle to pull the bottom out, with wood lip to hook and pull the next one and so on out. Think upside down drawers with no backs so you can store clothes and shit in them.
>>
>>1100419
Why not just buy pic related in IKEA?

It's like 250 US dollars. 140x200cm
>>
>>1100644
You're on the wrong board, son.

>>1100419
Tell your dad ahead of time. He will tell you not to build this. Loft beds and girlfriends do not mix.
>>
>>1100419
Queen sized? Wood is out. You need 1/4" square tubing, angle, I beams, maybe even some plate and then the fabrication/welding skills and tools necessary. By the time it's said and done you'll have a 500 pound loft bed that's still going to end up costing 1200, 1600 dollars. Just buy one.
>>
>>1100419
Dude, just build 10' shelves along one wall. Anchor them to the wall for stability and put all your shit on them. It's an easier project, and you'll probably enjoy the living space more.
>>
>>1100650
How would I access the shit on the top shelf? I was thinking making pull out shelves where each shelf could function as a step. Also is anchoring things in plaster difficult?
>>
>>1100594
GF is Thai, she thinks of the king.

I was also thinking maybe springs instead of planks across the bed. GF had a loft twin at her last place and they seemed to bear our weight and diagonal vectors (sex) pretty well.
>>
>>1100643

In that pic you can simply climb in from behind and shimmy up to the front, I doubt he uses stairs at all.
>>
>>1100688

Plaster isn't a wall, it's a wall cover.

There could be drywall on studs behind it, there could be gypsum blocks behind it, there could be a concrete wall behind it. If it's very old there could even be masonry behind it.

For anything but concrete you'd have to be careful with the load you put on.
>>
>>1100737
The building is 113 years old. What do you think that indicates?
>>
Just buy one you fucking idiot, unless you want to risk hurting you and your girlfriend, in that case natural selection took its course
>>
File: OP's-cuckbed.jpg (1MB, 3120x2089px) Image search: [Google]
OP's-cuckbed.jpg
1MB, 3120x2089px
Just go for it. What's the worst that could happen anyway?
>>
>>1100626
You're not going to bed those 30 nymphos when that attitude.
>>
>>1100435
That depends.

I worked lumber/construction materials at home depot and ya, their policy was based on simple cuts with a cost kicking in if you had more than 3, or 5, can't remember. I would try to make the cut as best as possible, but depending on who was working, the cuts could range quite a bit. I was one of the few working in that department who actually grew up around tools and construction (Dad enlisted my help in his self-employed construction jobs). But Home Depot is shit regardless. I'm sure other, non-"diy" type stores that actually have a long history of supporting the construction trades, would be better for providing consistent cuts, if they offer that service (most would rather you do it with your own tools, especially for complicated cuts).
>>
>>1100452
What's the significance of the three parralel supports on the one side, but the other two sides of cross supports. Why not have a cross support on that side as well?
>>
>>1100419
>college apartment
you cant anchor shit to the walls, so it must be free standing. also have a plan to take it down when you move.
the rest of this really isnt that complicated, you need a frame for the mattress, four legs, and some bracing for the legs.

>>1100452
pic is probably close to what youll end up with

>>1100847
ladder
>>
>>1100501
But you'd have to secure that cabinet/frame part to the wall so it doesn't tip over from the weight. OP already said he isn't keen on anchoring shit to his walls considering he's in an apartment.

But honestly, I don't see how OP can make a free standing loft that won't end up shaking/shifting from movement, especially if he makes it 7 feet high.
>>
>>1100644
That looks like it would support an asian, but not two (assuming American) non-Asian people, or even a non-Asian and Asian person (OPs gf is apparently Thai).
>>
>>1100847

The short side is inherently more stable against deformation of the square angles, also it serves as a ladder. He has diagonal braces at the other short side.

I'd do the bracing with a diamond shape, you can keep all the braces in plane (without real woodworking). Is more aesthetic.
>>
>>1100644
OP is prolly an amerilard. They are dat as fuck and that flimsy shit won't take the lard lolling around...
>>
>>1100690
The King is dead, long live the King. This is an international board though so one can say that the new King seems to be a bit of a cunt. But don't say that in Thailand because les majesté...
>>
>>1100626
A nymphomaniac daycare center... This isn't /b.

> I'm sickened, yet curious.jpg
>>
>>1100626
Never rule out the opportunity. I build my own furniture with the idea of a future 500 person orgy in mind. All bases covered, pleb.
>>
>>1100419
>wear
>in college
>worried about daddy

Bait much?
>>
Loft beds are easy to make strong. The best I've seen used sheets of plywood across the back and ends deck-screwed generously to the uprights. You can get a variety of metal deck fittings cheap at the same place you buy your wood.
>>
>>1100690
Pic of gf pls
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.