[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/DIY/ experts i need some advice, I'm looking to add trim

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: X9999_115908_00.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
X9999_115908_00.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
/DIY/ experts i need some advice, I'm looking to add trim to plywood, pic related. I don't have clamps for glue, is there any other way i can do wood glue without clamps or can i nail in small finishing nails
>>
>>1100090
You should clamp before using finish nails

Go buy some clamps, they arent expensive. You will fuck it up otherwise
>>
>>1100092
full table clamps or what?
>>
Go pick up 2 cheap dollar store ratchet straps and use them to sandwich the trim between the edge of the plywood and another board (to spread the force from the straps more evenly). If your too cheap to do this try glueing the trim on then setting the panel on edge so that the weight of the panel pushes against the trim and a flat backing board (so the ground doesn't mark up your trim). If the plywood is already in place then your gonna have a hard time doing it without clamps... finish nails might help hold but kinda defeat the purpose of glueing the trim on....... maybe make a brace and see if you can use it with a car jack and a long board? Use the long board to press up against an opposite wall and let the jack push the brace against the trim pushing it against the In place plywood? Probably not to hard to nock out of scrap 2x4s.... alternatively buy harbor freight clamps?
>>
If you're just trying to hide the plies on the edges of the sheet to give it a finished look then buy a shitty iron and a roll of edge banding matched to the species of plywood veneer, you can edge band a full sheet in under 10 minutes once you get used to it.

If you're putting some kind of moulding on the edge then glue and nail it.

Hand drive finish nail<15 or 16 ga. Finish nailer<18 ga. Brad nailer<23 ga. Headless pin nailer

Or fuck it and go buy some clamps. Assuming you need to clamp across the whole 4x8 sheet then long pipe clamps are a good investment.

Clamps in general are always a good investment really.
>>
If it's thick enough trim, just glue it, and brad nail it to hold it in place and tight. No clamps needed. The way I've always done it.
>>
If your lipping is reasonably flexible use masking tape pulled taught to secure in place as it glues. Approx 2" between tapes and have the tape pulled a good 6" either side of the edge.
>>
>>1100090

Several good alternatives already discussed. But you can also improvise a clamping jig if you have two long straight pieces of wood (scrap 2x4s for example) and 2 or more shims, and a wood work surface. From left to right, a 2x4 screwed down, the plywood, the banding strip, and a 2x4. screwed down, then tap the shims in between the 2x4 and the plywood to force the banding strip against the plywood at the other end.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.