[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to store stuff in a shed outside. It gets damp in there.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 148374[1].jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
148374[1].jpg
12KB, 400x400px
I need to store stuff in a shed outside. It gets damp in there. There are also squirrels. I'm looking at Rubbermaid Roughneck containers. How good are they at keeping out damp? Is there something better I should look into? It needs to be able to stack.
>>
>>1100073
Not very
I rented a storage unit, had all my shit in rubbermaid containers.
A lot of them were 25 year old rubbermaids, which are built MUCH better than new ones. I also had some brand new Roughnecks

Was in storage for 5 months, stuff got moldy.
>>
Fix your shed and store everything on shelves.
>>
>>1100076
Nothing to fix. The rain doesn't get inside. The moisture is in the air this time of year. As for the squirrels, they are natures fucking ninjas. I don't need to stop them, just slow them down.
>>
>>1100073
They keep out water fine, air not so much. If you're in a high humidity area, this will turn anything inside into rubbermaid sized bricks of mold.

Fix this somewhat by drilling holes in the bottom so air and condensed moisture can exit downward as it cools.
>>
>>1100091
>>1100075
Do you know of anything that is the size of a larger Roughneck that can keep the moist air out?
>>
File: 144947.jpg (15KB, 210x210px) Image search: [Google]
144947.jpg
15KB, 210x210px
>>1100095
Put desiccant into the boxes?
They sell it at dollar tree
>>
>>1100099
Good idea. What about a DIY seal for the box? I don't want it sealed so I can't open it but what about a DIY gasket of some kind? What would be some possible avenues that I could go down for that?
>>
>>1100073
Throw some dessicants in and duct tape them shut.
>>
i've had three 81L roughnecks outside on the balcony for 3 years without a drop of moisture getting inside, or any mold.
>>
>>1100102
Put some kind of silicone glue all around the rim and let it dry. When it's dry, it will seal the box when the lid is on.
>>
>>1100099
pro tip get fancy cat litter that is made of silica gel
it's more expensive than normal cat litter
but way cheaper than the same silica gel sold as desiccant
>>
>>1100102
Usually the handles have vent holes. Check for those if you do seal it up.
>>
File: K470_40844_0129-300x300.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
K470_40844_0129-300x300.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>>1100073
>Is there something better I should look into?
If you are really serious about protecting your stuff in less than perfect storage environments get ZARGES boxes or similar,
when bought new they are expensive as fuck; but you can get them as military surplus
or snag some old ones from your employer if you work at a place that regularly ships/receives sensitive equipment
>>
>>1100099
Bags of rice also help.
>>
>>1100073
I kept my gun parts kits in these. They rusted in my garage. Big mistake.
>>
>>1100073

>stuff

Be more specific fucknuts.
>>
>>1100073
>>>1100073
>Not very
>I rented a storage unit, had all my shit in rubbermaid containers.
>A lot of them were 25 year old rubbermaids, which are built MUCH better than new ones. I also had some brand new Roughnecks
>
>Was in storage for 5 months, stuff got moldy.
How dry were the things in the Rubbermaid to begin with? They're far from perfect, but they did ok for storing my books in the garage for almost 5 years before I moved. And where I live we have very humid summers. Admittedly we have bone dry winters as well.

OP, are you in IT and or friendly with the data center types at your work? When racks and other large equipment ship, they often have silica packets in them. Normal ones are the side of a sister packet. These ones are about a pound ( roughly 1/2 kg for non Americans).
>>
>>1100238
Sure thing, asswipe. It's stuff that I want to keep but is sensitive to getting too moist. Things like paperwork, important books, pictures, paintings, and prints. There is also some small wrought iron items small painted wood items. Things that I want to keep, have value, and are delicate but that I don't currently have space for in my current living situation.

>>1100200
WAY out of my price range. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

>>1100269
>>1100192
Yup. It's been suggested and is on the list of things I will do.

>>1100185
I will give that a shoot too, thanks.
>>
>>1100073
You need stuff that seals with a rubber o ring of some sort like nice Tupperware for soup. Or vaccume pack stuff and throw in desiccant packs
>>
Storage bins are not air tight, moisture gets in. Really bad if on the floor.
I wrap my stuff in garbage bags and tie up the end good, keeps the bugs and moisture out. Then put that in a bin to keep mice out.
>>
put your stuff in space bags, vacuum seal them, put bags in cheap totes to minimize critter damage, put totes on shelves to minimize floor space use
>>
OP wants to store his drugs outside so his faggot boyfriend doesnt find them and turn him into the popo
>>
>>1100073
Consider temperature.
If you box it all up indoors where its warm and then cart it outside the air inside the box cools down. Cold air can't hold as much moisture as warm air. Moisture will condense on the stuff in the box.
>>
>>1100075

you know rubber perishes right?
>>
File: c6b[1].jpg (12KB, 200x263px) Image search: [Google]
c6b[1].jpg
12KB, 200x263px
>>1100476
He thinks Rubbermaid uses actual rubber in their products.
>>
See if you can find some pelican space cases or ex-military containers for the more expensive items. They're a bit pricey, but I wouldn't store power tools outdoors is anything less.
>>
>>1100457

That's where activated desiccant comes in (packs can be reactivated in the oven). They will suck up all the moisture regardless.
>>
>>1100476
they make they with and without spermicide
it's a matter of taste.
>>
>>1100102
get window/door weather sealing gaskets/tape. Line the lip of the containers with them and they'll stay sealed.
Put something heavy on the topmost one in a stack that evenly holds the lid down to help seal it.
Just buy a couple bucks worth of the dollar store desiccants and put them in each one.

Keep them off the ground and you should be good to go.

Now squirrels on the other hand, they LOVE chewing high voltage wire and shorting shit out. Take that and look online in youtube for squirrel defense and the losing/winning battles.
>>
>>1100073
I used the Rubbermaid Roughneck containers while I was Roughnecking out in western North Dakota. Everyone had them on our rig.
>>
If you need to stack heavy things in those containers I would suggest taking the time to build some cheap/simple board and plywood shelves to hold them off the floor and off of each other. Just space them a little taller than the containers. A prime failure point for all brands, from cheap to pricey, is buckling under pressure or having the lid collapse.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.