[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Been helping my sister remodel her house lately, which includes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: 20161213_182729[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161213_182729[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Been helping my sister remodel her house lately, which includes putting up several (current count is 5) new light fixtures. One she had me do the other day used the lightbulbs pictured.

Let me tell you, I have never had so much goddam trouble out of a fucking lightbulb before. They have to be slotted in very precisely, and I can't see how they're going in because the sockets were really tight and had built in covers. Once you had the holes in, you have to twist them to lock them in place, except there's no goddam room, so you have to awkwardly grip the glass front and rotate it into place.

First time ever seeing these little shits, and I sincerely hope it's the last.
>>
Yeah, i have a light like that in my house. At least its lasted 5 years so far without needing to change.
>>
>>1099227
I would say, you've just got shitty sockets.
>>
>>1099227
They make little suction cup grabber things for these bulbs considering most of the time they are used in recessed lighting. I really wish I knew what their called for ya. Used them before but never bought one.
>>
>>1099230
THAT'S WHAT THAT WAS FOR!?
>>
Don't get me wrong, the light works, and it's super fucking bright (there's like, 4 bulbs), it's just they were a pain to put in compared to standard screw in bulbs. Really tight conditions and the amount of precision, combined with a dark hallway made it a not-ok experience.
>>
>>1099227
that's a GU10 connector which is the standard for small bulbs with a reflector running on mains voltage
>>
>>1099229
This. I never had problem replacing these bulbs.
>>
>>1099227
Electrician fag here. Yeah they suck. You get used to it and it becomes easy
>>
>>1099227
>complains about GU10s, when there are GU5.3s in the world.
Dude, there a dream, compared to the two-pin (that bend, break, etc) BS like MR16's. Your socket maybe has a bit of resistance as brand-new, or is manufactured to Shenzen Approx Tolerances.

Worst fuckers are (normal houselight) bayonet bulbs tho (Bongoland) etc. - whats that twisting in the dark? is it the bulb, the socket, the fitting? etc. - fucking nightmare
>edison masterrace
>>
>>1099355
You have to twist the bulbs to lock them into places, but the housing around the socket was really tight, and there was no other lighting in the hallway except for a flashlight.

She actually got some edison bulbs for the kitchen. They're not as bright as the big ugly fluorescent tube lights, but they look a lot better.
>>
File: 1478883236364.png (211KB, 680x1071px) Image search: [Google]
1478883236364.png
211KB, 680x1071px
>>1099355
>MR16
Triggered
>>
>>1099227
You can get a kind of small toilet plunger to take them in and out, has a lever to make it stick or unstick. Very useful

>>1099355
If you can't change a fucking bayonet lamp maybe you should get the nurse who dresses you in the morning and wipe the drool from your face to change it for you. Grab the lamp, push and twist. Not hard.
>>
File: bc3hack_10[1].jpg (20KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
bc3hack_10[1].jpg
20KB, 450x338px
>>1099483
Ive changed more lamp types than youve had blowjobs (which prob aint saying much).
Ive lived in both Bong and countries with acceptable bulb-swapping mechanisms, this being near the entire fucking world outwith the few odd corners the Brits have historically infected with this peculiar and particular garbage.
For my sins, I am currently living in Bong again, in a house with high ceilings, hanging lamps and blows a lot of bulbs, for some reason. I also do not like long-life meme-bullshit 'bulbs'. Trust me when i say, I know wtf I am talking about, the British Bayonet is a fucking atrocity for which reason alone they should be disqualified from having another Empire, ever.
Now, go and get fucked, you Britbong mong, stop talking shite and move somewhere where the swapping of proper incandescents can be a pleasure - would do you good.
>(Pic Related for those with the good fortune, not to be acquanted with these fuckers. Ignorance here indeed bliss)
>>
We have about 150 of those in our small conference room.

Blow one every day probably because 3rd world electricians or the brown outs every half an hour.

They are easy as piss to change out in recessed lighting.

You just push the face and twist. They are probably the only easy ones to change in sea blast areas because with the initial push you break the rust bond
>>
>>1099551
Very funny. Bayonet caps are pretty good in that they don't work loose with vibration. E.g from your headboard banging against the wall when I'm fucking your Mrs.
There's no need to be so butthurt that Brits invented practically everything.
>>
>There's no need to be so butthurt that Brits invented practically everything.

You mean the colonialist oppressors stole practically everything.

From Wikipedia:
The first documented use of this type of fitting (without the name "bayonet") may be by Al-Jazari in the 13th century, who used it to mount candles into his candle-clocks.[1]
>>
File: GU10 adapter.png (61KB, 352x339px) Image search: [Google]
GU10 adapter.png
61KB, 352x339px
>>1099227
>>1099258
>>1099355
>>1099551

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liroyal-Light-Socket-Converter-Adaptor/dp/B01M6AC10H/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1481938864&sr=8-14&keywords=gu10+light+bulbs
>>
It's a gu10,
when it comes to downlights 90% of the time the lamp holder isn't fixed and has about 100mm of play so there easy to change. If the lamp holder is fixed try using your palm or a suction cup.

Don't buy halogen again, try using a 5w+ led from a lighting store with a good warranty so it guaranteed not to be replaced anytime soon.
>>
>>1099227
I feel ya. I crushed one in my hand when applying the force to put them in.
>>
>>1099256
lmao, don't tell me you had the suction cup sitting around wondering what this shit is all about...
>>
>>1099227

DUDE, I don't know if it is a myth or not, but YOU NEVER TOUCH THESE LAMPS WITH YOUR HANDS

use a kitchen towel or some cloth to screw it in, they always told me the thing will be messed up if you touch it with hand grease.

Somebody every heard about this myth/truth?
>>
This type of halogen is protected by the outer shell.

It's when you touch the main glass that protects the filament with your bare hand it leave a spot wich burns causes the globe to pop/burnout faster
>>
File: tube-halogene-ampoule.jpg (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tube-halogene-ampoule.jpg
8KB, 400x400px
>>1100189
I've only heard that about these tubes (about 10cm/4inches long). I guess it apply to bulbs that heat a lot (they reach 400°C)
>>
>>1099227
Had two lights with these 8 years ago. Shunned them. Your sister done goofed. The consequences will never be the same.
>>
File: halogen.jpg (16KB, 314x315px) Image search: [Google]
halogen.jpg
16KB, 314x315px
>>1100678
the lamp in op's pick has a halogen lamp inside, the outside part is just the reflector.
the lamp inside is what you shouldn't touch which is fine because its inside
>>
>>1100189
>>1100678
this only applies to bare quartz bulbs: halogens, discharge and arc lamps are all made from quartz.
this guy >>1101116 knows what he's on about.
basically you can touch them all you want, just wipe the bulbs down with alcohol once they're installed to remove any oils.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.