[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My electric heater (the kind that blows out air) is acting strange

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: home heater.jpg (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
home heater.jpg
16KB, 400x400px
My electric heater (the kind that blows out air) is acting strange - it's heating for maybe 10 seconds, then there's an audible click and a flash of light from inside the grill, then it start pushing out cool air; wait 10 more seconds and it starts blowing out hot air again.

So, a) what causes this, and b) can I do something about this with basic tools?

Yes a new one's cheap but it's more of a /diy/ principle, I'd rather try to fix something first before replacing it.
>>
>>1098931
It is a safety feature. Make sure the fan is upright. There should be a switch that turns the off if tipped over so you don't catch your house on fire. Does it completely shut off?
>>
>>1098931
its probably the high limit switch that you hear clicking and breaking the circuit. thats usually due to low airflow either from it being dirty or the inlet/outlet being blocked in some way
>>
File: something.png (5KB, 520x305px) Image search: [Google]
something.png
5KB, 520x305px
>>1098942
It's obviously standing upright on its feet, so it must be something else. Also there's no switch in this one, its short legs keep it off the floor. It's more like pic related than the OP.
>>
>>1098950
>>1098942

God DAMMIT! Two of the screws have a head with 3 lines (like a handicapped cross) for safety, fuck this shit I'm gonna brute force my way in.
>>
its overheating, mine did the same thing.
Either the fan isnt kicking the air it should be and cooling it enough or the wire coils have a short.

Fan is easy to do, put a drop or 2 of oil on the sleeves of the motor making sure you just get enough on it to lube the shaft and not splash it onto the coils you should get a little more life out of it.
If the coils have a short just toss that shit right out. Mine had a short in the coils and I kinda bandaided it... then it caught on fire.
>>
>>1098950
>>1098965

Well, the fan spins just fine, I can't see a fault here. It must be shorting for whatever reason.

This goes beyond my skill :( I think I'll throw it away and buy a new one.

Thanks anyway /diy/, best board on this fucking site I swear, you guys are awesome.
>>
>>1098977
I see that this is three hours old, but just wanted to point out that on a cheap Chinese heater like this, a short wouldn't reset itself.

A hilimit acting as a thermostat would. It heats, satisfies while airflow is low, then cools, and turns back on. Although, it's probably meant for safety.

The hilimit is probably covered in shit, causing the contacting surfaces to be closer together than normal, causing a spark.
If it's new, it's probably metal flakes from shitty Chinese children's manufacturing.
>>
I have a love-hate relationship with these little fucks. I use them in a dusty workshop every winter. Every year one of them breaks and I take it apart, clean it and/or replace burnt wiring and keep using it until it dies completely or catches on fire. Every new replacement over the years gets harder to crack open to maintain, shittier, and more expensive. And yet, I almost look forward to spending 2 hours every winter fucking with one. There's something beautiful about the electrical gore to me, and the challenge of fixing something not worth fixing.
>>
>>1099175
Why not just buy yourself a good salamander and be done with it?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.