[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here fix watches? I asked on /fa/ then realized I probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Anyone here fix watches? I asked on /fa/ then realized I probably should just have asked here. I want to start fixing my own, any advice? I'm mostly trying to figure out where the best starter kits for tools are and if there's a cleaner worth having for around $100. Any advice is appreciated.
>>
What kind of watches are you wanting to fix and what are you wanting to do with them? Most quartz watches are very easy to work with (although they're easy to destroy too). Mechanical is a completely different ball game.

We do some stuff with quartz watches at work, if you had any questions. And I think there's a watchmaker anon that posts here too if you're lucky.
>>
>>1098740
I have an old Pobeda that I think has a busted mainspring. I figured if I could fix a mechanical, I'd probably be alright working on automatic movements. I also have two Lucerne jump watches that need to be dialed in; one's gaining about 10 minutes every day, the other one's getting 5. And of course, I've got a few lots I'm watching on eBay that have some nice pieces in them if I could get them to run.

Also why is it so goddamn hard to find a decent Bund band at a decent price?
>>
Oh, another question: Is a movement worth fixing when there's visible rust on the gears? Lots of the watch lots I see from Ukraine and Russia have a few rusty watches in them, and I'm 90% sure this means the watch can't be made to work right again.
>>
>>1098702
Amateur clockmaker/repairer here, fixed a few mechanical watches.

If you've never worked with fine mechanical equipment before, don't start with a watch. Even just taking them apart and putting them back together, a huge ordeal that even apprentices struggle with.

That being said, if you have a steady hand, good eyes, an organized bench and some free time, go for it. I fucked up my first time because I didn't keep the parts organized/labeled. Take it slow, be careful, and organize organize organize. Document every screw, literally, and take pictures. Worse case scenario, no more watch.

Also links to rusty watches?
>>
>>1098702
basically, if this image doesn't trigger your autism, watchmaking isn't for you
>>
>>1099141
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262757227053?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These were the watches I noticed first. On one hand, $30 for six watches isn't too horrible. On the other, I doubt any of these are useable.
>>
>>1099182
Dude, it's a stock image for an obscure hobby. Give it some slack.

>>1098868
Rusty watches are a good place to start, especially because if you fuck up, it's at most $5 down the drain.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.