[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some cost effective sources of dense mass? Dirt costs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: acmeanvil2.jpg (12KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
acmeanvil2.jpg
12KB, 320x240px
What are some cost effective sources of dense mass? Dirt costs basically nothing, but is not very dense, relatively speaking. Steel is five to ten times denser, but buying bolts just for ballast is probably wasteful. Bulky scrap metal is out of the question as I have nothing to cut it up with. Suggestions? I need about a bucketful in total.
>>
>>1098445
concrete
>>
>>1098445
Tungsten, lead etc
>>
Milk jug full of water
>>
>>1098445
Lead, if you live in Murrica you can probably get it for free. Go to a shooting range and ask for permission to get the lead, shovel some buckets and melt it at home like Cody (from Cody's lab) did.
>>
>>1098445
depends what you have available to you?
know any divers? diving weights.
mechanic? used wheel weights.
personal trainer? barbells
crane operators?
etc etc etc.
>>
>>1098445
Lead is probably the best option. A five-gallon bucket full of lead would be about 470 pounds. You can cast it into whatever shape you need, and you can include U-bolts or whatever into the casting to lift it by.
>>
>>1098445
an 80lb bag of quickcrete is like $4, bagged pea gravel is about the same.
>>
Go walk along the nearest railroad tracks and pick up all the loose railroad spikes you come across... takes a bit of walking but they're free... don't walk on busy tracks. Don't pull spikes out..
>>
>>1098445
Tire weights from a junkyard
>>
>>1098578
You know anon. U just made my day. Never though of actually going and taking them off. Wonder if the guy in town would allow this. Between that and all the batteries it's game on.
>>
>>1098857
lol scrap yards buy batteries in my area for$10- $15 a pop, good luck walking out with any for free
>>
>>1098530
In fact, they are not free. The railroad company owns them, and while they may not take issue with you taking a few, if they ever discover you have a sizeable quantity, they can prosecute. Even being on the tracks is technically trespassing.
>>
Go to the local tire shop and they probably have a bucketful of lead/antimony already they may let you have
>>
>>1098904
>scrap yards buy batteries in my area for$10- $15 a pop

Because the lead inside them is highly recyclable. Something like 98% of all lead in car batteries is recycled.
>>
Lead shot. The stuff that is in shotgun shells.
A random packing of equal spheres generally has a density around 64%.
The density of lead is 11341 kg/m^3.

Up to you to find a source and price of the shot and do the math.
>>
Is there a special rule forcing OP to conceal his intended use?

Only on 4chan does everynoob conceal their goals.
>>
>>1099502
OP here, just for you: I have placed my Oculus Rift sensors on the floor for a room scale setup because they can't be attached to walls like Vive's lighthouses. Now, I have a Roomba, and it bumps into things pretty hard when it cleans, so I want to make make my sensors harder to knock out of position by putting them into flowerpots and filling the flower pots with mass, and gluing anti-slip rubber pads to the undersides of the flower pots.
>>
I'm not making fun of you or anything, mind.
But I wish you could see how hard I'm laughing.
We live in a time that you have an autonomous vacuum knocking your virtual reality sensors out of place, and the best solution (I can't think of a better one) is basically 'fill a jar with rocks.'
The juxtaposition, man.
>>
>>1099531
>and filling the flower pots with mass

Just buy some cement (concrete, whatever) and fill the flowerpots with it.
You don't really need too much density. (unless the flowerpots are really small)
>>
>>1099531
Looks like you need to hack your roomba... Get an arduino, ultrasonic sensor, gps module, wifi module, 2x 1000mW laser and speakers.
>>
>>1099531
>...because they can't be attached to walls

make two small shelves
>>
>>1099810
I honestly didn't tkink of that. But now that I do, I would need to somehow verify the placement before I start drilling.

I dislike shelves in general because drilling holes in walls is something I can't undo or adjust.
>>
>>1099045
newfag
>>
>>1098445
Water
Lead
Rock
>>
Iron weights (not the shit plastic ones filled with cement) would be ideal for this because they are smooth, round, and can be adhered to or sit on rubber mats for extra traction. Most have holes for handles. They are common on Craigslist and thrift stores.
>>
>>1098527
Concrete is pretty light
>>
>>1099813
>I can't fix holes in my walls so I just dont hang things.

Thanks OP, I needed that laugh.
>>
>>1098445
Go to your local gun range. Even if you're not a shooter yourself, I'm sure they wouldn't mind you cleaning up the range for free. It's relatively easy to melt lead into more manageable ingots, just make sure you do it outside and wear a good fine particle mask. I know reloaded do this for making lead bullets for muzzle loaders.
>>
>>1098449
This OP, bucket of mix, pour in the water. Enjoy
>>
Really could use some more details OP as to how this is being used but.
If you need it to fit into a space roughly the size of a 5 gallon bucket, I wouldn't bother screwing around with wheel weights or spent bullets, I'd go to a corner garage and ask them for some junk brake rotors. 6 or 8 would fill that space and be cheaper than the barbell weights someone else was suggesting.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.