[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/. looking for a micro drill press. I need something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 41PhyAduBHL._SY450_.jpg (26KB, 332x450px) Image search: [Google]
41PhyAduBHL._SY450_.jpg
26KB, 332x450px
Hey /diy/. looking for a micro drill press. I need something that can *very* accurately drill small holes.

My first choice would be the Proxxon. Used it before in school and its absolutely based. Could I save money and get a cheaper one while achieving the same performance?
>>
>>1097730
u need big drills to go accurate

not the other way
>>
>>1097730
you need a solid base for the drill to sit on to reduce vibration
>>
File: 12400-B[1].jpg (33KB, 433x650px) Image search: [Google]
12400-B[1].jpg
33KB, 433x650px
>>1097736
Or you could get a drill that's made out of metal, instead of the shit most companies import from China these days. The more metal it has, the less it vibrates.
>>
>>1097744
wtf is that thing with the u joint on the side? power table upfeed or something?
>>
File: 12400-A[1].jpg (25KB, 283x650px) Image search: [Google]
12400-A[1].jpg
25KB, 283x650px
>>1097784
It's a foot feed mechanism. Near the base of the machine is a pedal. You depress the pedal with your foot and it pushes the drill bit into the wood. It's handy for when you have to make a lot of holes. This allows you to reposition the wood quickly since both hands are free.
>>
>>1097809
ah

that seems like a pretty handy feature.

i've seen a few older floor standing drill presses and none of them had any real extras like that
>>
>>1097809
That's a fairly rare foot feed and a very nice vintage drill press.

OP should also look into small precision milling machines, but those aren't cheap either.
>>
>>1097731
>u need big drills to go accurate

you need to not be using a drill to get accurate

drilling holes is inherently not accurate and should be a pre-operation before something like drilling or boring is done
>>
>>1097730
I was looking at the micro-drill presses about 6 months ago for knife making and after a lot of reading/reviews, there's a LOT of shit ones. Even the Proxxon ones tended to have problems of some sort or another within about 6-12 months and frankly, for the money they cost you're better off getting a bench-mounted press for the same price. But once you go under 1mm drill bits they tend to be a lot harder to use.

About the only one which didn't seem to fuck up and annoy 100's people was the little Micro-Mark Microlux 3 Speed- which is very simple, no features and dumb as a hammer.

Alternatively, you could hunt around for a vintage Cameron micro drill press, they're highly regarded but also very scarce on the ground.
>>
>>1097744
>>1097809
I really want a standing drill press. Where the fuck do I find one? I've been keeping my eye out on pawn shops, thrift stores, craigslist, and shit, and I haven't found any except a couple of old ones missing parts and one that was quite overpriced for a used piece of equipment.
>>
>>1098028
you forgot estate sales and auctions
>>
>>1098031
I am not going to drive from sale to sale trying to find a drill press. I occasionally dig through listings of those as well. The keywords would return estate sales if they listed out drill presses on classifieds searches as well.
>>
>>1098032
Also, how is a DELTA 17-950L? I am emailing someone about one now. What would be a fair price to pay? I'm going to try to get it for $275.
>>
>>1097730
I have one of those Proxxon TBM-220 that you have on the picture there
I use it for drilling PCBs, it gets the job done very well, can easily work with 0.3mm carbide drills, no play in it whatsoever

just make sure to pull the belt off the pulleys when you're not planning on using it for a while, otherwise you get a lot of vibration when you start it again
>>
>>1097730
Get anything that isn't chink shit or worn out shit
Also having proper vise/clamping kit helps a lot too
>>
File: rockwell-logo[1].jpg (9KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
rockwell-logo[1].jpg
9KB, 150x150px
>>1098033
>DELTA 17-950
Taiwanese poop. They polished that turd up real nice but it still doesn't hold a candle to their Rockwell era machines.

If it doesn't have this logo or the Delta Milwaukee logo then don't buy it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.