[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doing pic related next weekend, and I have a few questions.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: insulation.jpg (37KB, 400x283px) Image search: [Google]
insulation.jpg
37KB, 400x283px
Doing pic related next weekend, and I have a few questions.

First, I'm going to extend a shopvac into the attic to suck up as much mouse shit as I can/pine needles from old bird nest by vent, and generally patch the place up.

1. Should I flag electrical lines/lights with something before I blow insulation in over them?

2. How much of the mouse shit do I need to get out? I have a feeling that it's down in under all of the rolled stuff, too. If that's the case, I'd have to remove the rolled and reinstall or remove it.

3. Should I just go ahead and take out all of the shitty rolled batting, and then reinstall 100% blown insulation?

4. Any special precautions that I need to take around the heat pump in the attic?

5. I have a few empty or near-empty walls. Should I use rolled pieces to fill them in, then blow over them? Alternative is to board up the top of the hole, leave them empty, and then lay insulation over the new cover.

6. I'm in an old country home, so the wires/duct work/pipes in the attic are a complete clusterfuck. Any good way of determining what everything is and labeling it all before I snowblow the insulation?

7. How should I lay the insulation next to the attic stairs (fold-down), since I'm not supposed to compress the insulation? Right now there are big ply-wood sheets down over some of the rolled stuff for floor space. Remove these completely?

Really appreciate the help.
>>
>>1097534
>1. Should I flag electrical lines/lights with something before I blow insulation in over them?
If there are junction boxes in the attic they must not be covered. Lights should only be covered if they are IC (insulation contact) or in a junction box accessible from below.
>2. How much of the mouse shit do I need to get out? I have a feeling that it's down in under all of the rolled stuff, too. If that's the case, I'd have to remove the rolled and reinstall or remove it.
You should try to remove all of it, it may affect indoor air quality
>3. Should I just go ahead and take out all of the shitty rolled batting, and then reinstall 100% blown insulation?
Its just going to compress anyway, I would take it out, but again, it's going to compress, so do what you will
>4. Any special precautions that I need to take around the heat pump in the attic?
There should be clearances listed on the unit,if there aren't you probably don't need to worry about it.
>5. I have a few empty or near-empty walls. Should I use rolled pieces to fill them in, then blow over them? Alternative is to board up the top of the hole, leave them empty, and then lay insulation over the new cover.
Why don't you blow cellulose down the walls and dense pack them.
>6. I'm in an old country home, so the wires/duct work/pipes in the attic are a complete clusterfuck. Any good way of determining what everything is and labeling it all before I snowblow the insulation?
Why? Whats it matter, if theres a problem you aren't going to remember, and the tradesperson won't believe you anyway.
>7. How should I lay the insulation next to the attic stairs (fold-down), since I'm not supposed to compress the insulation? Right now there are big ply-wood sheets down over some of the rolled stuff for floor space. Remove these completely?
Most places have a plywood box around the attic access to keep the insulation from falling out. you can just cover the ply, its not going to hurt anything.
>>
>>1097554
Thank you so much, that is incredibly helpful. You seems to really know what you're talking about.

My only follow-up is regarding the lights. Right now, I can basically see then entire back end of several of the fixtures when I'm in the attic. If I get closer, I can peer through the holes in the back to see the light and into the house.

What should I do to cover these?
>>
File: IMG_0383.jpg (32KB, 446x336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0383.jpg
32KB, 446x336px
>>1097576
Also make sure you don't cover your eave vents.

They do make styrofoam covers for can lights so you can insulate over the top of em.
>>
>>1097589
thanks. looks like I'll have to install the sheathing myself before blowing. right now the insulation just stops before getting to the eave
>>
File: 1426658431973.jpg (168KB, 847x605px) Image search: [Google]
1426658431973.jpg
168KB, 847x605px
related question: the roof in my place has batted insulation with a thick (half inch?) of dust on it. I feel like this would effect air quality even though the roof space is "sealed" to the inside (obv vented to the outside)

trouble is that the roof space is not big enough for a man to fit in height wise it's impossible to crawl through so the insulation must have been installed when the place was built (before the roof was sheathed)

is there anything that can be done about this without taking the roof sheathing off and replacing the insulation?
>>
>>1097534
my tip for you is to use an extendable/telescoping pole and duct tape the hose to it. you won't have to crawl all over the place as much then.

I was able to do my entire attic without having to leave the access point.
>>
I can't be arsed to google it. But I'm pretty sure mouse sh*t is toxic when you inhale particles of it. Like when being vacuumed or swept.
>>
>>1097637
this is only useful if your soffit is vented (in most instances it should be, but isn't always)
I'm >>1097554 what kind of lights do you have below? Are they large pot lights with the lights recessed into the ceiling? Or are they junction boxes with the lights hanging below the ceiling?
Also, what this guy said>>1098106 mouse shit (and there may be bat shit mixed in) isn't something you want to breath in.
>>
>>1098106
Correct. Also see "hantavirus".
>>
>>1097534
Cover each junction box and housing (unless ic rated) with a large coffee can.

Then remove the can after blowing in.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.