[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I live in an old house that is on a concrete slab. There is no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: SetWidth696-Fig-3.75[1].jpg (38KB, 696x468px) Image search: [Google]
SetWidth696-Fig-3.75[1].jpg
38KB, 696x468px
I live in an old house that is on a concrete slab. There is no basement and the foundation doesn't go very deep because there is basically no frost heave out here. That said, it does get cold enough that I can really feel the cold through the concrete slab. Only around the edges of the building, though.

I did some research and it seems that the edge of the slab, especially where it is exposed to the air, is where a ton of heat is lost. They do make products to insulate it but I can't find anything helpful about how to insulate an EXISTING home. It's all shit that you have you have to install at the time of construction. That is about 65 years too late for this house.

Does anyone know of a product or a web page or something that I can use to research this? Can I just dig down to the edge of the slab and glue something onto the side of the concrete and then backfill the dirt? What could handle the dirt, water, pests, etc?
>>
>>1097142
Without a section of your wall showing existing insulation and finishes it is hard to tell what exactly are we dealing with

Some sketches or pictures will be good
>>
>>1097146
The framed structure is covered by wood siding. Below that it is exposed concrete. Below that is dirt. I'm trying to insulate the vertical portions of the concrete that are below the wood siding and extend down into the dirt. There is no existing insulation or finishes as the house was built in the 50's and they didn't do fancy stuff like that to concrete then.
>>
>>1097153
With no insulation, your concrete floor does not matter really especially when it is touching the ground already

You can insulate it but you will need protection for the insulation, and water proofing for the whole set up, i.e. building a new wall, there is no easy way to insulate the little strip and even if you did it the effect will be minimum

Time to build a new house I guess

Or wear slippers
>>
>>1097142

Why not just put in a floor with some insulation?
>>
Area rugs work very well and you can remove them for periodic cleaning. Fast, easy, and easy to maintain by vacuuming.
>>
>>1097142
probably wouldnt look pretty but you could use some insulation expansion joint around the base? that would only help with the exposed side though
>>
>>1097159
The walls are insulated. It's the floor I am losing the heat out of.

>>1097213
Because that would cost a metric fuckton of money.

>>1097250
Every room in the house is carpeted except the kitchen and the bathrooms. They are tile. Those are the rooms I am having the problems with.

>>1097257
Thank you. I will look into that. I can't see it looking much worse than 60 year old concrete.
>>
Search Kingspan Kooltherm.

I'm going to guess you're in the US so I'm not 100% sure you can get that exact brand but I'd imagine there will be the same stuff available but it isn't cheap.

Their insulation board is used now in pretty much every new building in the UK as it is brilliant for insulating cavities and concrete.

Really what I would do is insulate the floor rather than the exterior of the slab by laying down those thermal boards, there is proper stuff for screed and laying a sand screed on top and could even introduce underfloor heating.

If you are just looking for the least disruptive way of doing it then trench out around the foundation slab, again fix those thermal boards to it and I'd encase it within another concrete layer but using the super light aerated concrete if available as that will also add insulation properties.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.