[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since nowadays most kitchens you can buy are mass produced, overpriced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Since nowadays most kitchens you can buy are mass produced, overpriced and of low quality, would it make sense to build a kitchen by your own?

Did anybody here try it?
>>
>>1096970

I don't think the made to order system kitchens are overpriced. For a fraction more money per cabinet than at Ikea you have something custom fit. Sure it's foil covered MDF, but it's cheap.
>>
>>1096985
I did that last time, ordering a custom fit kitchen from a small business.
Now its not even 3 years ago and the kitchen already is falling apart and looks worn off with little to no usage.
I'd call that quite overpriced.
Even IKEA would've been better quality.

Comparingly, in my other flat I have 30-40 year old kitchen that was used very extensively and not being taken care off, and still works and looks marvelous.
>>
>>1096970

RTA cabinets can actually be of good quality/price. I usually do RTA base and then build the wall cabinets myself. If you are doing something standard like a shaker or something white nobody notices anyways.
>>
If you gonna throw some money at it, spring for a custom counter top (decent wood, etc) first, then, standard under cabinets from a good supplier (natural wood, etc) - you got any money left after that lot (doubtful), you can throw in some IKEA cabinets.

Advantage of the IKEA stuff, you can change doors / fittings (handles and shoite) regularly, without ripping everything out (see: wimmin, 'ive changed my mind' etc.). But custom build, unless you can do everything yourself, gonna get expensive real quick, and doing everything 'best quality'.. you'll quickly learn exactly why IKEA sells a shitload - its literally the path of least resistance.
>>
>>1096970
If you have a small woodworking setup sure.. But if not that shit cost money. To make your life easy.

Tablesaw+ ripping cut blade and low TPI blade. Minimum.

Router with good router bits. Carbide is sharper and stays so. So cuts cleaner.

Planer, the power kind you slide boards through.

A pretty simple set of chisels. 1/4" 1/2" 3/4 1"
>>
>>1097019
Costs money but I got 3 kitchens to change, so maybe a pretty good alternative
I'll def look into getting the stuff, I've never made anything out of wood, but shouldnt be too hard i guess.
a few youtube videos and somebody that helps me out should be sufficient.
>>
>>1096970
>most kitchens you can buy are mass produced,
Ugh... where the hell do you live OP?
Here in Poland most people buy customized kitchen furniture, so that it fits neatly in the available space. Of course, the manufacturers always try to fit "standard" sizes first, but afaik each piece of furniture is still produced on demand.
>overpriced
The only overpriced elements are runner/drawer systems (blum is most common here). All but that is at reasonable prices.
>>
>>1097422
In the US there are a lot of standard sized cabinets, mass produced as cheaply as possible. Custom kitchen cabinets and arrangements are widely available but they cost more than most people want to pay.

Kitchens are the most expensive rooms in every house mostly because of the cabinetry. Unfortunately, mdf boxes are most popular because they look decent, but only cost a few thousand installed. Even plywood boxes increases the cost significantly, and high quality stuff can be 30% of a house's cost. Your average new home buyer wanting a decent kitchen simply doesn't have the money for anything but the cheap boxes.
>>
>>1096970
>Did anybody here try it?
My roommate's dad one made him a set of hand-made cabinets. Really good stuff.
We ripped out the old press-board shit and put the new oak cabinets in, then put in ceramic tile for the counter-top and wall between the upper and lower cabinets.
Really looks good, very durable, overall a great kitchen.
But if you had to pay everybody involved a reasonable wage, it would have cost as much as the rest of the house.
>>
>>1097430

> Even plywood

How do you mean "even"? What else are you going to use which is better?
>>
You can find "utility" cabinets made the same as "kitchen" cabinets for much less money. Do some creative shopping. My wife did two of our kitchens that way.
>>
>>1097422
I live in a few places.
I know about Poland and it's kitchens, it's good quality for a very reasonable price, especially if you go directly to the producers which you can find on the weekend market. But that's Poland again, you have loads of well skilled workers that provide good work and service for a cheap price.
Especially since in western europe a huge part of furniture and kitchens is being imported from Poland, you can buy them directly there.

But like
>>1097430
said, getting such a good deal for that quality for a kitchen isn't possible everywhere, I could only buy the kitchen(s) in Poland and let them be transported to my place, which also isn't the best way to do it desu.
Kitchens are just pricey as fuck in the West. Especially good ones.

>>1097432
Sounds great.
Of course it would cost a lot, but then again you're doing it yourself and you put in the extra work to produce great quality. That's exactly what I'd like to do.
I'm just not sure how well I'd do considering I've never worked with wood, but it shouldn't be impossible at all.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.